• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cryptosporidium

Pablo2013

Warren Scout
Hi all desperatly seeking advice please. Lancashire has been given a boiled water warning because apparantly traces of Cryptosporidium has been found at a water testing facilitys nearby. I have only just found this out thankfully myself and my son have not drank much water all day or the past few days usually settling for brews, fruit shoot ect but my pets!!!! My 3 buns, 3 dogs and foster Guinea Pig have all drank plenty of water the past few days it was only this afternoon i thought "bunnys have drank well" before refilling them with tap water. Now this parasite can be deadly to humans so what the hell will it do to animals. All shops have sold out of bottled water ive only managed to get 2 small bottles which ive used one for my son, Im drinking cola, from i will be boiling buns water n using bottled until the water ban is lifted.....Will my rabbits be ok? What do i do if they start showing symptoms? can it be treated in bunnies? As humans it can last over a month and be very dangerous - surley rabbits dont stand a chance? please help.

As long as you boil the water for 3 minutes, then cool it and give it to the rabbits & other pets the water will be fine.

Just keep an eye on your pets for any signs of illness and phone the vets.

As long as you boil the water for 3 minutes, then cool it and give it to the rabbits & other pets the water will be fine.

Just keep an eye on your pets for any signs of illness and phone the vets.

Yeah n the best hubby ever has just come home with 22 5LTR bottles of bottled spring....just hope no ones already digested any.

I'm not sure that this helps, but there are different types of Cryptosporidium and they can be species specific e.g. the type the dogs are affected by won't effect a bird.

The rabbit version (Crypt. Cuniculus) can make humans ill, which is why it's important to wash hands after picking up rabbit poo. Outbreaks of Crypt. in water supplies have happened previously, in one case it was traced back to a poorly wild bun that had died and fallen into a water tank. So it looks like the rabbit version can affect us, but it's not entirely clear whether versions (other than the rabbit version) affect rabbits.

The symptoms include stomach upsets and diarrheoa (I can never spell that word :roll:) so keep an eye on your rabbits for those symptoms. Equally if you have those symptoms think about how to avoid passing it to the buns (washing hands before feeding the buns would be the main one I guess).

I hope you're okay and your rabbits are too. Well done to your OH for getting supplies in

Boiled tap water will be fine. You could prepare a few pop bottles full at a time for both you and the animals - just let it cool before pouring it into the bottles. Make sure you don't use unboiled water for doing your teeth, or washing fruit or salad items. I would leave a bottle next to each tap just to remind everyone.

Crypto will cause the usual nasty tummy upsets with a big dose of the runs. Symptoms can last for weeks - so take sensible precautions to avoid it. Just keep an eye on everyone and get appropriate treatment if anyone gets ill. I'm not sure if / how it may affect rabbits.

Back