• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma, what to do - updated

But the guilt doesn't go away. I have been unhappy and ill and I have soldiered on and I know I would have regretted it if I'd got rid of the animals simply because I would have felt like I'd failed them. My ex used to ask why didn't I get rid of them if I was so miserable, but in the same way why not put my son into care? He's certainly made me miserable! To which he'd say 'you didn't give birth to guinea pigs!' Fair enough I didn't give birth to them, but I made a commitment to them. The whole point in any kind of commitment is 'through good times and bad' surely? If you expect things to be easy and fun and exciting all the time you will be disappointed in life. And if you give up just because things are hard or boring you will be disappointed in yourself.

Of course if I was hospitalised I'd have no choice but give them up, which is why I've lowered my standards regarding cleaning out and housework. It hasn't affected the animals adversely to be cleaned out less and that's a fact. And for me it's made the difference between being able to keep going or having to give them up due to ill health.

I agree, but that's the decision you have made for yourself, it may not be good for someone else to do the same.

I agree, but that's the decision you have made for yourself, it may not be good for someone else to do the same.

I know - but on this forum you get the feeling everyone cleans their animals out daily but you - that's what I'm saying has made all the difference to me being able to cope.

I know - but on this forum you get the feeling everyone cleans their animals out daily but you - that's what I'm saying has made all the difference to me being able to cope.

I don't, I clean as and when necessary! I do think that too much cleaning and desinfecting can be just as bad as too little! I don't really get problems like digestive upsets or respiratory problems in my rabbits, perhaps it is because their immune system is stronger than if they lived in sterile surroundings?

Vera

I completely agree with you.
It often makes me wonder if some folk on here actually keep/look after the pets 'in real life' the way they often talk about how they do on here.....if you get me! :?

I know what you mean Elve, and it's a good point - I sometimes think everyone else is a 100 per cent perfect, knowledgeable bunny owner, except for me - which, of course, isn't the case. Real life isn't like that :) Everyone muddles through to some extent.

I completely agree with you.
It often makes me wonder if some folk on here actually keep/look after the pets 'in real life' the way they often talk about how they do on here.....if you get me! :?

Yes I quite remember the way you used to insist on moving triple hutches every week to disinfect under them and get every bit of fluff even though you were ill - if you couldn't keep it that clean you couldn't keep them at all! People who insist on that level of cleanliness are really pleasing themselves not the animals, because the animals don't need it spotless and smelling of bleach. What they need is continuity and routine from a committed carer long term, which I'd be the first to say isn't my idea of fun, but I don't want to let them down, or add to the population of animals looking for homes when what I offer seems to make them quite happy and they thrive on it. So given the choice between rehoming and cleaning out less, I'd choose to clean out less, and I can recommend it as Vera does, due to the fact it hasn't harmed my animals in the slightest. I expect my piggie room smells, but they don't care - it only bothers us humans :) Mind you all I can smell at the moment is bleach :roll:

Yes I quite remember the way you used to insist on moving triple hutches every week to disinfect under them and get every bit of fluff even though you were ill - if you couldn't keep it that clean you couldn't keep them at all!

Are you having a personal attack on me here Elve?
If you wish to look up my old threads then please feel free. You will find that I did not infact say such things.

KayJay, wishing you all the best in your decision xxx

Thanks Veronica :)

I do know what you're trying to say Elve, as I carry 'guilt' around on me if I fail at stuff, which i frequently do, and feel bad. However I need to balance that with knowing how much pain I'm in and only I know that. I sometimes can hardly walk out to the garden never mind stand there feeding them and cleaning them out so some days it is literally feed and hobble back in. Then I see on here how I should be checking their bums daily, changing their litter tray due to flystrike risk etc etc. So I feel guilty about that.

In no way am I 'too' clean, in fact my house is currently like a pigsty due to me not being able to keep up with things and the rabbits are behind that. The piggies were cleaned out today as they were absolutely desperate, previous to this my neighbour did them last week for me as she knows I'm struggling.

