• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cookie had surgery

In the photos you posted he does not look underweight.

I would definitely take the cone off. None of my Rabbits have ever had to wear a cone after surgery. Cones are stressful to have to wear and stress can lead to weight loss. Also, he may not be able to eat his cecotrophs whilst wearing a cone. If he does not eat his cecotrophs he won’t be able to metabolise dietary nutrients and ultimately not eating cecotrophs can cause dysbiosis.

I would weigh him again after a couple of days of not wearing the cone before increasing his food rations. After neutering the pituitary gland continues to send signals to the testes to continue to produce testosterone but the testes are no longer there. This causes physiological stress which will burn more calories and may lead to some weight loss.The pituitary gland ‘ calms down ‘ after a few weeks.

As he is very well within himself and eating, drinking, pooping and weeing normally I would not be too concerned :)

In the photos you posted he does not look underweight.

I would definitely take the cone off. None of my Rabbits have ever had to wear a cone after surgery. Cones are stressful to have to wear and stress can lead to weight loss. Also, he may not be able to eat his cecotrophs whilst wearing a cone. If he does not eat his cecotrophs he won’t be able to metabolise dietary nutrients and ultimately not eating cecotrophs can cause dysbiosis.

I would weigh him again after a couple of days of not wearing the cone before increasing his food rations. After neutering the pituitary gland continues to send signals to the testes to continue to produce testosterone but the testes are no longer there. This causes physiological stress which will burn more calories and may lead to some weight loss.The pituitary gland ‘ calms down ‘ after a few weeks.

As he is very well within himself and eating, drinking, pooping and weeing normally I would not be too concerned :)

Oh thank you so much Jane. You made me feel so comfortable, I'm crying with happiness. Thank you very very very much. :)

Can I ask one last thing. Bunnies in forums are usually chubby and have a fat belly. But Cookie isn't like that, is it normal for him to have an athletic body? Cookie isn't too weak, is he?
I'm sorry I have not posted before hun. I feel your stress but you are worrying so much. Cookie looks a really healthy weight. I would love to get Mischief to look a little slimmer more like Cookie [emoji4]

I did say to you on the message and lots of people on here have said the same that you should take the cone off. I understand your worries and the vet said to keep it on but he will be much happier without it.

You are keeping such a close eye on him and being such a fantastic Mum. I am a worrier too especially with Mischief so know how you are feeling [emoji175]

As others have said he is eating, drinking and pooping fine. If you think he is not drinking enough water then you should give him a little water sometimes. I think perhaps every 30 minutes is so much and he is no longer thirsty and so does not drink out of the bowl himself. You could maybe give him water every 2 hours and then he may get thirsty again and drink out of the bowl himself.

I also think you need to look after yourself and also you can look after Cookie better aswell. You need to get some sleep. Cookie will be fine. He looks very healthy to me so please try not to worry so much.

Sending you and Cookie much love. Hope you are back to watching TV together soon [emoji175][emoji175]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I have not posted before hun. I feel your stress but you are worrying so much. Cookie looks a really healthy weight. I would love to get Mischief to look a little slimmer more like Cookie [emoji4]

I did say to you on the message and lots of people on here have said the same that you should take the cone off. I understand your worries and the vet said to keep it on but he will be much happier without it.

You are keeping such a close eye on him and being such a fantastic Mum. I am a worrier too especially with Mischief so know how you are feeling [emoji175]

As others have said he is eating, drinking and pooping fine. If you think he is not drinking enough water then you should give him a little water sometimes. I think perhaps every 30 minutes is so much and he is no longer thirsty and so does not drink out of the bowl himself. You could maybe give him water every 2 hours and then he may get thirsty again and drink out of the bowl himself.

I also think you need to look after yourself and also you can look after Cookie better aswell. You need to get some sleep. Cookie will be fine. He looks very healthy to me so please try not to worry so much.

