• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed Rabbit

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Would there be a scar on her tummy? When I took Cotton on he was living with a female but the previous owner didn't know whether she had been spayed as she had got her from someone else. I have re-named her Tansy and bonded her with Rory (neutered) and they are getting along fine. She was humping him a bit at first but has stopped doing it now. It will cost £40 for the Vet to shave her tummy to check for a scar. If there is no scar is it safe to assume she has not been spayed or would an ultra scan need to be carried out to really confirm it?

I adopted an 8 month old doe some years ago and was told she had been spayed but that was second hand information. My vet checked by shaving her abdomen and could not see a scar. Given she was only 8 months old ie the surgery would have been relatively recently, they expected to see some evidence.

I went ahead and had her spayed but she had already been done.

So, my answer to your question - you would not necessarily find a scar.

I adopted an 8 month old doe some years ago and was told she had been spayed but that was second hand information. My vet checked by shaving her abdomen and could not see a scar. Given she was only 8 months old ie the surgery would have been relatively recently, they expected to see some evidence.

I went ahead and had her spayed but she had already been done.

So, my answer to your question - you would not necessarily find a scar.

This is my worry! My friend who has had a hysterectomy and has also cut herself a few times assures me there will be a mark. I hope your Bunny was ok and I may just monitor her this Spring to see if I can get any clues that way. Thanks.

This is my worry! My friend who has had a hysterectomy and has also cut herself a few times assures me there will be a mark. I hope your Bunny was ok and I may just monitor her this Spring to see if I can get any clues that way. Thanks.

She was the most amazing bunny. I felt so guilty for putting her through a spay that she didn't need.

I wish that I had monitored her as she was the most gentle calm little angel. It would have been pretty clear that she had been spayed.

You can’t always see a scar. An U/S scan could be a way to check, but sometimes it can still be tricky to be 100% certain

Does the Rabbit have a large dewlap ?

If you check her vulva every few days you might see it becoming larger and redder at certain times. That could be indicative of her being about to ovulate and ready to be mated up, so not spayed.

It is v difficult to tell if some species have been spayed. I can't find the scars on any of my cats, dogs or rabbits once they have fully healed. If only people healed as well as they do...

You can’t always see a scar. An U/S scan could be a way to check, but sometimes it can still be tricky to be 100% certain

Does the Rabbit have a large dewlap ?

If you check her vulva every few days you might see it becoming larger and redder at certain times. That could be indicative of her being about to ovulate and ready to be mated up, so not spayed.

No she hasn't got a dewlap. The thing is she lived with Cotton (unneutered) but didn't get pregnant.

No she hasn't got a dewlap. The thing is she lived with Cotton (unneutered) but didn't get pregnant.

You could discuss the U/S option with your Vet. Do you know if she was registered with a Vet when with the previous owner ? If so your Vet could contact the previous Vet to ask if they have any record of a spay. The previous Vet unlikely to disclose any information directly to you.

I called the last vet that had treated Primrose when we got her.

They werent able to give loads of info but did confirm she had been fully spayed.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

The previous owner didn't have them very long and I don't think she had taken them to a Vet. If Tansy is microchipped maybe that would give me some info?

The previous owner didn't have them very long and I don't think she had taken them to a Vet. If Tansy is microchipped maybe that would give me some info?

Not about her neuter status, only her recorded legal owner. You need to update this info to your name and contact details. Did the previous owner get her from PAH ? If so they might have some records. If she came from the adoption section a neuter voucher is given. If there is an in store Vets then it would be likely they did the spay so you could check with them.

Not about her neuter status, only her recorded legal owner. You need to update this info to your name and contact details. Did the previous owner get her from PAH ? If so they might have some records. If she came from the adoption section a neuter voucher is given. If there is an in store Vets then it would be likely they did the spay so you could check with them.

That was what I was thinking as well. I've had a couple of rabbits through rescue that were already chipped & neutered.

The previous owner got them (Cotton and Tansy) from different homes. She got them for the Grandchildren but they lost interest.

You would be unlikely to see a scar if it isn’t recent. We usually ultrasound them to check, then if still unclear they go in to be spayed.

You would be unlikely to see a scar if it isn’t recent. We usually ultrasound them to check, then if still unclear they go in to be spayed.

Do you get many ultrasounds where the vet is confident the rabbit has been spayed? When I had this dilemma, my vet said that rabbit uteruses as so tiny they are very difficult to see on ultrasound and it would be extremely difficult to make the call that they had definitely been spayed and that seeing the uterus would be much more likely that being 100% sure that there wasn't one.

Back