• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you believe in breeding?

Do you believe breeding is okay?

• Yes

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 50.4%
  • Other...Discuss.

Votes: 23 19.7%

• Total voters
Good point I meant species...although white tigers are a breed of tigers aren't they...so maybe I mean both...:?:? Bad example as albino rather than breed but panther/ jaguar are same species but diff breeds? Sorry not very awake so mumbling!

That's right you get black jaguars and leopards that are often called panthers but they are simply colour variants of the normal animal. Domestic animals like rabbits, dogs, some cat breeds and livestock have this taken to more of an extreme and their body shape is different too.:)

Someone made a commnt on another thread (can't remember which) that rat people seem to have it better sussed than rabbit people. Rats are generally bred for health and temprement first and appareance second and the good breeders have waiting lists for kittens no matter what colour they are."

i know of some rabbit breeders like this and they always have people waiting for their lovely rabbits.

With rabbits it seems to be the opposite and I keep seeing the excuse of "being bred to improve the breed" which seems to mean "being bred to win more prizes at shows" rather than to actually improve the health of the animal. If it were the case that breeders wished to "improve" the health of rabbits then we'd probably see a lot less rabbits with oddly shaped heads, ears etc that left them prone to health problems."

I dont think you can breed for health reasons as you would still get the same problems.I think perhaps some people breed from a rabbit to much or breed from a rabbit that has health issues already which then passes on to the young rabbits.

Conservation of breeds (and lets not mix up the word "breed" with "species") doesn't matter a jot to me. I wouldn't care less if rare breeds of rabbit died out when the only reason they exist in the first place is not because they're particulary docile or hardy but because their looks are appealing."

I find this abit sad as there are so many stunning rabbits like lots of other stunning animals that are bred so they dont go instinct.

Last edited:
I dont think you can breed for health reasons as you would still get the same problems.
Rat breeders manage it OK, breeder rats are generally a lot hardier and less prone to health problems than rats from pet shops (i.e. farms). The problem with breeding rabbits for health is, as I've said, that it often means that more healthy rabbits don't look like a good example of whatever breed it is or it'd cease to be a breed at all.

I find this abit sad as there are so many stunning rabbits like lots of other stunning animals that are bred so they dont go instinct.

I don't think it's sad at all, mother nature doesn't give a snuff what animals look like as long as they are built to survive and reproduce. Rabbits aren't endangered by any stretch of the imagination so in my mind it doesn't matter if a few man-made varieties are lost.

That's just my views on things though, I might be putting them really badly but it's early.:lol:

That's just my views on things though, I might be putting them really badly but it's early.:lol:

:lol::lol:
Im pants at putting views across my words never come out like they should or i would like them to:lol::lol:

Absolutely not, unless it's to save a species of animal that is on the verge of extinction or is for consversation reasons.

Totally agree with everything that Crunchie & Bunny Friend has said - sorry but whilst rescue animals die, there is no place for bringing more unnecessary animals in this world.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but I actually find it very selfish that humans breed animals because the want to create a perfect breed :( Perfect for who? Us humans to have something nice to look at or because we think it's got a better temperament?

Rat breeders manage it OK, breeder rats are generally a lot hardier and less prone to health problems than rats from pet shops (i.e. farms).

Yes I agree with you there and it's the reason I chose to go to a breeder, and it was the ONLY reason I chose to get home bred rats instead of rescue/pet store. I haven't had a single problem with my girlies as yet, they both appear to be incredibly hardy :D

I'm anti irresponsibility, which means different things for different animals, I think.

What I would like to see is all breeders, of any species in the UK, tightly monitored and have to have a license to breed (one that can be removed if conditions are not ok, healthy, appropriate, responsible, with regards to the animals they keep). I would also like to see all animals selled spayed or neutered to prevent any unwanted litters, 'accidental' litters, or BYB breeding.

