• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Depocillin and lack of appetite?

How is Ozzie doing this morning ? Is he still passing mucus and hardly any normal poo ? One thing the Vet will hopefully be mindful of is that Depocillin is a higher risk abx for causing GI tract problems- Enterotoxaemia

https://www.petcoach.co/article/enterotoxemia-antibiotic-associated-enteritis-in-hamsters-r/

If the Vet has not mentioned anything about this then I would give him/her another call this morning to ask about whether Ozzie is in fact a Rabbit who may not be able to tolerate Depocillin, at least not when given daily. I would also ask if including Metronidazole may be an option xx

ETA- Emeprid is a brand name for Metoclopramide, a POM xx

How is Ozzie doing this morning ? Is he still passing mucus and hardly any normal poo ? One thing the Vet will hopefully be mindful of is that Depocillin is a higher risk abx for causing GI tract problems- Enterotoxaemia

https://www.petcoach.co/article/enterotoxemia-antibiotic-associated-enteritis-in-hamsters-r/

If the Vet has not mentioned anything about this then I would give him/her another call this morning to ask about whether Ozzie is in fact a Rabbit who may not be able to tolerate Depocillin, at least not when given daily. I would also ask if including Metronidazole may be an option xx

ETA- Emeprid is a brand name for Metoclopramide, a POM xx

Morning Jane.
Last night he licked at bits of food and had a go at a couple of bits. He prefers the carpet to the litter tray and this morning we have about 10 small poos. No mucus. Stans poos are all in a neat pile in the litter tray as usual and yesterday we had none on the carpet so I am hoping they belong to Ozzie as they are smaller than the litter tray ones

He has had a hop round the lounge for a minute and has had his 1st eyedrops of the day and 2 syringes of CC. Hes now laid, legs kicked out on his favorite bit of hard floor. Head up.

I really do think its the depocillin. Breakfast has been served but I think more is eaten overnight than any other time so they tend to not race to get to the breakfast bowls. Hes moved again,
Hes currently trying to climb up the cat scratcher now as Stan wont share the box bit at the bottom! Rabbit politics!

Im at work 8-3 today so am going to syringe him again before I set off and eye drop and then nip home middle of the day to just top him up. Im not giving up on him yet

Just to add with feeding.

My little girl wouldn't take CC. So I used to mashed some pellets in a small bowl with a little cooled boiled water and a bit of pear, banana, or apple and serve it to her a bit at a time now and then on a teaspoon. Very time consuming but proved somewhat effective. Also any fresh veg/herbs/weeds were grated and chopped into tiny pieces with some small pieces of hay from the bottom of the bag mixed in.

Hoping there's some signs of improvement today!

Just to add with feeding.

My little girl wouldn't take CC. So I used to mashed some pellets in a small bowl with a little cooled boiled water and a bit of pear, banana, or apple and serve it to her a bit at a time now and then on a teaspoon. Very time consuming but proved somewhat effective. Also any fresh veg/herbs/weeds were grated and chopped into tiny pieces with some small pieces of hay from the bottom of the bag mixed in.

Hoping there's some signs of improvement today!

Thank you. I will give that a go. Luckily he's really good with a syringe. All our fruit is too fresh at the moment. He loves a brown banana or pear!
Never thought of using a teaspoon. Wil defiantly try as the consistency could be thicker and maybe encourage him to chew. I'm nipping home between houses (I'm a cleaner) I just hope he's been ok this morning. I've swept up all poo so am hoping to see some

Thank you. I will give that a go. Luckily he's really good with a syringe. All our fruit is too fresh at the moment. He loves a brown banana or pear!
Never thought of using a teaspoon. Wil defiantly try as the consistency could be thicker and maybe encourage him to chew. I'm nipping home between houses (I'm a cleaner) I just hope he's been ok this morning. I've swept up all poo so am hoping to see some

Really hope that he will be doing OK when you get back to check on him. It must be really stressful for you xx

Just keeping a tally of syringes, each is 3ml
9ml
6ml
9ml
so far today. Home for a few mins, hes just argued with me over a dandilion but eventually hes chewed some with me basically holding it in his mouth almost force fed. He must have swallowed a bit.

No more poo yet but in fairness i think both have just been asleep in the tunnel all morning. Ozzie is now in the box giving me the evil eye with his good eye.

Dishes are still untouched but as I say they tend to do more evening/overnight they are very lazy during the day and always have been even more since they came inside.

Back to work 1-4 now then back to repeat then supermarket

Carried on Syringing. Been out. Come back and he's sat eating a full strawberry. He also looks like hes been caught out!! Good had been tampered with when I got home from work but wasn't sure which rabbit.

The relief is immense. Just got to keep going

It's really hard isn't it. It does sound a bit more positive though, Sending him lots more vibes.

We have poo too. Not that Im showing off or owt.

Only on this forum can we talk about poo and people not cringe.

