• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cystitis transmittable?

The vets are closed today. I didn't know or I would've called yesterday... :( I only have one syringe of additional pain relief left for Sophie, so that's not enough until someone can pick up new ones tomorrow morning. I hope she'll be okay since she's been feeling a bit better...

Urgh, what a nuisance that they were closed today. Is it just first thing in the morning that she will be missing a dose then? In some respects it will be interesting to see how she copes, as she's been feeling better. I hope she gets on OK.

I am glad Sophie has improved.
Am I correct she had abx and Casper did not? Perhaps ask vet for abx for Casper.
Extra fluids from veggies can be helping to remove sludge-like a flush from within.

Urgh, what a nuisance that they were closed today. Is it just first thing in the morning that she will be missing a dose then? In some respects it will be interesting to see how she copes, as she's been feeling better. I hope she gets on OK.
Thank you, Omi. She seems to be doing okay. She's just been asleep this morning, cuddled up with Casper. She's just been without it this morning, yes. The vet called me back this afternoon, so we couldn't pick up her extra pain meds sooner, but we can pick them up in an hour once they've had time to fill up all the syringes.

I am glad Sophie has improved.
Am I correct she had abx and Casper did not? Perhaps ask vet for abx for Casper.
Extra fluids from veggies can be helping to remove sludge-like a flush from within.
Thank you, bunny momma. That's right, Sophie has had antibiotics, but Casper hasn't. The vet last week didn't see any bacteria in his urine, though, so there doesn't seem to be any need for them. And, yes, that's what I'm hoping the veggies are doing, flushing everything out. They're certainly enjoying all the greens, so they're not complaining!

The vet and I have agreed to treat them for EC, since it can't hurt and might help, even though they're not showing the typical signs of EC. So, they'll be starting that today. Do bunnies in general like Panacur? I'm hoping they'll just eat it on some food...

I tend to serve panacur on a malted shreddie or in a basil leaf - i think most buns like it. It doesn't taste of much, just a bit chalky. If its the liquid that wouldn't work though. Pleased Sophie coped fine this morning

Ah, yes, I didn't know it was available as liquid, but that's what they gave us. Sophie needs nearly 2ml, so that's too much to put on some food... Maybe she'll just take it from the syringe like she does with her Metacam, if it doesn't taste like much... Thank you for telling me. For Casper I can maybe put it on some food...

If it's EC, when should I be able to see some improvement with the Panacur? I didn't ask the vet as she was calling me between appointments and I didn't want to keep her.

If it's EC, when should I be able to see some improvement with the Panacur? I didn't ask the vet as she was calling me between appointments and I didn't want to keep her.

I think some damage from EC is irreversible but for the most part things can improve from 24 hours to 6 weeks, I've heard of the quicker response times on here, my buns have taken 2(Boo) -6 weeks (Noodle) though Rudey responded quicker

I use the 10% liquid Panacur. I don't think anything 'likes' Panacur liquid (that's cats, dogs & rabbits). I don't think it's that revolting, either, as rabbits accept daily dosing without too much fuss. Just need to syringe it straight into their mouth. I've seen improvements in about a week, but 2 weeks would be more average. It can also be a rollercoaster, with symptoms getting worse again before improving.

Ah, I see. Thank you, J&B and Shimmer. It's good to know how long it might take to see some improvement. I hate to have to restrain Casper to give him meds because he gets so scared, but if that's the only way...

Ah, I see. Thank you, J&B and Shimmer. It's good to know how long it might take to see some improvement. I hate to have to restrain Casper to give him meds because he gets so scared, but if that's the only way...

i know lots of people who prefer the liquid and its easier to work out their dose but i much prefer the paste as joey in particular hated meds by mouth even though he was easy to pick up. a bunny caspers size would prob only need one tube, its about £10 here and you can buy it some places - your vet might give ok to it if they don't stock the paste

i know lots of people who prefer the liquid and its easier to work out their dose but i much prefer the paste as joey in particular hated meds by mouth even though he was easy to pick up. a bunny caspers size would prob only need one tube, its about £10 here and you can buy it some places - your vet might give ok to it if they don't stock the paste
Aw, Casper can relate. He hates syringes in his mouth. I just put the liquid in the syringe and it's definitely too runny to put on food, so I'll give it to him directly later. And then tomorrow I think I'll ask the vets if he can have the paste, and try to put that on some food for him.

