• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I bring him in?

I'm not sure. Not more than a week. It's quite mild outside. I was just outside with just a cardi, and wasn't too cold. He's been outside most of today, and last night I kept him in the kitchen, which I don't have the heating on in.

In or out? I can do either happily.

Mild outside where do you live:shock: Its freezing here:lol:

He's 6 months old and not bald on his feet, but very thin in some places (the heel mostly)

In that case you need to keep him off carpet as much as possible. The best substrate is soft thick hay but I know that may not be possible whilst he's indoors. I use Vetbed covered with a cotton sheet for Lydia.

Keeping his nails short and his weight down (Rexes are VERY greedy !!) will also help. Chances are if he already has very thin fur on his feet and he's not yet a year old he will have some 'issues' with his hocks.

In that case you need to keep him off carpet as much as possible. The best substrate is soft thick hay but I know that may not be possible whilst he's indoors. I use Vetbed covered with a cotton sheet for Lydia.

Keeping his nails short and his weight down (Rexes are VERY greedy !!) will also help. Chances are if he already has very thin fur on his feet and he's not yet a year old he will have some 'issues' with his hocks.

:shock::shock::shock:...darn! I'll get some vet bed....although I'm positive he'll wee on it *grumble*:roll:. I think he's slightly overweight...but then again, with no exercise I guess he's likely to be. He won't let me look at his feet, so I've only felt. When he's neutered I'll get the vet to check them. See what his fur coverage is like!

Bluebunny....it's been a really good day today!! Nice and mild! I was out with just a cardi and I feel the cold so badly!!

Its not a death sentence though - my girls have a pink spot on each hock - gets redder sometimes, but mostly is pale and not inflammed, with varying amounts of healing skin on it. Phoenix's is growing hair back at the moment.

They never show any signs of discomfort or pain with them - will happily sit up on their feet and periscope for ages etc. I put savlon gel or sudocrem on them if they do get more red. So it isnt necessarily a problem in the long term, the severity varies greatly. but i agree about the weight - my two are greedy pigs! :lol::lol:

Its not a death sentence though - my girls have a pink spot on each hock - gets redder sometimes, but mostly is pale and not inflammed, with varying amounts of healing skin on it. Phoenix's is growing hair back at the moment.

They never show any signs of discomfort or pain with them - will happily sit up on their feet and periscope for ages etc. I put savlon gel or sudocrem on them if they do get more red. So it isnt necessarily a problem in the long term, the severity varies greatly. but i agree about the weight - my two are greedy pigs! :lol::lol:

I have sudocream everywhere!! ...in pots!

Problem is, he's going to be a full time indoor bunny....with carpet. Should that be ok?

Problem is, he's going to be a full time indoor bunny....with carpet. Should that be ok?

its certainly not recommended, especially if he already has signs of thin hair....depends where and how you will house him - you could put lino down? Do you have a lino/board kitchen he could run around in?

You could always put him back out in spring....

its certainly not recommended, especially if he already has signs of thin hair....depends where and how you will house him - you could put lino down? Do you have a lino/board kitchen he could run around in?

You could always put him back out in spring....

...then I'd have to get him another friend....:shock:...I guess the new bun coming could be his friend, but I wanted all three Frenchies together, and think they'd make a good four. I could put lino down in their "pen".

remember if you get a vet bed dont machine wash unles you stick it in a pillow case or something first, been a few members here whos washing machines have packed up because of them

We've been told with Bisc that if you make sure he has some uneven surfaces to walk and spend time on then he should be fine, as he is not always then putting all the pressure on his hocks. We have a couple of bean bag chairs that she climbs up and down, and she nips up and down the stairs. Her hocks are fine, but she is a lionhead. :?

Back