• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cookie had surgery

My bunnies sleep for many daylight hours, as do many bunnies. Cookie may want to sleep in peace. so he moves out of reach.

Yeah, I agree with Shimmer that he's probably just growing up. He's past his puberty now, and is becoming an adult bunny. In my experience, young bunnies are often more focused on getting human attention, but become more independent once they reach adulthood.

I understood. So these behaviors of Cookie are normal. Isn't he unhappy because he's alone? I was worried about that.

I understood. So these behaviors of Cookie are normal. Isn't he unhappy because he's alone? I was worried about that.
Well, it's possible that he's unhappy because he's alone. He might not need or want human company as much as an adult, but would probably still like bunny company. I agree with Graciee that bunnies are unlikely to truly happy when kept without another bunny.

Well, it's possible that he's unhappy because he's alone. He might not need or want human company as much as an adult, but would probably still like bunny company. I agree with Graciee that bunnies are unlikely to truly happy when kept without another bunny.

This makes me think and worry too. But like I said I spend a lot of money on Cookie, two bunnies would be heavy. I buy most of Cookie materials and toys from abroad and I buy in Euros, I pay 10 times more than you give. I can say I paid a small fortune to the vet, that's it. Actually Cookie is generally happy binky, has a good appetite, is curious but no longer plays with me and spends little time, always wants to spend time by himself. This makes me think a lot, Cookie is 10 months old, it's more normal for him to be on his own now after neutering. When this is the case, i feel sorry for getting neutered, we had a very strong bond before neutering, we were together 24/7. :|

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Yes I think you are to be honest, like has already been said bunnies tend to snooze during the day, and I guess Cookie is no different. Try not to worry about this, I'm sure he loves your company when he is with you, but I would let it be on his terms xx

Yes I think you are to be honest, like has already been said bunnies tend to snooze during the day, and I guess Cookie is no different. Try not to worry about this, I'm sure he loves your company when he is with you, but I would let it be on his terms xx

Oh thank you so much. What you said sounded so good to me, very very thanks. :D :D :D

This makes me think and worry too. But like I said I spend a lot of money on Cookie, two bunnies would be heavy. I buy most of Cookie materials and toys from abroad and I buy in Euros, I pay 10 times more than you give. I can say I paid a small fortune to the vet, that's it. Actually Cookie is generally happy binky, has a good appetite, is curious but no longer plays with me and spends little time, always wants to spend time by himself. This makes me think a lot, Cookie is 10 months old, it's more normal for him to be on his own now after neutering. When this is the case, i feel sorry for getting neutered, we had a very strong bond before neutering, we were together 24/7. :|
It's very possible it would've happened if you hadn't had him neutered, too. He still would've grown up. Bunnies change between when they're babies and become adults, and as adults they'll keep changing, too, as they get older.

It's very possible it would've happened if you hadn't had him neutered, too. He still would've grown up. Bunnies change between when they're babies and become adults, and as adults they'll keep changing, too, as they get older.

I'm inexperienced with rabbits, which is one reason why I'm so worried. It's best to accept this change. I always see him as my little baby. :)

You are not giving Cookie long enough to get over his neuter although neutering does calm them down a lot. I am sure he will get back to normal soon.

You are not giving Cookie long enough to get over his neuter although neutering does calm them down a lot. I am sure he will get back to normal soon.

You are right. I can't think rationally and prudently as I'm usually very worried about Cookie. I need to be more patient.

As others have said, Rabbits generally do better when they have a Rabbit companion. Us humans can never be as good a companion as can another Rabbit. Whilst I respect the feelings of those who see their Rabbits as their babies Rabbits are not babies. Rabbits are Rabbits and by anthropomorphising them we lose sight of their true needs. Rabbits do not need humans at an emotional level, but IMO they do need another Rabbit/ Rabbits.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/rabbit-companionship/

As others have said, Rabbits generally do better when they have a Rabbit companion. Us humans can never be as good a companion as can another Rabbit. Whilst I respect the feelings of those who see their Rabbits as their babies Rabbits are not babies. Rabbits are Rabbits and by anthropomorphising them we lose sight of their true needs. Rabbits do not need humans at an emotional level, but IMO they do need another Rabbit/ Rabbits.

I understand what you are saying, I will read the link. Thank you so much. :)

While I agree with this, I believe also that a single Rabbit can be happy if they have a close relationship with their owner. Rabbits do not live on their own in the wild and studies have shown that they like to be close to other Rabbits, even touching them, as this makes them feel more secure, being a prey animal.

While I agree with this, I believe also that a single Rabbit can be happy if they have a close relationship with their owner. Rabbits do not live on their own in the wild and studies have shown that they like to be close to other Rabbits, even touching them, as this makes them feel more secure, being a prey animal.