Sending you and Cookie much love. Hope you are back to watching TV together soon [emoji175][emoji175]

I wish he looked a little fat like Mischief. :D I know he'll be happier without his cone. But I know if I take it off he'll ruin his stitches 100 percent. What is he doing to reach him seams even now. :D I want to complete the surgery without any problems. Last 2 days left with the hat on his head. :)

He's already used to the hat. He started to regain his old energy and joy since last night. He was very active, very curious, he started licking me again. :D

I know you understand me, thank you so much. :) He doesn't drink water every 30 minutes. I offer him water every 30 minutes, he drinks if he wants. :D Even for this, I wake up every half hour at night. My sleep and my life are like sh.t right now. :lol: My mom didn't look at me like that when I got sick. :lol:

My dear, I love you so much. :) So glad that I have you. Thank you so much. :)

How is cookie today? Did you remove his cone? Sending vibes he is healing well.

Cookie's hat comes out tomorrow, we have a vet check tomorrow. :) Cookie is so good, mashallah mashallah. He's so mischievous now, he's regained him old energy. He's always trying to run. I still don't let him go anywhere but his room because I'm afraid. Because he's always running and jumping. If the vet gives okay, we will be completely free tomorrow, he can jump and run as he wants. :D Now he's offended at me for not letting him run and jump outside his room. :D I go to him all the time and we sit together or lie on the floor, he is very happy about it, I see him miss me

Really pleased that Cookie is coping well, one day to go and the cone comes off ! Well done Cookie and mum ! xx

In daily chat you said you are a mess because Cookie is shaking his head and you are worried he has an infection. Sending vibes he just wants to scratch/clean his ears and cone is in his way.

In daily chat you said you are a mess because Cookie is shaking his head and you are worried he has an infection. Sending vibes he just wants to scratch/clean his ears and cone is in his way.

Yes, I took off his cone hat from his head. Now it's 4:50am here and I checked Cookie again. His ears are now erect and look the same as before. He also lets me touch and caress his ears, so it doesn't hurt anymore. I'll observe again in the morning, check again if he is nodding.
Also, thank you very much for your care. You are very kind. :)

Yes, I took off his cone hat from his head. Now it's 4:50am here and I checked Cookie again. His ears are now erect and look the same as before. He also lets me touch and caress his ears, so it doesn't hurt anymore. I'll observe again in the morning, check again if he is nodding.
Also, thank you very much for your care. You are very kind. :)

Lovely update. Hope all goes well at vets.

Oh Mischief is overweight. He needs a diet big time! But we have to wait until he is well and recovered from his op. It is bad for their heart/lungs/bones to name just a few problems plus he is so lazy! Cookie is much healthier. I want Mis hief to look more like Cookie to live a longer, healthier and happier life.

You need to be supporting him to lose weight rather than worrying Cookie needs to gain weight. He is fine. Bunnies are not supposed to have tummies really. Well tiny ones.

I'm so glad Cookie is doing so well. I love that he is still active with the 'hat on his head'...I still laugh when I read that! I made Phil laugh reading out your post. Only as you are sweet and funny though not in a horrible way [emoji175]

I only suggest you give him water every 2 hours as you need your rest too! Plus also you will make him angry if you go to him with bottle too often. He will not suffer if he has no drink for 2 hours I wouldn't have thought?

Please if someone disagrees with this advice please say. I will not be offended!

I think of you and Cookie and his hat always! [emoji173]

I just read the rest of the post. I am so happy Cookie has his hat off his head now! [emoji16]

I'm so sorry I have not posted on this thread and only your other one! I feel so guilty as you always support me and you are such a good friend.

I can only say I am struggling so much just looking after these 2and I hardly do anything for myself. I forget to eat and drink and take my meds.

So it is not that I don't care. Little Cookie and you can watch TV together again now. Such great news! You did so well looking after Cookie and he is a brave, clever boy [emoji173][emoji173]

I just read the rest of the post. I am so happy Cookie has his hat off his head now! [emoji16]

I'm so sorry I have not posted on this thread and only your other one! I feel so guilty as you always support me and you are such a good friend.

I can only say I am struggling so much just looking after these 2and I hardly do anything for myself. I forget to eat and drink and take my meds.

So it is not that I don't care. Little Cookie and you can watch TV together again now. Such great news! You did so well looking after Cookie and he is a brave, clever boy [emoji173][emoji173]

Thank you so much Tigz. You are very very kindd :) Please don't feel guilty. I don't expect anything from you while I try to support you. What you and Mischief have been through is hard enough, please don't think about me. I hope you and Mischief get well soon.

Back