• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma, what to do - updated

Good luck with whatever you choose to do Kathryn. :) I hope people are more sympathetic towards your situation then they were mine.

Don't let Elve get to you Veronica. She's got high opinions on everybody. ;)

Louise

Good luck with whatever you choose to do Kathryn. :) I hope people are more sympathetic towards your situation then they were mine.

Don't let Elve get to you Veronica. She's got high opinions on everybody. ;)

Louise

Thanks Louise. I hope things are improving with your situation, I can't imagine how hard it's been for you. xxx

:D Have found the thread I mentioned to Veronica and SEE WHAT ADVICE YOU GAVE HER KATHRYN!!! ;)
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73696&page=3

I believe I said this

Veronica, I've had a health condition for years now that prevents me working etc and again, I'd say look at the tasks you need to do, and amend them to find an easier way to do them. Maybe you need to lower your standards slightly - you don't need to pull out hutches every time you sweep, your buns won't mind a slight mess and your happiness is important and if buns make you happy, I'd say compromise to find a way to keep them - just don't add any more

To be honest if I 'lowered my standards' anymore my rabbits wouldn't be cared for so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say and I wish you would stop trying to pick an argument with Veronica on this thread. We're not discussing Veronica's past decisions or standards of cleanliness we're discussing ME having FM, no one else has to come and clean MY rabbits out, I do and it's ME who's in pain not you, Veronica or anyone else, I really don't see what the decision Veronica made almost a year ago has any relevance now other than she can offer advice just like you and anyone else can - that's what I asked for and I've taken on board everyone's opinions and am not going to rush into any decision :)

Also I said if they make you happy keep them - well right now I'm not happy, they're a painful chore and that upsets me that I feel like that

kayjay: Do what feels right to you. It's important to minimise stress as I said earlier. You have everyone's support in whichever decision you make as that decision will be made with your bunsters at the forefront of your thoughts.:)

Just to say good luck and my best wishes whatever you decide, you are a good bunny mum and i know if you decide to rehome a pair of your bunnies you will only do it through Kay and through Kay they will have an equally good home ( or find a good home):D

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - I'm off for the weekend now so am not 'ignoring' my thread!!

My FM comes in fits and starts so I'll give it a month and see how I go. I'm going to take on board what elve said and try and get more of a routine and keep on top of them. I had Teddy out last night and I love him sooo much that I don't want to give him up and live to regret it so I'll give it a month or so and reassess then

Thanks for everyone's input, it has been helpful - honest!!

Kathryn xx

Kathryn,

I'm so sorry to hear that your health is getting worse, and thinking of rehoming Teddy & Jemima is a very caring decision to make, as you are thinking of them and there future too.

I found it really hard when I gave up Maddie, but she now has a wonderful home with Mad Bunster, and the decision was right all round.

Thinking of you, and I hope you can come a decision, that feels right for you and your circumstances.

((hugs))

Julia
x

I have a long term heart condition and had a bleed on my brain just two weeks after getting Buster. I also felt it was cruel for him to be in a cage all the time so I brought him a play pen. Some days he spends all day in it and others he runs around the floors but he is so happy and charges around the pen in the morning and spends all day sleeping, eating and playing. I also have cfs and know between all three of my illness the exhaustion and to a degree the pain you feel. I have good and bad periods and I am fortunate that I managed to move back in with my parents so they would do things for him but I do manage it myself (and I still have paralysis down my left side).

I also have a dog and a cat to look after and I manage all of them. Some days they have breakfast late, doggie misses her walk and they go a week ungroomed but as long as they are clean, warm, healthy, happy and loved I think you will be fine. I can say I do clean Busters cage everyday but only because he is so messy. On a bad day he has a dirty tray topped up with fresh hay. My mum and dad hoover for me so I don't have that to worry about. I think animals give you a reason to keep going and my health would rapidly deteriorate without them.:D

Good Luck with your health and remember you have to do what's best for you.

