• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cotton is being Neutered today! U/Date Sad News

Oh no, how terrible :cry: Did you have a PM done ? I am wondering if it might have been a post surgical embolism if it was a true sudden collapse and death :cry:

I am very sorry for you loss :cry:

No, it happened Saturday afternoon and would not have been easy to get him to the Vets. I have never had a problem before with castrations and I have never heard of an embollism. What happens and would you be aware of it?

So sorry you lost him. I would definitely let your vet know, especially as they lost another during neutering on the same day. Both are very unlikely events, so may warrant an investigation by the vets, just in case there was a link - or to show that there wasn't one.

Take care.

No, it happened Saturday afternoon and would not have been easy to get him to the Vets. I have never had a problem before with castrations and I have never heard of an embollism. What happens and would you be aware of it?

It is when a blood clot forms in a blood vessel after any type of surgery. If the clot breaks off and circulates in the bloodstream it can travel to the heart or lungs causing very sudden death.

Was his scrotum very bruised and/ or swollen after the op’ ?

I also agree with Shimmer re mentioning the sad loss to the Vet given they lost another Rabbit undergoing the same procedur on the same day. Probably totally unrelated, but I would still mention it.

It is when a blood clot forms in a blood vessel after any type of surgery. If the clot breaks off and circulates in the bloodstream it can travel to the heart or lungs causing very sudden death.

Was his scrotum very bruised and/ or swollen after the op’ ?

I also agree with Shimmer re mentioning the sad loss to the Vet given they lost another Rabbit undergoing the same procedure on the same day. Probably totally unrelated, but I would still mention it.

His scrotum was good really, not very swollen or bruised. He recovered well. He was in the shed so out of all the weather and there is no reason why he should die. It's so sad!

The only thing I noticed was his Hay consumption went down a little bit post neuter but he was still eating some and also eating Readigrass, Pellets and Veg.

Not sure if you missed this

If not it’s possible he could have been exposed to RHD at the vets, given the time scale between him being there and his sudden passing.

If he was he hasn't passed it on to any of my other Rabbits. He was in close proximity to quite a few when they went in the shed.

Back