• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Sophie get some vibes? Another dental

This sounds excellent! 🥰
Perhaps there was just some lingering jaw pain from the poorly teeth...like how long it takes a sore muscle to recover from a sprain.

I'd be frugal with fruit additions to feed, even natural puree has naturally occurring sugars that can build up bad bacteria in a stalled gut...however, if it gets her to eat more critical care, that's a win! 👍

She is quite the lovely lass 🥰
Ah, perphaps... She's doing worse again today, though, so maybe not... I wish I knew.

Right, I'll be careful not to give her too much sugar, that's a good point. It's a bit of a balancing act, I suppose. Too much sugar's not good, but neither is the stress of syringe feeding, so I hope I can give her just enough apple puree to convince her to eat her syringe feed, but not too much that she'd get an upset tummy.

She is. 🥰

Well done Sophie! Keep up the good work. She is looking bright!
I'll pass along your message for her. 🥰 Yeah, she was looking brighter yesterday than she has in a while. 😊

Well done Sophie and lucky girl her dad even gives her fresh basil 🩷🩷
Thank you. She's been enjoying eating her leaves right off the plant. ❤️

We got the results of her bloods today and most of it (including her liver and kidneys) is fine, but her white blood cell count is too low, so the lab vet thinks she has an infection somewhere and recommended giving Sophie antibiotics. She also told my vet about an appetite stimulant Sophie could have, so she's going to have that as well. I admit I'm a bit concerned about the antibiotics since it could upset her guts and she's already not eating very well. I also wish we knew where this infection actually was, so we knew what we were dealing with. The vet said that it could also be inflammation of her arthritis lowering her white blood cell count, but who knows, really... I wish we had more information.

Sophie herself has been grinding her teeth more again today, and is back to not wanting to eat much, so yesterday was just a good day, and today's a not as good one. Hopefully the antibiotics will help her feel better.

Sending more positive vibes for little Sophie. It can be so upsetting to see them falter after having a positive day. Is Casper being supportive of his gal?

Oh Casper...that food is for Sophie! I'm sure you're getting your own portion! 🙄😆

Sorry to hear Sophie may have an infection and a pity they can't tell where it is. If she was already inappetant and her G.I. tract was fermenting whatever did go in I suppose it could be a gut virus/bacterium. I often found my Mimzy made prettier poos and ate better on abx than not. He was an absolute champion with baytril, which he got frequently, and would even swallow the injectable liquid freely. He amazed the vets.

They did used to give him a probiotic as well which was a paste in a tube that I'd squeeze into his mouth. It was to keep his gut flora as stable as possible during abx treatment. He wasn't keen but would take it. I don't know if there's anything like that where you are. It would have to be given a few hours separate from the abx so as not to cancel them out.

It's good to hear her liver and kidneys are OK. Keeping vibes coming for her to feel better with her new treatment. 💕 xxxxx

I'm happy her kidney & liver values were fine. Phew. Lots of vibes for Sophie. I hope her antibiotics sort out whatever is bothering her

So I'm not sure what I'm going to say, but I've had rheumatism(Ankylosing spondylitis) since a young age. When someone has rheumatism they always have high inflammation in their blood. We don't need to get an infection from somewhere, the body always acts as if there is an infection, that's the thing about rheumatism. During the spring and autumn periods, rheumatism generally experiences a flare-up period and inflammation increases. Honestly, maybe little Sophie is like this too, maybe she has high inflammation caused by rheumatism. So maybe she doesn't really have an infection. As the vet said, we need to consider this possibility as well. I hope little Sophie recovers quickly, I'm sending lots of vibes for her 🩷🩷🩷

Oh Casper...that food is for Sophie! I'm sure you're getting your own portion! 🙄😆

Sorry to hear Sophie may have an infection and a pity they can't tell where it is. If she was already inappetant and her G.I. tract was fermenting whatever did go in I suppose it could be a gut virus/bacterium. I often found my Mimzy made prettier poos and ate better on abx than not. He was an absolute champion with baytril, which he got frequently, and would even swallow the injectable liquid freely. He amazed the vets.

