• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma - need the wisdom of RU

I think she should get the rabbits too :D

I don't earn much money but I manage to pay vets bills for my rabbits by living very frugally in other ways.

Vets will sometimes let you pay large bills off in stages if your explain your situation. I think a member of RU just pays a certain amount to her vet by DD every month, so sometimes she's slightly in credit and sometimes slightly in debt, but it all works itself out in the long run.

I've just text her to see if she's had any thoughts :)

The thing is, it's not really up to you to decide whether they should have rabbits or not and if you dont give the best advice, they may end up doing it alone. You can only help so much with their decision and i can understand your caution because of the vet fees that you've endured but they may be lucky and they may ehnd up finding a way to cope.

All you can do is give them the best advice and you have done what you can. :)

The thing is, it's not really up to you to decide whether they should have rabbits or not and if you dont give the best advice, they may end up doing it alone. You can only help so much with their decision and i can understand your caution because of the vet fees that you've endured but they may be lucky and they may ehnd up finding a way to cope.

All you can do is give them the best advice and you have done what you can. :)

I'm not saying its up to me. I'm saying she's asked if i think its a good idea. And i do, but i just wanted to see if people thought the same :wave:

If they're rescues and vacc'd and 'done', I don't see too much of a problem!

You've shown her the expenses, and if she can manage to set aside a bit of cash each month, or like someone said, sell some bits on ebay, she'll be ok.

I know it sounds silly, but my mum's the queen of small change saving and it really adds up. She has a money box for £2 coins (treats and holidays fund), one for 20p coins (car tax fund), an old whisky bottle for 5p coins (tv licence) and a £1 jar. It really helps because funds are then earmarked.

Don't know if that helps. But I can't wait to see piccies once her buns are settled!!

xxx

NOOOO I have had my eye on Stanley and Smudge for ages! If she gets them she must must must enlist on RU so I can get my daily photo fix.

She sounds like she would be a great bunny mummy :D I *think* if you insure 2 bunnies with Petplan and apply online, you get a multi-bunnydiscount as I think ours were £15 each pair? Hope I've got that right.

Let us know what happens tho! :)

As far as insurance goes, could she save that 20 a month and have it for emergencies. When I looked into it, it would be £240 a year for insurance, plus £50 excess each different ailment. Add to that all the small things, eg. £20 for antibiotics for a runny nose, vaccinations which aren't covered anyway and suddenly, it seems a fairly rare occurrence when insurance would actually cost out.

Don't get me wrong, if something major does occur then it is obviously a great thing to have. But I feel that saving the money instead means it would be of more practical use and could be used for vaccinations.

As far as insurance goes, could she save that 20 a month and have it for emergencies. When I looked into it, it would be £240 a year for insurance, plus £50 excess each different ailment. Add to that all the small things, eg. £20 for antibiotics for a runny nose, vaccinations which aren't covered anyway and suddenly, it seems a fairly rare occurrence when insurance would actually cost out.

Don't get me wrong, if something major does occur then it is obviously a great thing to have. But I feel that saving the money instead means it would be of more practical use and could be used for vaccinations.

I personally feel that way too but I have backup of my parents help if anything major happened. So it's not all on my own bank balance. If I was alone without a big savings account of a couple of grand I would go with insurance. As it is if I had two rabbits I would likely get insurance.

If only we had a crystal ball.:) Insurance money is wasted if there are lots of one off visits but essential if something in the thousands comes up. :(

It's what the insurance companies bank on isn't it! If I had two I'd have it for the peace of mind but with four I just can't afford £40-50 a month.

It's what the insurance companies bank on isn't it! If I had two I'd have it for the peace of mind but with four I just can't afford £40-50 a month.

They certainly do! This is why I have my own pair of bunss and any extras are fosters. Couldn't afford vet bills for any more!

Graham - I think you are being a great friend trying to help her out. I didn't put this much thought into having children:shock: but i did into having rabbits:lol:

As long as the buns are in good condition, have no dental issues etc then I think she should go for it. She is getting into it with a lot of research into what's involved and will have a very experienced friend to help her out. That should save her a bit for all those vet visits in the early days where they say 'Yes, that's normal, they do that!' because she can just ask you!
:lol:
Sorry for the verbal diarrheoa, typing as I think!

I think with the current climate we're living in anyone of us could find ourselves jobless at any time, and im sure we'd manage somehow.
Its such a shame vets dont do a payment plan or a spread the cost over a few months plan!!!

"i hate people telling others they cant have a pet because of bloody money theres always a way to pay for vets fees even for those on minimum wage." Which way is it? If there isn't any money to make minimal payments on large bills (and some can be way into the hundreds with rabbits, excluding routine vaccinations), which method already increases the original amount, vets give their unpaid accounts to debt collectors; the original amount increases greatly and the bailiffs arrive. Bailiffs can take cages and even the pets if they think they can sell them to meet the bills and their costs.

Bailiffs can take cages and even the pets if they think they can sell them to meet the bills and their costs.

I think they would only seize them if they were pedigree with registered papers.

"i hate people telling others they cant have a pet because of bloody money theres always a way to pay for vets fees even for those on minimum wage." Which way is it? If there isn't any money to make minimal payments on large bills (and some can be way into the hundreds with rabbits, excluding routine vaccinations), which method already increases the original amount, vets give their unpaid accounts to debt collectors; the original amount increases greatly and the bailiffs arrive. Bailiffs can take cages and even the pets if they think they can sell them to meet the bills and their costs.

family, friends, loans, credit cards, help from the pdsa if you are in receipt of benefits, some vets do allow a payment plan, pet insurance, a few weeks of eating beans on toast no marg if thats what it takes.

plus no baliffs in scotland :lol:

If she can honestly find money from *somewhere* if the rabbits needed it - even if it ran into £1000s - then I don't see why she shouldn't.

If she thinks carefully and decides that if it came to it, she would be obliged to let the rabbits suffer pain because she couldn't find the money - then obviously not.

Some people don't have family of friends to borrow from, and can't get loans or credit cards. ;) So there isn't always a way out.

But equally those who start off with plenty of money can end up penniless....you can't guarantee anything in this world.....so it comes down to making an honest assessment of the likely outcome.

She sounds like a very sensible person and the fact that she has gone to the effort of talking to you and working out a budget is superb :D:D

Just to throw another idea into the mix.... would she consider fostering?

That way she wouldn't have the worry of vet bills but would be able to make a real difference to some bunnies lives :love: She would also get a chance some first hand experience of looking after buns without the long term commitment (to make sure it's what she wants). I'm sure there's a rescue not too far away from her that would love to have such a caring lady on the team :thumb::D

Last edited:
Back