• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie is very poorly :(

Cookie has been to see the vet for a check up, and we've just gotten back home (she was keen to get out of the carrier). We had a long night of feeds and strokes, and in the early hours, we thought it might be time. She fought on though, and she's being so, so brave. ❤️

The car journey to the vets was bumpy and I could see how tired she was when we got there. I was so scared she would pass away in the carrier.

They think she may have an inner ear infection or a spacial (spatial?) lesion inside her brain, and her eyes aren't reacting to light (I did think there was an issue with her sight, it seems hard for her to focus). She's lost 10g of weight, which they said wasn't an issue - I'll step up the syringe feeds, and we're encouraging her to eat by herself by offering all her favourite greens and slivers of pears and apple.

We've agreed that we'll continue to syringe feed her for another 24 hours to see how it goes. If there is no improvement, the vet believes it's time to think about letting her go.

She's been eating petals, greens and sprinkles by herself since we got in. I'm hoping the dry herbs will make her thirsty enough to start drinking by herself.

I've had 6 lovely years with her; she's the loveliest, feistist of little buns - cheeky and funny, always wanting strokes and treats. It's so hard to think of her not being here Xx

Cookie has been to see the vet for a check up, and we've just gotten back home (she was keen to get out of the carrier). We had a long night of feeds and strokes, and in the early hours, we thought it might be time. She fought on though, and she's being so, so brave. ❤️

The car journey to the vets was bumpy and I could see how tired she was when we got there. I was so scared she would pass away in the carrier.

They think she may have an inner ear infection or a spacial (spatial?) lesion inside her brain, and her eyes aren't reacting to light (I did think there was an issue with her sight, it seems hard for her to focus). She's lost 10g of weight, which they said wasn't an issue - I'll step up the syringe feeds, and we're encouraging her to eat by herself by offering all her favourite greens and slivers of pears and apple.

We've agreed that we'll continue to syringe feed her for another 24 hours to see how it goes. If there is no improvement, the vet believes it's time to think about letting her go.

She's been eating petals, greens and sprinkles by herself since we got in. I'm hoping the dry herbs will make her thirsty enough to start drinking by herself.

I've had 6 lovely years with her; she's the loveliest, feistist of little buns - cheeky and funny, always wanting strokes and treats. It's so hard to think of her not being here Xx

I am sure that whatever you decide to do it will be in Cookie's best interests. I do hope that she shows some signs of improvement xx

Bless your sweet girl. I am keeping everything crossed for some improvement in Cookie. I'm sorry you (and Cookie) are having such a tough time. xxx

Sending loads of vibes for your lovely Cookie :love:

I hope she shows some signs of improvement, but whatever you have to do, I know it will be done with love for her xx

Sending lots of vibes for Cookie.
I know you'll make the right decision whatever it will be, thoughts are with you at such a difficult time xx

Cookie is resting on my tummy at the moment (soft and squishy) and has the occasional piece of juicy pear.

I'm trying to get her to eat grass, but at the moment she wants only fruit, flowers or Ella's Kirchen goop. We had a nice gentle sit in a shady area outside this morning - I thought a light breeze on her face and body might feel good.

Cookie is resting on my tummy at the moment (soft and squishy) and has the occasional piece of juicy pear.

I'm trying to get her to eat grass, but at the moment she wants only fruit, flowers or Ella's Kirchen goop. We had a nice gentle sit in a shady area outside this morning - I thought a light breeze on her face and body might feel good.

You are such a lovely, caring bunny mum. Its sweet everything you are doing for cookie x

To be honest, when a bunny is poorly I feed them whatever they will eat, however 'bad' it is for them! When Jess was poorly she had a mountain of 'sugary' veg as it was the only thing she would eat. With Sweep it was grass and with River it was pellets! The time for getting Cookie on a healthy diet again will be when she is further along her recovery.

Lots of vibes

To be honest, when a bunny is poorly I feed them whatever they will eat, however 'bad' it is for them! When Jess was poorly she had a mountain of 'sugary' veg as it was the only thing she would eat. With Sweep it was grass and with River it was pellets! The time for getting Cookie on a healthy diet again will be when she is further along her recovery.

Lots of vibes

this anything even if not what would usually feed all the time, is better then nothing, sending lots of vibes for cookie xx

Back