When I took on Pippa and MJ it was a lifelong commitment and I stand by that. I sort of aquired Teddy and intended to rehome him but he is so lovely I thought two extra rabbits would be fine, but it is a lot more work as they are harder work than Pippa and MJ for various reasons.

The reason I stuck with one child is due to my health as much as I'd have loved more and I should have only ever got one pair of rabbits, hence one hutch/run to clean out etc etc. You live and learn though don't you but I don't know if I'll be able to live with the guilt and sorrow if I rehome Teddy and Jemima although I know Kay will find them a good home and they probably won't care where the food is coming from as long as it carries on coming!!

Thanks for everyone's opinions, I do value them :)

Thanks Veronica :)

I do know what you're trying to say Elve, as I carry 'guilt' around on me if I fail at stuff, which i frequently do, and feel bad. However I need to balance that with knowing how much pain I'm in and only I know that. I sometimes can hardly walk out to the garden never mind stand there feeding them and cleaning them out so some days it is literally feed and hobble back in. Then I see on here how I should be checking their bums daily, changing their litter tray due to flystrike risk etc etc. So I feel guilty about that.

Ignore the guilty feelings, they just mean you're one of life's worriers :lol:

The decision should be about whether you are physically able to cope and see to their needs without compromising your health and well-being.

I have 18 rabbits here (in 8 groups or singles) at the moment, a full time job, a largish house to clean, and a very lazy O/H. I constantly feel guilty. In fact I occasionally forget to feed a group of rabbits if I'm in a rush to get to work or something :oops: .

Amy

Please stop beating yorself up! Im epileptic suffer blackouts have a kanckered ankle a bad back..and nerve dmage in ym face resulting in ain for a week at a time....my house is a hell hole..i never used to be like this. 20 ears ago i had severe post natal depression got made homeless and underwent a divorce and so on and so on..
i live with my now 23 yr old daughter who has severe and chronic M.E and fibromyalgia and is in constant pain and bad health.
she cant stand hoovers going tumbledryers etc so i have to try and cleana round that..its handy as bif has a problem with it all too and the chemical smells.

i dont clean like i used to..i admit..litter trays every other to every three days..a week if short of litter!! willows cage gets cleaned weekly..i have another steam cleaner now.a steam bee its ok for sterilsing cuddly toys food bowls but ive not used it for a week now. post flood we now have lino in our lounge makes it easier to clean up after buns!
i didnt want to take on kittens but nikki tried to hep me to cope but is too ill now..
I do it all but shes still syringing bif..she has a way with animals like that.she wanted to be a veterinary nurse as opposed to a vet but the M.E/fibro stopped that..and anything else!!
I sometimes wish i didnt have pets at all..esp when ive had seizures or am ill with flu etc.so i hate to think how bad you find it to cope with your conditio.
its heartbreaking as its as ba as giving up one of your children..mind you i used to joke if i had my depressionw wouldnt be like it is and i laff.my kids laff too luckily!
niki needs the comapnionship of the pets tho..as you know its a lonely existence...but if i werent here shed not even manage a goldfish by herself.

i let things slide when im having a bad day etc but as long as they have fod and water and hay they forgive me. the cats ned food and litter trays too..i get exhausted when its all ont he same day sometimes! and im healthy.

if its too much hen you at least you have the chance to make sure they go to a good place. I had to do this with a cat of ours many years back now and he had a lovely life of 10 years with a lday who has M.S in the early stages..he got her through her divorce etc.she can only cope with her budgies now.
thinking of the welafre of theanimals above your own love for them is a very brave thing to do.and i wish you all the best.
is there anychance a petsitting agency might beable to help you out caring for them an hour a day before you hand them over to make iteasier for you to cope until they do go?

I would say get better soon but fibro and cfs/m.e sucks majorly.

i can hardley

I would say get better soon but fibro and cfs/m.e sucks majorly.

