• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma - need the wisdom of RU

in that case insurance is the way out :p

yes but if you can't afford insurance ;)

I know that for most people there is a way out in an emergency - but there will be occasional people who don't have that resource. I've been in that situation myself before and wouldn't ave taken on new pets during that time :)

yes but if you can't afford insurance ;)

I know that for most people there is a way out in an emergency - but there will be occasional people who don't have that resource. I've been in that situation myself before and wouldn't ave taken on new pets during that time :)

well with no pals, no credit, no benefits/pdsa help, no family and not enough for insurance then its probably not the best idea :lol:

but this woman is working so it would have to be very dark times for her not to have cash for a pet or two :?

if shes on a terribly low wage she should get help from the government to help her live anyhows.... thatll buy a few tins of beans im sure

In reference to "family, friends, loans, credit cards, help from the pdsa if you are in receipt of benefits, some vets do allow a payment plan, pet insurance, a few weeks of eating beans on toast no marg if thats what it takes." I don't understand how getting into debt equates with being able to afford necessary veterinary care for a pet. I am concerned that entering a state of debt is apparently being suggested as a means of affording to pay for vet care.

In reference to "family, friends, loans, credit cards, help from the pdsa if you are in receipt of benefits, some vets do allow a payment plan, pet insurance, a few weeks of eating beans on toast no marg if thats what it takes." I don't understand how getting into debt equates with being able to afford necessary veterinary care for a pet. I am concerned that entering a state of debt is apparently being suggested as a means of affording to pay for vet care.

:roll: not suggesting basic day to day care is covered by loans and debt, nor vaccinations but in an emergency whats wrong with help, i don't see why poor people should be denied the love of an animal just because they didn't strike lucky in the job market. an emergency that may not even happen, whats wrong with having a back up plan. when i got my pets i was earning 30K+ a year and now i don't.. but my pets won't notice the difference if they need the vets they will go to the vets.

why should this lady who is doing everything right not give a pair of buns an amazing home just incase one possibly gets an illness that she cant afford outright and she needs slight financial aide for a few weeks :?

this is the real world and without skint people inviting animals into their homes as family there would be even more sitting in rescues waiting for that perfect rich household.

Please take this as part of the debate which has erupted, not my personal opinion.

Which is best for a rabbit?
1. Sit in a rescue/tiny hutch for ten years but have all vet bills paid for.

2. Have a loving dedicated home with space, good diet and lots of love but be pts age 6 because the owner can't afford the £2000 vet bill so being pts is the kindest option.

Will the RSPCA rescue centre take the rabbits back and pay any large vet bills, or have them pts (would a more financially robust adoptee, able to meet costs, be a better option for the rabbits?) Presumably the Home Check will ask about meeting future vets bills?

Please take this as part of the debate which has erupted, not my personal opinion.

Which is best for a rabbit?
1. Sit in a rescue/tiny hutch for ten years but have all vet bills paid for.

2. Have a loving dedicated home with space, good diet and lots of love but be pts age 6 because the owner can't afford the £2000 vet bill so being pts is the kindest option.

Would a vet PTS just because the owner can't afford a vet bill?

Probably. There is also the issue of, if a treatment is expensive does it do the rabbit more harm than good being put through it. But, again not necessarily my opinion but a topic for another day.

Back