They did used to give him a probiotic as well which was a paste in a tube that I'd squeeze into his mouth. It was to keep his gut flora as stable as possible during abx treatment. He wasn't keen but would take it. I don't know if there's anything like that where you are. It would have to be given a few hours separate from the abx so as not to cancel them out.

It's good to hear her liver and kidneys are OK. Keeping vibes coming for her to feel better with her new treatment. 💕 xxxxx
I've actually stopped feeding him pellets because he's eating so many of Sophie's softened ones. :ROFLMAO:

Ah, yes, that would make sense... That seems to be what the vet suspects, that there's something in her gut. I'm personally not so sure and think it's more likely something in her head since she seems to have pain while eating, since she keeps trying to eat hay but not managing it. That's pretty unusual that Mimzy actually ate better on antibiotics and had better poops! Gosh, he even took Baytril willingly. What a special bunny!

Ooh, a probiotic. The vet mentioned that the other day, so there must be some available here. Maybe that would be a good idea...

Thank you so much for the vibes, really.

I'm happy her kidney & liver values were fine. Phew. Lots of vibes for Sophie. I hope her antibiotics sort out whatever is bothering her
Me, too! Thank you for the vibes, too, and for hoping the antibiotics will help.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to say, but I've had rheumatism(Ankylosing spondylitis) since a young age. When someone has rheumatism they always have high inflammation in their blood. We don't need to get an infection from somewhere, the body always acts as if there is an infection, that's the thing about rheumatism. During the spring and autumn periods, rheumatism generally experiences a flare-up period and inflammation increases. Honestly, maybe little Sophie is like this too, maybe she has high inflammation caused by rheumatism. So maybe she doesn't really have an infection. As the vet said, we need to consider this possibility as well. I hope little Sophie recovers quickly, I'm sending lots of vibes for her 🩷🩷🩷
Ah, thank you for explaining, KCG. That's actually something I'm a bit confused about, because Sophie has spondylosis/osteoarthritis and from what I've read that is caused by wear and tear, and there's no inflammation like in other types of arthritis? Thank you for sending vibes for her.

I've actually stopped feeding him pellets because he's eating so many of Sophie's softened ones. :ROFLMAO:

Ah, yes, that would make sense... That seems to be what the vet suspects, that there's something in her gut. I'm personally not so sure and think it's more likely something in her head since she seems to have pain while eating, since she keeps trying to eat hay but not managing it. That's pretty unusual that Mimzy actually ate better on antibiotics and had better poops! Gosh, he even took Baytril willingly. What a special bunny!

Ooh, a probiotic. The vet mentioned that the other day, so there must be some available here. Maybe that would be a good idea...

Thank you so much for the vibes, really.

Me, too! Thank you for the vibes, too, and for hoping the antibiotics will help.

Ah, thank you for explaining, KCG. That's actually something I'm a bit confused about, because Sophie has spondylosis/osteoarthritis and from what I've read that is caused by wear and tear, and there's no inflammation like in other types of arthritis? Thank you for sending vibes for her.
Frankly, as far as I know, CRP and sedimentation levels in the blood can be high in osteoarthritis. That's why even it can show symptoms like infection in the blood, that's the thing about rheumatism. But of course I can notice this distinction better in myself, but it may not be easy to notice it in a rabbit. Maybe the veterinarian can notice these distinctions more easily. Because it will be more difficult for a rabbit to distinguish and diagnose whether this is just a flare-up period of inflammation or whether there is a real infection in the body. I don't know how else to understand more, it is normal to feel confused and hesitant about this issue 😐

Frankly, as far as I know, CRP and sedimentation levels in the blood can be high in osteoarthritis. That's why even it can show symptoms like infection in the blood, that's the thing about rheumatism. But of course I can notice this distinction better in myself, but it may not be easy to notice it in a rabbit. Maybe the veterinarian can notice these distinctions more easily. Because it will be more difficult for a rabbit to distinguish and diagnose whether this is just a flare-up period of inflammation or whether there is a real infection in the body. I don't know how else to understand more, it is normal to feel confused and hesitant about this issue 😐
Wow, this is news to me. 🫨 I actually have spondylosis/osteoarthritis/scoliosis/stenosis and so many other "osises" I've started to think the doctor is making them up. I had no idea there were blood markers for them but I do have some odd values...it makes a lot of sense.