Thanks, it certainly does - I've had it for more than 20 years 'officially' but have had symptoms going back to when I was little. I spent the first 10 years waiting to get better then had another hospital appt who said I had it severely still and was unlikely to improve in fact it's getting worse now. Hugs to your daughter, she's not alone

Kathryn x

Yes I quite remember the way you used to insist on moving triple hutches every week to disinfect under them and get every bit of fluff even though you were ill - if you couldn't keep it that clean you couldn't keep them at all!

To say I am annoyed by this quote...by the tone and by the content, is a huge understatement.

I don't....and have never disinfected under my hutch blocks.
I also don't have an obsession on removing "fluff" from them. Infact, where did you get that from?!

I do move my hutch blocks to sweep under and around. Woodshavings, hay and even food falls/gets kicked out and gets under/behind them. I do not want to have rotten food there, nor leave it so it is an open invitation to mice or rats. This would not be good for me, my home, or my rabbits and their home.
All my food stuff is kept in plastic bins/boxes with lids. I like everything wipeable, so it is also dustfree. Again, for my health, and my rabbits health.

My rabbits are living within the grounds of my families home. This home belongs to my parents....of whom are very house and garden proud. I respect that this is their home and not solely for the use of my pets to take over. I personally would never let ANY pet take over mine, or my families home. I personally think this is when things have got out of hand. For this reason, I would never drop my cleaning standards.

KayJay, I also understand the mental worry of keeping pets when in this situation. I wore myself down with worry, lack of sleep and guilt when contemplating my situation at the time. This certainly did not do my health any good.
I stand by the fact that in the long term, I did the very best for myself and my rabbits in rehoming some and cutting down numbers.

Hi Kayjay. One of my old schoolfriends has your condition, and she has often told me how the pain and restrictions her body puts on her gets her down. It is so important that you try to avoid, or at least minimise, stress and if worrying about the condition of your beloved bunsters is adding stress then I think you should let them go. You know where they are going after all, and will be able to relax in the knowledge that they will be as happy as pigs in mud!:lol: Thinking of you and hope you are able to make a decision you are comfy with:)

To say I am annoyed by this quote...by the tone and by the content, is a huge understatement.

I don't....and have never disinfected under my hutch blocks.
I also don't have an obsession on removing "fluff" from them. Infact, where did you get that from?!

I do move my hutch blocks to sweep under and around. Woodshavings, hay and even food falls/gets kicked out and gets under/behind them. I do not want to have rotten food there, nor leave it so it is an open invitation to mice or rats. This would not be good for me, my home, or my rabbits and their home.
All my food stuff is kept in plastic bins/boxes with lids. I like everything wipeable, so it is also dustfree. Again, for my health, and my rabbits health.

My rabbits are living within the grounds of my families home. This home belongs to my parents....of whom are very house and garden proud. I respect that this is their home and not solely for the use of my pets to take over. I personally would never let ANY pet take over mine, or my families home. I personally think this is when things have got out of hand. For this reason, I would never drop my cleaning standards.

KayJay, I also understand the mental worry of keeping pets when in this situation. I wore myself down with worry, lack of sleep and guilt when contemplating my situation at the time. This certainly did not do my health any good.
I stand by the fact that in the long term, I did the very best for myself and my rabbits in rehoming some and cutting down numbers.

OK so I got the 'disinfect' bit wrong - I remembered you were a clean freak anyway. Your rabbits and guinea pigs weren't rehomed because of this though, I know, but because you were being forced to leave home due to family circumstances. I did see bizzy vicki's post yesterday and was worried about your family of bunnies that you rehomed to her - how are they? I also saw a post by yourself recently stating that you are now going to foster a family of french lop babies - won't it be too much work again? I'm not having a go at you, just puzzled by your attitude.

FYI Veronica - I deleted your PM without reading it as I don't like that kind of thing - if you want to say something, say it in public.

I think we are wandering a bit off -topic...

I agree.

Elve, you seem high on opinions about me. Please start a new thread instead of spoiling this one. I have sent you a PM asking for you to clarify what exactly you are puzzled by.

I apologise to you KayJay. Please feel free to pm me if you need to chat, I know exactly how hard it can be.

xxx

Back