I had a chat with Kathryn over the weekend and Kathryn isn't a person to give up her animals for the sake of it and she will really think long and hard before she reaches a decision as she loves her rabbits to bits and will only make a decision which is right for them. I admire Kathryn's honesty and the fact that she is still giving the rabbits the love and care that they need even though she is in alot of pain.
Teddy & Jemima have a brilliant home waiting for them if the decision is made and kathryn will be able to go and see them whenever she wants.

I really do have to thank you Kathryn for giving MJ & Jemima a loving home:D

I had a chat with Kathryn over the weekend and Kathryn isn't a person to give up her animals for the sake of it and she will really think long and hard before she reaches a decision as she loves her rabbits to bits and will only make a decision which is right for them. I admire Kathryn's honesty and the fact that she is still giving the rabbits the love and care that they need even though she is in alot of pain.

:thumb:
I hope you are ok Kathryn xx

Hi Kathryn; if it's any reassurance I only clean my shed out once every 2 days and haven't disinfected it ever! I am of the ilk that a bit of dirt never hurt anyone, I grew up pretending to eat mud pies and am pretty sure I ingested a fair amount of dirt but it hasn't done me any harm. I think you need to do what is best for you. If you aren't enjoying having all 4 of the buns then rehome 2 of them, there is no point in keeping them if they make you feel miserable.
I agree completely with what Mandy said about them being happy with adequate but you need to do what is right for you.
I hope you are feeling better today and that any decision you come to isn't too painful for you.
Take care, x Jess

Hello Kathryn:wave:

Just putting my pennys worth in :D

I think like others have said, you need to do what is best for yourself and for the rabbits and only you can judge that as its you going through the pain and stress of trying to care for them to the standard that you want them to be cared for.
I think the best owners are the ones that know or realise their limitations and adjust accordingly whether its simply changing a feeding routine to having to rehome due to taking on too much or being in a physical or financial position where its not good for any of the animals and humans involved any longer.
At the end of the day you have your beloved bunnies interests at heart and noone can fault you for that.
I hope everything turns out ok for you all and your own health improves at some point (I dont know anything about FM:oops: ) :)

Thanks Kay, Mandy, B&T and Leanne xx

Still thinking about it, I love Teddy and Jemima to bits and that's not in question. My friend came to visit and said 'oh my god that white rabbit is gorgeous' and a friend who fed them last week texted and sent hugs to Teddy. I do think I'll regret giving them up but the home Kay has got for them sounds fabulous and tbh they'd have a more free-range lifestyle than they do now as they're in a run more or less all the time here. Pippa and MJ are more than happy to be in a run, cuddling and eating and protest if I drag them out but Teddy and Jemima love being out which is the life they'd have if they went to Kay's friend.

It's a :censored: hard decision to make :(

Well Kay had very kindly arranged for Teddy and Jemima to go to her friends where they'd have a fab life and I was supposed to go this morning to drop them off

Last night I went out to them and both ran over demanding nose rubs and Teddy groomed my hand and I came in in tears so David said keep them :D I've texted Kay - we'll reassess the situation in a few months. David's promised to help move the hutches onto a slabbed area and all in the same area to make it easier to look after them. Fingers crossed I can

I'd like to thank Kay for being so wonderful and taking time to chat to me on the phone - you're a lovely lady Kay, thank you :love:

Hooray! :D Tears have convinced your hubby anyway - hopefully you will find it 'do-able' once the hutches are moved as it sounds like Teddy and Jemima love their mummy :p

I was very pleased last night when I got the text. You know where I am at anytime and as regards the new home for them then that will always stand if or whenever they do get to the point that you can't manage them. I am always here if you need me.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sorry Kathryn, since starting work again I have to be a bit more selective about which threads I read and this one completely slipped my radar :roll: . So sorry to read you are unwell, I really hope your health improves. You know you are all welcome over here and we'd love to come to you at some stage and meet your gang. So glad you are keeping all four for the moment, but it wouldn't have made any difference to me had you let two go, I'm sure everyone on RU would respect your decision regardless :D . Feel free to PM us.

Neil

Thanks Neil :) We're planning a Blackpool trip, promised our son after his report he could go for the day so we're coming over in the next few weekends, will give you a pm to let you know when

Back