If Sophie is on anti-inflammatory medication she should be feeling better, but analgesia being what it is, perhaps it's not ringing all the bells. Hopefully something can be found, or dosing altered, to give her the relief she needs, and that the abx are having a positive affect. It can sometimes take awhile.

Still sending vibes for hay eating and a more comfy bunny. ❤️ 🙂

Ah, I think I see... Thank you for explaining more. I really appreciate it. :)

If Sophie is on anti-inflammatory medication she should be feeling better, but analgesia being what it is, perhaps it's not ringing all the bells. Hopefully something can be found, or dosing altered, to give her the relief she needs, and that the abx are having a positive affect. It can sometimes take awhile.

Yeah, she has her Metacam, double her normal dosage right now, but it doesn't seem to be all that's needed, so hopefully the antibiotics will help, yes. Thank you for the vibes. :)

Reactions: KCG
Sophie's appetite seems somewhat better today, so I hope that means her appetite stimulant thingie is helping. This morning I called the vets to ask how to give a pill to a rabbit, and they said to put it in the back of her mouth so she'd swallow it. Well. That's not what happened. She kept spitting it out, even when I coated it in yummy apple stuff. So, I called back and got a different person who said to crush it and dissolve it in some water and give it with a syringe, which went much better!

She's also gained 110 grams since Friday, which seems like a lot for just 5 days? I'm not even syringe feeding her that much, only about 20ml every eight hours, but she is enjoying her softened pellets, so maybe that's why. Ironic that after spending so much time trying to make her gain weight she has such an easy time doing it while she's sick. She's a healthy weight now, 2.02kg, so she can stop gaining now. I wonder if I'll have to give her less syringe feed, but I tried to give her a little less yesterday and her poops were smaller today, so it does seem like she needs it.

I'm glad you found a way to get her appetite stimulant in to her & that its having a positive impact - yay.
Its good she is back to her ideal weight. Maybe ask on Friday for the best way forward.

What would happen if you sprinkled recovery powder on top of her boo style nuggets? It'd be nice to keep her poops big as that points to a better functioning gut....however you need to look after yourself too.

Lots of carry on getting better vibes for Sophie. i hope you can have a nice period of calm, less stress & some rest ❤️

Thank you. Yes, I'm planning on asking the vet on Friday how to handle this, because if she keeps gaining weight at this rate she'll become very, very big. 😁

I've thought of sprinkling recovery powder on her nuggets, but I worry that would just stop her eating her nuggets... My baby food experiment didn't really work; she dislikes the taste of the syringe feed so much that she'll only eat it when I mix it with a whole lot of baby food, so I think the taste of the syringe feed on her nuggets would just make her not eat them... I've ordered some Critical Care, though, so hopefully she'll like that better and she'll maybe eat it willingly...

Thank you so much. ❤️

Wow, this is news to me. 🫨 I actually have spondylosis/osteoarthritis/scoliosis/stenosis and so many other "osises" I've started to think the doctor is making them up. I had no idea there were blood markers for them but I do have some odd values...it makes a lot of sense.

Rheumatic diseases are actually immune system diseases, but the body targets itself here, and that's the problem. Inflammatory pains, occasional high fever, and sometimes weakening of the immune system are normal for a rheumatism patient. During flare up periods, for example, my throat becomes swollen. I don't get any external infection, but my immunity is working so hard that many things are affected and activated at the same time, acting as if it is fighting against the infection. In fact, I always get allergies at those moments, I'm not allergic to anything. 😂😂And it is difficult to diagnose rheumatic diseases. I went to doctor after doctor for the first 8 years and could not get a diagnosis, because they did not see any changes in the blood, or when they did, they always thought I had a simple infection. Generally, there are differences in blood values in rheumatism patients, but there are also those who do not, but if there are differences in blood values, yes, this may be very normal for someone with rheumatism, so you may be right.

Back