I still syringing, still done loxicom. Ive explained to the vet how I feel about the injections, so Im collecting some more CC tomorrow and I think monitor him over Easter while we are all at home then sort out injections or whatever next week.

Stan thinks having a poorly mate is amazing theres all sorts of yummy picnics AND you get to live inside and sleep under the radiator. He is going to Slimming World when all this is sorted!

Have to say how much I appreciate everyones support, what a fabulous community. Thank you for coming back on and checking Ozzies progress. Lets hope we are going in the right direction again

It's good to hear Ozzie is making a little progress, really hope that continues. Stan sounds like a lovely supportive friend for Ozzie :D hope you manage to relax over Easter, you deserve it ! X

A few more poos overnight only maybe a dozen. Then this morning quite a pile of small ones but a little bit of yellow almost a paste consistency at the end of the pile. Then as he's hopping round just 2 tiny poos. Oh then a big wee right in front of the tunnel

Still on CC today. Took a small nibble of banana.
He's moved a couple of ornaments for me and checked that the lounge is as it should be!

He is doing an occasional mouth click noise.
Stan refuses to share the tunnel today so Ozzie had to move to the side of the radiator

A few more poos overnight only maybe a dozen. Then this morning quite a pile of small ones but a little bit of yellow almost a paste consistency at the end of the pile. Then as he's hopping round just 2 tiny poos. Oh then a big wee right in front of the tunnel

Still on CC today. Took a small nibble of banana.
He's moved a couple of ornaments for me and checked that the lounge is as it should be!

He is doing an occasional mouth click noise.
Stan refuses to share the tunnel today so Ozzie had to move to the side of the radiator

It sounds as though he is still reasonably feisty, which is good. I would try not to give him too many foods that are high in sugar- eg fruit, carrots etc. Of course you need him to eat, but if his tummy is being upset by Depocillin then foods high in sugar/carbs could exacerbate things.

What is he eating in the way of dry food, if anything ?

Have you ever tried him on Fibrefirst Sticks ?

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

You could try hand feeding him one, he may get cross and bite it and then think 'hmmmm, these are actually not too bad'. Failing that the sticks are easy to crumble up and you could sprinkle them over any veg/herbs he will eat. My thinking being that getting as much fibre into him as possible and minimising sugars/carbs would be best re his GI tract whilst he is on Depocillin.

I realise it's a catch 22 though. We want the anorexic Bunny to eat something and unfortunately they usually only comply with eating sugary/carb high foods.

And having Pets is supposed to reduce our stress levels........................ :roll:

Sending lots more vibes xx

It sounds as though he is still reasonably feisty, which is good. I would try not to give him too many foods that are high in sugar- eg fruit, carrots etc. Of course you need him to eat, but if his tummy is being upset by Depocillin then foods high in sugar/carbs could exacerbate things.

What is he eating in the way of dry food, if anything ?

Have you ever tried him on Fibrefirst Sticks ?

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

You could try hand feeding him one, he may get cross and bite it and then think 'hmmmm, these are actually not too bad'. Failing that the sticks are easy to crumble up and you could sprinkle them over any veg/herbs he will eat. My thinking being that getting as much fibre into him as possible and minimising sugars/carbs would be best re his GI tract whilst he is on Depocillin.

I realise it's a catch 22 though. We want the anorexic Bunny to eat something and unfortunately they usually only comply with eating sugary/carb high foods.

And having Pets is supposed to reduce our stress levels........................ :roll:

Sending lots more vibes xx

Thanks Jane
Im thinking the yellow paste was from the antibiotic. Hes not had any penicillin since Tuesday night and because hes not eaten really I wonder if its took this long to get through his system.

Food wise nothing with fibre for days now. Hasnt eaten hay since before his dental (5th March) Because we are at home now for Easter I am doing 2 x 3ml syringes about every hour today. He wont entertain anything sweet or other.
He had a tiny nibble at banana this morning but nothing really. The bowls were nearly empty this morning but I dont know how much Stan had but it was messy and Stan is quite tidy.
He has stopped doing the click noise for now, it was maybe one click every couple of mins. Hes back in his favorite box now at the far end of the room.

I did buy a jar of baby food yesterday, organic fruits but I dont really know why lol, I was just trying to think of ways to get him started on his own really. Neither will eat fibrestix. Theres been one in their food area for days and days, they wont eat any treat things or dried dandilion etc. They were very much hay and pellet and a bit of veg buns before all this

At the vets at 11.10 today.
Still on CC last night he went to the bowls had a nose and sniff but ate so little it wasn't enough to make a difference.
Today when I am near him I can hear the occasional breath and his nose isn't twitching as much as usual. I can hear his tummy rumble.

We have had quite a good amount of tiny poo overnight.

I just fear it's not enough and that he is slowly fading.

Had no penicillin since Tuesday night but has had his loxicom and eye drops.

Back