• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet help in general for my rabbits and guinea pigs please!

Best small pet pellet

• Burgess excel

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Science selective

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Ok, so my two rabbits and my two guinea pigs all have burgess excel pellets and fresh veg and occasionally fruit every day. They commonly get spring greens or kale and then a few bits of veg like peppers, broccoli (a favourite) they had some sprouts at Christmas which they weren't keen on and the rabbits had some squash which they also didn't like much. They occasionally have carrots, banana (which they adore) and cucumber when it's hot (so none at the moment) the rabbits have also had apple which they quite liked.

I go to uni at an agricultural college and they have just change their buns and piggies from excel to selective science, and I have also heard that selective science is slot better for buns then excel when I looked into it so I have ordered some selective science to try them on along with their excel pellets. Is this a good idea to swap over pellets if they take to them? Also does anyone have any ideas for some new fruit and veg for them all to try?

They also have a bunch of different hays (oat wheat and braley, dandelion Timothy, redigrass and lots if meadow hay.) they also get a variety or dried herbs and forage, and the occasional fenugreek crunchies and carroty!

Any ideas or advice would be great. My rabbits also eat like they have never been fed. I have recently brought a treat ball to try and slow them down and keep them busy. I also have got some Woden food puzzles too :)

I'm assuming you feed your guinea pigs on pellets designed for them.

I give each of my rabbits an eggcupful of Excel Light, as it has more fibre than the regular Excel, but I know that some people find that Excel does not 'suit' their rabbits.

If you do decide to change, you need to do it very gradually as any sudden change can lead to stasis. I would gradually mix with existing food over a period of, say, 2 weeks.

Mine love spring greens and a small amount of savoy cabbage. I also give them finely shredded celery, a bit of green pepper, sprouts, spinach (but only occasionally). I avoid carrots and fruit, except as a very occasional treat, as they are very sweet and therefore not good for teeth or tums. They also love herbs: basil, rosemary, mint mainly (mustn't have chives).

To be honest a few years ago I think SS was the better food. Now I think there isn't much in it. Excel has been linked to excess Cecals, SS has been linked (on here anyway) to a higher risk of choking and in a couple of cases appears to be linked to a few stasis episodes. I think it is much like dog foods, there are many good foods, but it depends on which one suits you and your pets!

I currently feed SS and my guys are doing well on them so I am not planning to change. If I was feeding excel and all my buns were healthy and doing well on them then I not change. If I had a stasis bun or one that looked uncomfortable after dinner then I would slowly change them over.

The food is such a small part of their diet anyway.

Yes the bunnies and pigs do have specific pellets.

I will see if they will like any of the veg suggestions too thanks! And they only get sweet fruits and veg very rarely!

Science selective has more fibre in it, is good for wearing down teeth as the kibble is large, I have heard excel causing choking and coughing as the kibble is tiny x

if they're only getting the recommended limited pellets, then i would stick with the same if they have no issues with them.

veg you want to go for all leafy greens, or mainly leafy greens, and introduce each one slowly. herbs are good. and limit any sugary veg and fruit. :wave:

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks guys! This has really helped. I do only give them a few pellets as I give them lots of leafy greens and loads of different hays along with their constant supply of good meadow hay. I was worried about them not getting everything they need from the veg I give them so I give them a small amount of pellets in the evening, I guess if they like the excell pellets I will still with them, but I shall also trial the science selective and maybe give them a mix from now on for variety. Hope this sounds ok!

I've never tried Excel because they have a reputation for causing sticky bum and i have one bunny susceptible to that anyway. Personally I prefer Fibafirst to either of those due to it not being a pelleted food but i have a 'wolfer' and therefore a 'choker' bunny so my opinion is swayed by that. :oops:

I think both brands are fine so if they're happy and healthy on the excel I'd stick with that, always best to avoid diet changes unless there's a problem in my opinion.

Sounds like a nice variety of veg, you could always try herbs, basil, dill and parsley are all firm favourite here! Herbs are more expensive though so maybe just as a treat. You could also try foraging in the summer if you're that way inclined, things like brambles, sticky weed, willow are all pretty safe to begin with.

My buns do tend to eat quite fast, but there hasn't been any choking that I have noticed yet but I will deff keep an eye on that, I had no idea they could choke on excell pellets so that's good to know.

I never thought about foraging for them! I'll give that a go when there are plants out. There is a woodland park just round the corner, and we have a lovley birch in iur back garden. We also have an apple tree which they had (washed and dried) clippings from in autumn, and a bit of apple as we had so many! I would just be worried about picking up the wrong thing and giving them something that will upset their tummies! I did get a guide to trees from the countryside managent team at uni but do you know any good websites for tree and plant identification?

Back