• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little poops

KCG

Warren Veteran
Good morning everybody,
Cookie has been pooping since yesterday, but his poops are small in size and a little deformed in shape. But the poop amount is normal, but I am restless. What do you think could cause this situation and what should I pay attention to, what should I do?

I am attaching a picture

https://imguh.com/image/CzT9D
https://imguh.com/image/CzKXN

Small poo is indicative of gut motility slow down. Is he eating lots of hay ? Is he drinking his normal amount. One of the main causes of gut slow down is not eating enough hay. Not eating enough hay is often, but not always, due to the onset of Dental problems.

I would monitor his hay intake today and if his poo remains small by tomorrow I would get him checked by a Vet, especially his teeth.

If he is moulting then grooming him would be a good idea. Ingesting fur is not generally a problem, but it can be if gut motility is already reduced.

Encourage him to exercise too, hay, fluids and exercise promote good gut motility.

Yea I agree with Jane, I'd keep a really close eye on him and make sure he's still eating lots, ideally more hay. I hope he keeps on nomming, sending lots of vibes

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Small poo is indicative of gut motility slow down. Is he eating lots of hay ? Is he drinking his normal amount. One of the main causes of gut slow down is not eating enough hay. Not eating enough hay is often, but not always, due to the onset of Dental problems.

I would monitor his hay intake today and if his poo remains small by tomorrow I would get him checked by a Vet, especially his teeth.

If he is moulting then grooming him would be a good idea. Ingesting fur is not generally a problem, but it can be if gut motility is already reduced.

Encourage him to exercise too, hay, fluids and exercise promote good gut motility.

He actually eats a lot of hay, so i don't understand why. Now I checked, fresh poops are normal, but I'm still worried :(

This situation of Cookie has passed 10 days and it still continues, albeit a little. Currently using metacam, still continues. The size of his poop changes constantly throughout the day, he poops a little normally, then he poops a little small, then he poops normally again.. It always goes like this.. Also his appetite is very good and he eats a lot of hay, he drinks on metacam, I don't understand what's wrong!? :|

I would not keep giving him Metacam unless directed to do so by a Vet. Metacam can be harsh on the Kidneys and can also irritate the lining of the stomach. Although the latter is less of an issue for Rabbits.

If you remain concerned I would get him examined by a Vet :)

I would not keep giving him Metacam unless directed to do so by a Vet. Metacam can be harsh on the Kidneys and can also irritate the lining of the stomach. Although the latter is less of an issue for Rabbits.

If you remain concerned I would get him examined by a Vet :)

Vet gave the Metacam for the sore hocks on his feet. And if it's because of the pain, she said, it will relax him and his poop will go back to normal. Normally we will go for a check-up after 1 week, but this still worries me. I really can't understand why. :|

Back