• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie's eyes white piece

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hi,
Cookie has a white thing in his eye for a few hours like in the picture. He sheds a lot these days so I think he got fur in his eye. I myself carefully removed this white thing from Cookie's eye with a napkin. He's fine now, even licking my hand after removing the white patch from his eye, I think he thanked me. I was very careful, I did not hurt his eye, but I was restless. Do you think I should take him to the vet tomorrow? Also has anyone experienced this before?

https://imguh.com/image/4L1we

It is easy to scratch the cornea when removing fur or debris from an eyeball. Usually I flush the eye with sterile water or artificial tears to remove anything that bunny cannot remove themself.
Given cookie's eye problems following his neuter, you may want vet to stain his eye to check his cornea. Though you may also choose to monitor it at home.

It is easy to scratch the cornea when removing fur or debris from an eyeball. Usually I flush the eye with sterile water or artificial tears to remove anything that bunny cannot remove themself.
Given cookie's eye problems following his neuter, you may want vet to stain his eye to check his cornea. Though you may also choose to monitor it at home.

I talked to the vet she said I have to watch him for now. What artificial tears are you talking about?

That looks like pus from the nasolacrimal duct. If there is indication of any inflammation in the eye, if his eye waters or if he starts sneezing again then a Vet check is needed. The problem may now have resolved as the plug of pus has shifted, but a Vet check would be able to assess if there is still signs of active infection.It is up to you if you want to see how he gets on today or if you want to get him seen by the Vet this morning :)

I suspect his recent sneezing episodes were related to a blocked nasolacrimal duct.

Last edited:
That looks like pus from the nasolacrimal duct. If there is indication of any inflammation in the eye, if his eye waters or if he starts sneezing again then a Vet check is needed. The problem may now have resolved as the plug of pus has shifted, but a Vet check would be able to assess if there is still signs of active infection.It is up to you if you want to see how he gets on today or if you want to get him seen by the Vet this morning :)

I suspect his recent sneezing episodes were related to a blocked nasolacrimal duct.

Oh You may be right, no one knows better than you. You are the most competent, wisest person about rabbits for me.

Jane, But that piece in the cookie's eye was moving, does that indicate it's still pus? Does the piece of pus move?

Now a piece is moving again in the cookie's eye. It was horizontal at first, I showed it in the first picture. That piece now stands vertical. Looks like a piece of fur.

https://imguh.com/image/4hGh3
https://imguh.com/image/4h98X

Yep, the discharge comes out of the nasolacrimal duct and obviously slips about on the eyeball, moving as blinking occurs and as the eyeball moves. The discharge is not attached to the eyeball. It usually eventually migrates to the corner of the eye and is easy to remove using a sterile pad. You might find that were you to gently massage around the corner of the eye/by the nasolacrimal duct more discharge will appear. I would call the Vet and ask if he/she thinks Cookie needs to be examined to check if the duct is blockedand to have a course of antibiotic eye drops.

Yep, the discharge comes out of the nasolacrimal duct and obviously slips about on the eyeball, moving as blinking occurs and as the eyeball moves. The discharge is not attached to the eyeball. It usually eventually migrates to the corner of the eye and is easy to remove using a sterile pad. You might find that were you to gently massage around the corner of the eye/by the nasolacrimal duct more discharge will appear. I would call the Vet and ask if he/she thinks Cookie needs to be examined to check if the duct is blockedand to have a course of antibiotic eye drops.

I got it, now I've made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow, we'll go tomorrow morning. My little boy, I'm so sorry, isn't he healed? :( I don't understand why he didn't get better :( :(

Jane, The cookie now consists of the same piece in the other eye. This sure looks like pus doesn't it?

Jane, you are right. We're on our way home from the vet now. The vet said Cookie had a blockage in the eye canal and it was pus. They gave me eye drops and solution.Also, I've never had a pet before so I didn't know about pet meds. Now I bought some wound cleaning drugs, solutions, etc. from the vet, for Cookie's pharmacy cabinet.

Sorry I missed your posts yesterday. Hopefully now that Cookie is on some treatment his eye infection will clear up quickly :)

Thank you so much. Cookie heals fast right? :|

Usually the discharge stops after about 4-5 days of treatment but it is important to keep the treatment going for a few days after symptoms disappear. This is to make sure no rogue bacteria get left behind.

Usually the discharge stops after about 4-5 days of treatment but it is important to keep the treatment going for a few days after symptoms disappear. This is to make sure no rogue bacteria get left behind.

So after 4-5 days of medication, should I continue the medication for 2-3 more days?

Back