• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cystitis transmittable?

When I got up early this morning for Sophie's extra pain meds I gave them lots of greens and Casper ate them like normal, but later this morning he didn't want to eat anymore and was just sitting quietly, not moving. :( We went to the vet and his tummy felt perfectly fine, and his teeth were fine, too, but his bladder area felt really sensitive, so the vet thinks it's the pain from his bladder that's making him feel unwell, poor boy... So, he's on extra meds now and I'm keeping a close eye on him. He's eaten a bit since we got home, but he's not feeling good. :(

I'm sorry to hear your poor boy is unwell. Hoping the meds get him eating more. As always you've acted really quickly

Poo Casper :cry: I hope additional analgesics will help. Is he passing poo and wee ?
Thank you, IM. Yes, he is. His poops look normal but a bit small, and the pee is only small amounts each time, but that's the way it's been for a while now...

I'm sorry to hear your poor boy is unwell. Hoping the meds get him eating more. As always you've acted really quickly
Thank you, too, j&b. He was just eating some hay, so that's very good.

Poor Casper, so sorry to hear that he is not well, hope the meds help him to get better really soon xxx

Thank you, bunny momma and Pets mum. I really appreciate it.

He's been pretty much back to normal today. :love: This morning he didn't want his Joint Support tab, which he normally loves, but he ate it later, and he's been eating really well aside from that.

Thank you, bunny momma and Pets mum. I really appreciate it.

He's been pretty much back to normal today. :love: This morning he didn't want his Joint Support tab, which he normally loves, but he ate it later, and he's been eating really well aside from that.

Perhaps he was passing a larger bit of the bladder sludge and it caused him the discomfort? Passing the sludge is possibly more difficult for a male.
Sending vibes.

I am glad he is eating normally.

Perhaps he was passing a larger bit of the bladder sludge and it caused him the discomfort? Passing the sludge is possibly more difficult for a male.
Sending vibes.

I am glad he is eating normally.
Oh, that's very possible. I hadn't thought of that... Thank you for the vibes. He was very active yesterday evening, running around and everything, so I think he's feeling much better! :love:

Sorry I have not been keeping up to date with Sophie and Casper. I had a quick read through here and I'm so glad that Casper is feeling better. I will try and read up on Sophienow. Sending more vibes [emoji173][emoji3448]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sorry I have not been keeping up to date with Sophie and Casper. I had a quick read through here and I'm so glad that Casper is feeling better. I will try and read up on Sophienow. Sending more vibes [emoji173][emoji3448]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Aww, that's totally okay. They've been having a lot of problems these past few months, so it's a lot to read! Thank you for being glad Casper is feeling better and for sending vibes. :love:

I've been decreasing Sophie's additional pain meds, and she's been without it for a few days now, and she's managing well. Casper seems to be peeing more easily, so they're both showing some signs of improvement. So, I think that must mean the Panacur is helping, which would mean they do have EC? Is there anything I should do to prevent them from getting unwell again after they're done with the Panacur?

I've been decreasing Sophie's additional pain meds, and she's been without it for a few days now, and she's managing well. Casper seems to be peeing more easily, so they're both showing some signs of improvement. So, I think that must mean the Panacur is helping, which would mean they do have EC? Is there anything I should do to prevent them from getting unwell again after they're done with the Panacur?

Personally I remain unconvinced that the problem is EC related, but to answer your question EC can be transmitted via spores excreted in the urine. So it’s important to minimise ingestion of any urine contaminated hay etc. otherwise the Rabbits just keep reinfecting themselves. Panacur does not ‘cure’ EC, it can only reduce the number of spores circulating within the bloodstream. The actual EC parasite is excreted long before any clinical symptoms present.

Here Vets have vastly varying opinions on the treatment and management of EC. But one thing that is agreed on is that attention to the prevention of the Rabbits ingesting anything potentially contaminated with urine is important.

This is an informative article *WARNING Link contains some graphic images*

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...phalitozoon-cuniculi-infection-in-rabbits.pdf

Thank you for answering my question and for the link to the article, IM. It was an interesting read. I'm not sure it's EC related, either, but it can't hurt to take precautions just in case and make sure everything's cleaner.

Back