• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate for bonding advice

Hi I have 2 indoor bonded, male and female and 2 outdoor bonded( 2 brothers). Tragically I have just lost one of my outdoor boys and am wanting to bond poor lonely baby with my 2 indoor. I do not know where to start and need all the advice I can get as the internet has very different methods and extremely confusing. I’m also wandering as he is used to outside life, if the bond is successful can he still spend the day outside and come in at night or will this break the bond. He spends his days eating leaves and grass so being confined to carpet doesn’t seem ideal. Help would be appreciated xx

There are some people here who have had success with bonding trios, I'm sure they can offer advice but generally they need to be introduced in a small, neutral space which may be tricky if your indoor buns have had free run of the house.

You could bond in a safe, neutral space outside. Indoor rabbits will be OK outside in Summer. You can decide where they all will live later.
I assume all are neutered.

I tend to leave them in side by side secure enclosures until they seem OK with bars between them, then use the neutral space or just join the 2 enclosures. It depends on the rabbits. Just don't rush it. A bond is for life - no point in trying to cut corners. I tend to go very slowly - weeks to months. You need to allocate your time to watching them when they are finally together, at least for the first couple of days. Some chasing & fur pulling is normal. Locked on fighting or drawing blood is bad and they need separating ASAP.

Can you not get your outdoor Bunny a friend? This is what I would do. xx

Might not be an option as there is always the financial consequences of taking on more Rabbits :) Especially these days with the huge rise in Vet fees.

OP - I am sorry for your recent loss :( Do you know the cause of death? I ask as if there is any chance that a pathogen such as RHD could be involved then it would be very unwise to attempt to bond your lone Buck with the indoor pair. Not for at least 4 months. I assume all of your Rabbits are spayed/ neutered? This is an essential prior to attempting a bonding.

Once bonded it would be unfair to separate the outdoor Buck during the day and it would impact on the stability of the bond, especially a trio bond.

Can you give more details of the individual character of each Rabbit. Which one is dominant in the pair ? The character of each Rabbit is as relevant as their gender when it comes to bonding.
Neutral territory is needed for introductions. How the initial introduction is carried out will depend on the individual character of each Rabbit and the dynamics of the bond of the indoor pair.

Thank you so much for this. So i was told they think coccidia.i have posted under different name during his illness but cannot access my log in. My boy who passed I nursed for weeks it was horrendous and I’m not even sure the diagnosis was correct. For many reasons too long to type here I lost all trust in vets and my boy died horrendously. As broken as I am I cannot leave his brother alone. The thought of getting another bunny is too much and ideally I want bond him with my indoor duo so he’s not alone this winter, he misses his brother so much. My indoor are similar age all approximately 5. They are male and female. Both quiet bunnies and equally dominant not one in charge. I’m broken and terrified bonding All three will break my pairs bond. I’m still beyond devastated at losing my teddy bear x

I am ripped apart at teddy dying and not functioning. I can’t believe I have to eventually lose three more bunnies my heart can’t take on another I’m too fragile a person.im more bereft than losing my father

They are all vaccinated and neutered. I feel angry they are so well cared for always vaccinated yet he still contracted a deadly disease.im devastated .so many buns are neglected and live unvaccinated in terrible conditions and don’t die. I’m absolutely broken this has happened

Ah, I see. I know who you are now.

The first thing I would do is to sort out an area that you will use to introduce the outdoor Buck to your indoor pair. The space needs to be quite small to start with and in a part of the house not familiar to any of the Rabbits.

I keep them side by side, separated by bars / mesh for at least a week. If there's no agression, then try them together in the neutral area. That's when you have to stay with them and watch closely. If all goes well, they should be OK after a few days. There may be a bit of chasing, fur pulling, etc, but they have to work out where they all stand with each other. I make sure that there is somewhere that each of them can hide if they need to, and extra litter trays. Food (greens and pellets) can be scattered so they all get a share and also provides a distraction. That stops them getting territorial.

Once they are together, I leave them. Maybe separate at night if you think you need to for the first night or 2 and you can't monitor them, but otherwise leave them together. Don't change anything for a week or two afterwards. Just let them settle.

5 mins or similar short bursts at a time is just allowing them to get worked up and causes a lot of issues that they can't resolve because they just get separated again, then it starts again. It's much more confrontational as you are basically taunting them with each other.

I honestly appreciate the advice as I'm absolutely dreading doing it as I'm scared to disrupt my bonded pair as they are so loved up, but no way am I leaving my baby boy outside alone for the rest of his days x

Thank you so much for this. So i was told they think coccidia.i have posted under different name during his illness but cannot access my log in.

Just a heads up that log in issues have been sorted & so the bunnymum4 user account will be used going forward. :thumb:

Back