Sophie won't take it voluntarily like I'd hoped. She thought it smelled so bad when I offered her the syringe that she wiped her nose with her paw.

What concentration is the Panacur Liquid you have been prescribed ?

If you use the 10% one you only need to give 0.2ml/kg, it is odourless and tasteless

I believe neither of your Rabbits are likely to weigh much more than 2 kg so they’d only need about 0.4ml of the 10% Panacur, not 2mls as you say has been prescribed of whatever the concentration of Panacur you are currently using.

I remember my bunnies hated the liquid but were OK with the paste, taste-wise. I always got the impression it was really quite fast acting.

What concentration is the Panacur Liquid you have been prescribed ?

If you use the 10% one you only need to give 0.2ml/kg, it is odourless and tasteless

I believe neither of your Rabbits are likely to weigh much more than 2 kg so they’d only need about 0.4ml of the 10% Panacur, not 2mls as you say has been prescribed of whatever the concentration of Panacur you are currently using.
Ah, it's 2.5%. Sophie weighs a bit over 2kg, and gets a bit under 2ml, so it's the same dosage as you said, but 4 times as much because it's 2.5% instead of 10%. Casper gets less than that. So, it's all fine!

I remember my bunnies hated the liquid but were OK with the paste, taste-wise. I always got the impression it was really quite fast acting.
Ooh, that's good to know!

I just looked around online, but they don't sell the Panacur paste for rabbits here, only one for dogs and cats, and the dosage is much higher, so it would be really hard to get the dosage right for a little bunny like Casper, so I guess the liquid is best after all.

I just looked around online, but they don't sell the Panacur paste for rabbits here, only one for dogs and cats, and the dosage is much higher, so it would be really hard to get the dosage right for a little bunny like Casper, so I guess the liquid is best after all.

I just thought that getting less in volume into them would be a lot easier Sophie would only need about 0.4mls and if Casper weighs less the amount you’d need to give him would be even less :)

I just thought that getting less in volume into them would be a lot easier Sophie would only need about 0.4mls and if Casper weighs less the amount you’d need to give him would be even less :)
Oh, I get it now, I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were telling me that the dosage wasn't right. Yes, you're right about that, but they don't sell the 10% here, sadly. :(

Last edited:
What variations of Panacur can you get? 2ml is a lot to dose any rabbit, just in terms of the actual volume as they tend to dribble it out.
The 10% liquid one is labelled for cats and dogs, but Jane has given you the daily dose rate for rabbits using this. That's what I use for my rabbits (and cats).

What variations of Panacur can you get? 2ml is a lot to dose any rabbit, just in terms of the actual volume as they tend to dribble it out.
The 10% liquid one is labelled for cats and dogs, but Jane has given you the daily dose rate for rabbits using this. That's what I use for my rabbits (and cats).
Over here, we can get tablets for dogs and cats, paste for dogs and cats, paste for horses, and the 2.5% liquid (for sheep). That's all that's available, unfortunately. The 10% liquid would be a lot more convenient. You're right that with Sophie's dose some dribbles out because it's so runny and a lot.

Casper's really hating having to take the Panacur, so I've borrow my parents' blender and have done some experimenting, putting his favourite things in the blender and mixing the result with his Panacur. He likes it just fine without the Panacur, but once I put the Panacur in it he doesn't want it. :( But I just noticed his teary eye is acting up again, so I'm going to have to handle him several times a day anyway, to give him his eye drops, poor little bun. He really does hate being handled...

Back