• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie's eyes white piece

We have been using Cookie's medicines for 1 week. But today, on the 7th day, the same white patch appeared in his left eye again. I'm scared now, why isn't my son getting better? Why is my son's eye not getting better? I'm so bad, I'm crying with fear, I'm so scared something will happen to him. :cry: :cry:

Sounds like the nasolacrimal duct is blocked. The Vet can attempt to flush it through to clear the pus blocking it. Then the eye treatment will need to continue for another couple of weeks. If the problem keeps recurring then the Vet might suggest taking skull radiographs to assess the tooth roots. If the tooth roots are elongated then unfortunately the eye problems are likely to be chronic and whilst the condition cannot be cured it can be managed with daily eye bathing and antibiotic eye drops if infection occurs.

Sounds like the nasolacrimal duct is blocked. The Vet can attempt to flush it through to clear the pus blocking it. Then the eye treatment will need to continue for another couple of weeks. If the problem keeps recurring then the Vet might suggest taking skull radiographs to assess the tooth roots. If the tooth roots are elongated then unfortunately the eye problems are likely to be chronic and whilst the condition cannot be cured it can be managed with daily eye bathing and antibiotic eye drops if infection occurs.

The vet also washed and cleaned the cookie's eye canals last week. But Cookie has a good appetite, very eager to eat. He gets very excited for food and eats hay too. Do you think he would be this excited to eat again if he had a root problem? We also use anti inflammatory eye drops for 7 days. :cry:

No, we use anti inflammatory eye drops (NSAID)
I'm no expert, but I'd have thought considering he had/has pus in his eye, he'd have needed antibiotic eye drops, not those? (maybe as well as, but not just those?) [emoji51]

I'm no expert, but I'd have thought considering he had/has pus in his eye, he'd have needed antibiotic eye drops, not those? (maybe as well as, but not just those?) [emoji51]
I agree. Did he have oral antibiotic perhaps?
Sending more vibes.

I agree. Did he have oral antibiotic perhaps?
Sending more vibes.

No, gave nothing but anti inflammatory eye drops. She just gave me anti inflammatory eye drops and eye solution.

Really vets in Turkey will drive me crazy. Believe me, I'm going to one of the most expensive vets in Turkey just for Cookie. And I'm paying this woman 3 times the normal wage. The only reason for this is that the woman understands rodents in Turkey. They are still not as knowledgeable about rabbits as the people on the forum.
I asked the vet again yesterday, I said there is a white patch in Cookie's eye again. The vet said to me, "I don't think there's anything in his eye, I think just wait, don't come to check". I got very angry and the vet got her share of anger, I said "If this kid had a healthy eye, this piece wouldn't exist, are you kidding me? This child's eye is sick, it has not healed, there may even be a problem with the roots of the teeth. Even I question this, what do you do as a veterinarian?. The vet deserved it, I really pay the woman a lot of money, I paid minimum wage, look at the treatment I got, Disgrace. Let me spit on the knowledge of veterinarians in Turkey. They don't know anything. Even a standard veterinarian in Europe knows more about rabbits than a veterinarian in Turkey who says vet is a rodent expert. I don't like stupid people at all.....

In short, let me say it again, the vet only gave us eye solution and anti-inflammatory eye drops. We don't use anything else.

Last edited:
I would suggest that he needs something like this, the active ingredient is Fusidic Acid

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/isathal-10mg-ml-eye-drops-3g

I think it is available as Fusibest in Turkey

https://www.medicinesfaq.com/brand/fusibest

I looked at the product you shared, Unfortunately, there is no isathal in Turkey, We also buy these drugs from the pharmacy, we use drugs used for humans. :(

I looked at it as fucidic acid in Turkey. Turkey has fucithalmic and fusix. I will tell this to the vet. I share pictures of drugs. Oh Jane thank you so much, this help means a lot to me. :(

https://images.app.goo.gl/qo1GEZzgNn1h7Div6

https://images.app.goo.gl/jwfX4V83P29iguw58

Back