• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Currently bonding

Hello,

We are currently about 16 hours into bonding smudge and Dexter and it is looking quite promising. There has been some humping from Dexter at the beginning and he does keep trying to do it now and again. Smudge hops about two hops away and then he gives up but tho happens quite a lot. Is this ok? I wouldn't say its chasing because sometimes he hops passed her lol. Also at the beginning smudge did try and hump dex but the wrong way round so we had to discourage that. She hasn't really tried again. Other than that they have been eating pellets nose to nose and there wasn't any aggression or anything. Before that Dexter was eating greens but smudge wasn't so we are glad she's eating something. They are laying opposite to each other and grooming themselves. We have tried the banana behind the neck thing and it seems to work. Dex will eat anything so he's been happily grooming smudge. Smudge is yet to do the same though. Is this going ok do you think?

Also on another note if this is successful and we move dex into smudges usual territory we are ready to clean with white vinegar etc but what about rugs? We have laminate so was just going to steam mop that. Would the rugs be ok to steam mop too?

Also what about the separate toys they have? We have spent a small fortune on toys for them when they were separate what do we do when they are bonded? We have things like material tunnels, cardboard castle (dexs), wooden houses toys etc and hay toys. We don't mind buying them some shared toys as well but if we had to replace them all it would cost loads! Is there anything we can do about this?

Thank you :)

I think they sound as if they are getting on very well. Humping is normal. When they have been together for a week or so, Smudge won't be as territorial over things that were hers, but if they are moving into her hutch then that will need as good a clean as you can do. With the toys if you give them one at a time and watch her reaction you will know soon enough if there is going to be any trouble or not, but I don't think there will be, as long as they are getting on ok. Hope it continues to go well.

That's great thank you. We are fully cleaning the whole living room which is going to be their new shared accommodation and building them a new c&c cage with new cortex etc. Is steaming the rugs and laminate ok? Will this get rid of her smell? Thanks again

I should think so although I've never used rugs. It sounds like they are going to have a lovely life :love:

Back