I'm never as experienced and knowledgeable as those on this forum. But I learned a lot from bunylady about the care and behavior of Cookie when I first got it. Bunylady says the rabbit can be happy with people when it has enough attention and love. Cookie is normally a happy rabbit, but after the neutering surgery, I am unfamiliar with these changes and I worry that I am making her unhappy. Maybe Cookie would be more happy if he had a rabbit partner, but he is happy with us too. I just want everything to be perfect with Cookie, I panic if his behavior changes, I know this thought is unreal. :|

https://bunnylady.com/single-rabbits/

I also do not have the financial and physical strength to buy a partner for Cookie, because I take care of Cookie a lot, I sleep with him, I watch TV with him, I read with him, I eat with him, I sit with me even while I have breakfast and feed him small vegetables. :D If there were two rabbits, I wouldn't have spent so much time. I also spend a lot of money on Cookie. Since it is not common to care for rabbits in Turkey, I buy a simple chewing stone of Cookie, ball toys from abroad for 10-12 times more. Even finding hay and pellets for cookies is limited, I spend huge budgets on everything. Maybe you will have a hard time believing it, but let me explain, I spend close to the minimum wage for the Cookie every month, the monthly budget of this Cookie. People can afford to live on minimum wage, so really Cookie's budget is crazy. Everyone would be shocked if I talked about the vet budget. That's why two rabbits push me hard both in time and financially.

I agree with what’s been said about rabbits being happiest with another rabbit, even when they are house bunnies with plenty of human company. I appreciate what you are saying about the cost implications, especially on food and vet bills, but I imagine a lot of the costs are delivery costs so ordering double the amount for 2 bunnies won’t necessarily double the cost. And he would share his toys with his new bunny friend :love: I can say from personal experience also that getting another bunny as a friend for Frosty actually reduced vet bills because he ate more hay with a friend, and didn’t need regular dentals any more.

I agree with what’s been said about rabbits being happiest with another rabbit, even when they are house bunnies with plenty of human company. I appreciate what you are saying about the cost implications, especially on food and vet bills, but I imagine a lot of the costs are delivery costs so ordering double the amount for 2 bunnies won’t necessarily double the cost. And he would share his toys with his new bunny friend :love: I can say from personal experience also that getting another bunny as a friend for Frosty actually reduced vet bills because he ate more hay with a friend, and didn’t need regular dentals any more.

Maybe he would be happier if he had a rabbit partner, but getting a second rabbit would be very challenging for us.
If the costs were just the delivery fee then everything would be easier. :( Turkish lira is so worthless, I give 230 liras for what you give 20 pounds there. Also, when customs and cargo costs are added, I can even give 500 liras, because the government in Turkey takes extra customs duty and tries to prevent overseas shopping. I give customs fee equal to product fee + product fee.
Also the Turkish economy is not good, so inflation is very high, even when I buy straw and pellets for Cookie, I buy at constantly changing and rising prices, prices are never stable.
To be honest Turkey economy is sh.t. I think Turkey has already gone bankrupt, but the government does not explain.

Maybe he would be happier if he had a rabbit partner, but getting a second rabbit would be very challenging for us.
If the costs were just the delivery fee then everything would be easier. :( Turkish lira is so worthless, I give 230 liras for what you give 20 pounds there. Also, when customs and cargo costs are added, I can even give 500 liras, because the government in Turkey takes extra customs duty and tries to prevent overseas shopping. I give customs fee equal to product fee + product fee.
Also the Turkish economy is not good, so inflation is very high, even when I buy straw and pellets for Cookie, I buy at constantly changing and rising prices, prices are never stable.
To be honest Turkey economy is sh.t. I think Turkey has already gone bankrupt, but the government does not explain.
Honestly rabbits don't need half the stuff people say they do!

As long as you've got hay, fresh water, maybe some pellets but tiny amounts, and somewhere for them to hide and a litter tray, and ofc space! They'll be fine :) most pet stuff you can buy for rabbits I think is dangerous [emoji51] like those mineral stones, completely pointless [emoji38]

Imo he'd be much happier with another rabbit and zero toys and stuff. But the vet bill thing is a very real concern, vet bills are tough!

It must be hard to find supplies for Cookie in a country where rabbit keeping is rare. Can you find any supplies from horse/agricultural merchants? Even in the uk hay marketed for rabbits is very expensive compared to hay marketed for horses etc.

I think you mentioned 3 monthly vet visits for Cookie?

That must cost a fortune, the usual here for a healthy bun is 6 or 12 monthly.

I then pay for a nurse visit for nails if absolutely needed as its cheaper than the vet and the nurses are best for that kind of care.

My guys are easy to keep happy with a water bowel, loo,some hay, small amount of nuggets and one treat a day.

Then for entertainment rather than buy lots that they loose interest in I just mix things up a bit.

Make them a Fort out of a cardboard box or move their houses around to make tunnels etc and I grow them some grass on indoor window sill planters.

Their main entertainment is each other they play groom and eat together etc. They also support each other while stressed. I find my bonded bunnies have been ill much less often than when they were single.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your support but soon our whole life could change :shock: If we are in Europe soon none of this will be needed, then everything will be easier and I can find a female partner for Cookie in Europe :shock:

Back