• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Sophie get some vibes? Another dental

Sophie's stopped eating hay again, though she still seems to want to. She's been enjoying her greens, though, even though she's not eating as much of them as usual.

Sophie did the best poop I've seen from her in ages. She's actually getting more fibre being syringe fed that she normally gets. :( If she'd take it voluntarily, that'd be a nice way to get some extra fibre into her, though it wouldn't do anything for her teeth, of course...

I'm glad she's at least getting something in. Poor bub, I hope the bloodwork gives some answers.

I was so lucky with Fiver, he loved critical care and would lap it off a plate...the other two had to be syringed. 🙄

Continued vibes for no drama over the weekend and hopefully some more hay munching. On that front, what kinds of hay do you give her? Sometimes softer hays like orchard grass are more appealing to finicky buns. (I'm not implying that she's being picky, but maybe she'd like something easier to chew for awhile.) ❤️❤️❤️ xxxxx

Thank you for hoping for some answers and a no-drama weekend and hay munching.

Aah, that's very lucky! I've never met a bun who would take syringe feed willingly.

She has timothy hay, meadow hay, oat hay, barley hay, and some other nice soft, green hay that seems like orchard hay. I've been offering her little piles of the softer hays, thinking she might like them better, but she doesn't eat those, either. :(

nice to hear of better poops at least though sad it seems like hay eating isn't on the cards for her. I've been there with a few bunnies & understand its a big deal. Rudey actually went about 10 months not eating hay at all but I don't think I ever stopped trying to find the hay of his dreams How different is the fibre from her recovery feed & nuggets?

Continuing to send my very best vibes for lovely sophie ❤️

nice to hear of better poops at least though sad it seems like hay eating isn't on the cards for her. I've been there with a few bunnies & understand its a big deal. Rudey actually went about 10 months not eating hay at all but I don't think I ever stopped trying to find the hay of his dreams How different is the fibre from her recovery feed & nuggets?

Continuing to send my very best vibes for lovely sophie ❤️
I've been there with Tom, too, who didn't eat hay for a long time at the end of his life. He managed okay with dried forage and hay pellets and regular pellets, I think... I can't remember if he still ate greens; it was the first thing he'd stop eating when he had spurs. I think he did need very regular dentals at the end, though, on top of needing care for his abscess... I wish I could remember better... The crude fibre content between her pellets and the recovery feed isn't very big, 22% vs 25%, but I think the syringe feed has more indigestible fibre, the longer pieces of fibre that make up their normal poops? There are little bits of hay in the syringe feed, so that helps, while her pellets are just powder when crushed.

Thank you so much. ❤️

Sending more vibes for Sophie. I am glad she has nice poops. Sending vibes she eats more as time goes on.
Thank you so much, too, bunny momma. Her appetite doesn't really seem to increase, sadly. :(

I have a cautiously optimistic update: she's gained a little weight, her poops are better than ever, and she seems to be grinding her teeth less often. Still lots of overgrooming, but I hope it means her pain is a little less bad.

I have a cautiously optimistic update: she's gained a little weight, her poops are better than ever, and she seems to be grinding her teeth less often. Still lots of overgrooming, but I hope it means her pain is a little less bad.
oh wow, so pleased to hear Sophie is grinding her teeth less often. Yay for better poops too. Lots more vibes for beautiful & majestic Sophie bun 😍

Glad to hear more positive news, well done Sophie, hope she gets better🩷🩷🩷

oh wow, so pleased to hear Sophie is grinding her teeth less often. Yay for better poops too. Lots more vibes for beautiful & majestic Sophie bun 😍
Thank you. ❤️

Glad to hear more positive news, well done Sophie, hope she gets better🩷🩷🩷
And thank you, too. ❤️

She's been a bit more lively today instead of hiding in her house all day. She's eaten a bit more, too, I think. I gave her some 100% apple baby food today and she really enjoyed that, so I want to gradually mix in more syringe feed so she'll hopefully eat her syringe feed by herself if I make it tasty enough. She's been enjoying some basil as well. 🥰

XYYsBzlh.jpg

Reactions: KCG
Thank you. ❤️

And thank you, too. ❤️

She's been a bit more lively today instead of hiding in her house all day. She's eaten a bit more, too, I think. I gave her some 100% apple baby food today and she really enjoyed that, so I want to gradually mix in more syringe feed so she'll hopefully eat her syringe feed by herself if I make it tasty enough. She's been enjoying some basil as well. 🥰

XYYsBzlh.jpg
gorgeous girl
basil & coriander are fave herbs here

Aw well done Sophie, keep it going girl xx
I've passed along your message to her, thank you. 🥰

gorgeous girl
basil & coriander are fave herbs here
Isn't she? ❤️
They like coriander here, too. My mum just bought some for them today, so they'll have it for dinner.

She's been eating some syringe feed with apple stuff mixed in. :love: Not enough of it to go without syringe feeding at all, but it's a start. Together with the Boo-recommended moist pellets, she's getting a nice amount of calories, I think.

This sounds excellent! 🥰
Perhaps there was just some lingering jaw pain from the poorly teeth...like how long it takes a sore muscle to recover from a sprain.

I'd be frugal with fruit additions to feed, even natural puree has naturally occurring sugars that can build up bad bacteria in a stalled gut...however, if it gets her to eat more critical care, that's a win! 👍

She is quite the lovely lass 🥰

Back