I can dream, right?

i dont mind the idea of breeding but i struggle so understand why animals are not treated with more respect and less like money making schemes, seems some people really dont care for the animal they have turned into a baby factory and that really upsets me, they deserve to be happy too :cry: and i totally hate anyone who inbreeds animals :evil: :evil: it should be banned like it is for humans!!!

i do agree with breeding, not cross breeds as there are far to many but if you have a rare breed and the person looks after them and they have a good home i see no poblem with it, rabbits are designed to have babies hence "breed like a rabbit" so i think if done responsibly and its to preserve a line or certain type then it is ok

I voted for other. Within reason I suppose.
I am against backyard breeding of all kinds.
I agree in breeding rare species, or elite competition animals.
However, there are too many rescue animals in the country for people to be breeding unnecessarily from their animals, it really gets my goat.
I'd like to breed some of my own horses in the future, but they would be for my own enjoyment and I would never sell them on! People could argue why wouldn't I just get some rescues, but I greatly believe in nature+nuture so would want to have them from birth (they'd be competition horses), I'd only breed 2/3. (This is in fantasy land by the way hahaha)
Over this Summer I am however planning to buy a sorry looking pony from the slaughter sales as a companion for Obie.

No, because there are too many animals desperately waiting for a home in rescue centres, and many get pts because there are not enough good homes :( A very sad situation- it's just not right to bring more lives into the world when we don't take care of those already here.

Agree with this, I don't see the need for it at all at this moment in time.:(

Someone made a commnt on another thread (can't remember which) that rat people seem to have it better sussed than rabbit people. Rats are generally bred for health and temprement first and appareance second and the good breeders have waiting lists for kittens no matter what colour they are.

With rabbits it seems to be the opposite and I keep seeing the excuse of "being bred to improve the breed" which seems to mean "being bred to win more prizes at shows" rather than to actually improve the health of the animal. If it were the case that breeders wished to "improve" the health of rabbits then we'd probably see a lot less rabbits with oddly shaped heads, ears etc that left them prone to health problems (but which win prizes at shows).

Conservation of breeds (and lets not mix up the word "breed" with "species") doesn't matter a jot to me. I wouldn't care less if rare breeds of rabbit died out when the only reason they exist in the first place is not because they're particulary docile or hardy but because their looks are appealing or they were bred for something they're no longer needed for (angoras).

exactly how i feel. if the breeders are responsible and breed for wellness, personality and hardiness, I don't have a big problem with it, but breeding for the appearance and NOT caring if they're inbred or got inherited problems, that's another matter. If the breeder loves the animals and doesn't just do it for the money, keeps in contact with new owners and possibly vets new owners, then it's best. I don't mean better than rescuing with that statement. xxx

No, because there are too many animals desperately waiting for a home in rescue centres, and many get pts because there are not enough good homes :( A very sad situation- it's just not right to bring more lives into the world when we don't take care of those already here.

^^^This! :wave:
As for breeders claiming that they're trying to 'improve the species', nature has been very good at doing this; it's called evolution! :)

^^^This! :wave:
As for breeders claiming that they're trying to 'improve the species', nature has been very good at doing this; it's called evolution! :)

It's a bit of a contradiction in terms as far as most pet animals go isn't it.:lol:

Like I said before, I agree with it if it's not done for fun. :) It's not natural for animals not to breed, we don't go around neutering and spaying humans! :lol: I don't understand why loads of you are so against it and say "you should adopt" but I bet hardly any of you have adopted children and have had or want your own birth kids.... :roll:
Saying that though, I 100% agree with spaying and neutering. All of my rabbits have been done. :) Without breeding, we would eventually have no healthy bred animals. :? Do you all want ill ones? :(

Im against breeding while so many pets sit in shelters waiting for homes.
When I hear the come back "if we didnt breed youve have no pets in the end" it makes my blood boil. I would sleep much better at night if the whole world was banned from keeping pets as to many people abuse the "right". Its sad that I have to think like that but to many pets suffer at the hands of humans. :(

Im against breeding while so many pets sit in shelters waiting for homes.
When I hear the come back "if we didnt breed youve have no pets in the end" it makes my blood boil. I would sleep much better at night if the whole world was banned from keeping pets as to many people abuse the "right". Its sad that I have to think like that but to many pets suffer at the hands of humans. :(

yes but what would happen to them. :? We couldn't set them free, they wouldn't know how to survive and we wouldn't kill them off! :?

Back