• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental issues

Fatfish

Young Bun
Hi all,

I'm new here but I have a feeling I'm going to need some help over the next few months (or more)! Looking for a little advice....

A few weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to loose my darling six year old rabbit. We're not sure what happened, either E.C. or stroke, but despite our best efforts we couldn't save him. He left behind him his friend, Casta, who seemed a very gloomy, lonely bunny, so I decided to adopt her a little friend from the RSPCA. We found a lovely bunny, about the same size and age, sweet temperament and they seemed ok with each other so I reserved her. I was told they wouldn't let her go until she'd been spade and I'd had a home check. Today we got a call to say that under anaesthetic they discovered she had back teeth in quite bad condition. I was given the choice, pull out of the adoption and they'd put her to sleep, or continue with the adoption and they would file her teeth and I would take responsability for any further vets costs. Naturally I am continuing with the adoption!

We don't know how long this problem has been going on for, she's been there a while and not had any symptoms so maybe its a slow growth, it could be a poor diet issue as we know nothing about her previous owners (but given they just abandoned her I'm willing to bet they weren't fussy about her diet!), or, worse case scenario, I've just signed up for very regular expensive vet trips!

I guess that's why I'm here, can anyone tell me about their experiences with dental issues? Is there much variation in length of time between treatments? Other than providing good quality hay and lots of grazing is there anything I can do to help her?

Thanks for any help, I'm not sure what I've signed up for here, but I couldn't turn my back on her!

I can't really help, I'm afraid, but hope someone who can give you advice will see your thread.

no advice to offer as so far my bun hasn't had any teeth problems but just wanted to give you a massive hug for being willing to save a loving soul and protect them, ty

Wow what a lucky bunny to have you looking out for her! :love: (And if I may say so, its a bit harsh of the rescue centre to say if you dont take her on we'll put her to sleep - unless I have misunderstood that bit).

I have two dental bunnies here, hay, hay and more hay is the best way of helping with tooth wear. You may also find bunny-safe twigs and branches helpful, pear twigs and apple twigs are ideal. There is a member on here who is selling some in the fundraising section or you can buy them online as well.

You just become used to looking out for the signs from your bunny that they may be having trouble with the teeth - things like drooling/dribbling, not eating as quickly, not eating certain food eg hay or pellets or both (if loses interest in all food then needs urgent vet attention), losing weight, drinking a lot, the chewing motion just looking a bit "odd"....ermmm thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

When this happens you need to take your bunny in to have their teeth checked and then have a dental as necessary. Good luck for you and your bunnies, she is lucky to have you. :D

Hello

You have saved her life LITERALLY !!

With Dental issues it really is very individual case scenario. Much will depend on how advanced any Dental Disease is and also the age of the Bunny.

Here is a grading system used to assess the various stages of Dental Disease :

Grade 1 : normal.

Grade 2 : subclinical dental disease:
Horizontal grooves on maxillary (upper) incisors with or without slight deviation.
Teeth may be a dull white (defective enamel) and lack the normal vertical groove.
Palpable swellings along ventral border of mandible.
Partial or complete obstruction of nasolacrimal duct with secondary infection (dacryocystitis ), often misdiagnosed as conjunctivitis.
May be no clinical signs, hence importance of always examining rabbit mouths and correcting diet.

Grade 3 : acquired crown abnormalities and occlusal defects:
Aberrant growth, malocclusion, discoloration or fractures of incisors.
Incisors may grow into adjacent soft tissues.
Minor distortions of molars or premolars resulting in sharp spikes which may lacerate or penetrate tongue or buccal mucosa.
Anorexia and weight loss .
Caked feces around anus , often misdiagnosed as diarrhea.
Fly strike .
Salivation and wet chin and dewlap.
If molars/premolars not involved, there may be no clinical signs, unless incisors invade local soft tissues.

Grade 4 : major abnormalities of tooth crowns and cessation of tooth growth:
Periodontal disease - pus discharging around teeth especially incisors.
Gross distortion of some or all teeth.
Major pathological changes to tooth roots.
Abscesses develop when periapical tissues and soft tissues penetrated by elongated tooth crowns become secondarily infected.
Reluctance to eat hard food.
Exacerbation of Grades 2 and 3 clinical signs.
When teeth stop growing, crowns may break off and many clinical signs disappear.
Some rabbits can eat and groom despite their oral ill health.

Grade 5 : osteomyelitis and abscess formation :
Mandibular, retrobulbar and lacrimal bone abscesses form in association with periosteal penetration by premolar and molar tooth roots.

A good diet can do a lot to reduce the rate of progression of Dental problems, but again how successful the rate of reduction is will depend on the individual Rabbit.

There is some more information about Dental Disease and it's management here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Dental_diseases_main.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1557506307000869

Thats really interesting Jane, not seen that before. I forgot the tummy issues and soft poops etc.

Wow, thanks guys! That's a lot of info, brilliant! I'm thinking to start with I will take her for a regular check up with the vet, until we can establish the extent of the problem. It's going to take me a while to get to grips with this, my others have never had problems! I've always been hot on giving plenty of hay (the posh stuff, seems to encourage them to eat it) and I ensure they get at least and hours grazing every day I'm not stuck at work (they normally get more than an hour, at weekends they're often out at 9am and not away till sunset). Plus I keep a little stock of stale bread which they seem to go nuts for - I've heard this can be good for the teeth?

Yes, you understood right, she would have been put to sleep if I had dropped out of the adoption. Apparently they concentrate on healthy animals as virtually no one will take on an animal with health problems. It didn't seem like a choice to me, obviously she had to come to me! Still waiting on my home visit but I can't see why they wouldn't approve me, especially now that the other option is death! I want her here ASAP, the poor little love needs to come home!

Thanks for your speedy and helpful replies, I will spend some time reading up. Keep everything crossed for us!

Well done for rescuing her.

My bunny has had regular dentals for nearly 5 years and he does fine. He is currently having them about every 10 weeks but it does vary from bun to bun, some need them more regular than that and others every blue moon.

If you familiarise yourself with possible symptoms you should be able to book your bunny in before it stops eating. Regular checks are a good idea.

Good luck with the homecheck and we will want to see some photos when you get her.

Well done for saving this bunnies life :thumb:
I have two dental bunnies, who are now going much longer between dentals thanks to a proper diet.
I hope they rush your home check along...... she needs to be home with you now :D

Back