• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Contriversial question - neutering

Personally, I prefer my boys to be done :)
for us - it improved Phoebes behaviour ALOT and it stopped him smelling so bad when he had sprayed :oops: plus i dont really fancy the chances of him getting testicular cancer.
On the other hand my other boy Fletcher is fixed and hes still a little tinker and still quite terrotorial and is prone to biting your back or legs if you dare get in his way!!
My 2 girls arent done but purely because my vet had trouble bringing my rainbow girl Piper round her after her spay - and one of my girls is her daughter so im a little reluctant to put them through a spay. Ive got to add though Phoebes neuter (hes a boy) was a walk in the park compared to Pipers. I found Phoebe healed alot quicker too.

That was with Woods, I must admit the nurse that I saw that time wasnt as good as the lad I saw last time. Rimmi was well behaved for his myxi jab but this lass hesitated and then he got all flustered and I was very worried!

I dont think they even stock the Cylap.

I was told it would cost £70 to have Rimmi done.... he has already 'dropped' as it were, and I am not dissing him in anyway..... but they are dreadfully small!! The nurse I saw the second time that gave the VHD jab said its best to wait 6 months or more.

Never know, it might be an early Christmas present for him, :lol: !!

He does have a caring mummy.... I just want to do everything right, hes brought me so much joy and love that I want to do the same for him :love::love: even though hes a little lad:bunny:

Was this with Woods? They gave our buns the Lapinject and didn't suggest Cylap luckily but it could be different vet nurses as we tend to have different ones everytime we go in :lol:

If it is then Jason is a great vet and speyed Spice at about 4/5 months, they actually do it cheaper if they're under 6 months old. Spice must have only been about 700g and he was confident to spey a bunny so small :D I always presumed once a boy bunny has erm 'dropped' :oops: he was old enough to neuter, but all our boys are from rescue and were already done so I wouldn't take my word on it :oops: :lol:

Hope Mr. Rimmi knows how lucky he is to have such a caring mummy :D :love:

I think the choice is completely up to you! If he's showing no adverse behaviour then there is no reason for him to be done now. Is your vet bunny-savvy? Most bunny-savvy vets will neuter boys as soon as their testicles descend...size doesn't matter. Ted was done at 12 weeks so he never had a surge of hormones...and therefore his personality stayed very sweet natured. It really depends on the bun. You say you don't want his personality to change, but he is 13 weeks old. That means that if you leave him un-neutered then it is VERY likely that he will change. Are the other two bunnies in your signature living on the same premises? This will cause him to become dominant because of the smell of the other bunnies and he might spray or become aggressive. If you'd rather wait and see then do, but It's quite unlikely that something will go wrong.

Let us know what you decide!

That was with Woods, I must admit the nurse that I saw that time wasnt as good as the lad I saw last time. Rimmi was well behaved for his myxi jab but this lass hesitated and then he got all flustered and I was very worried!

I dont think they even stock the Cylap.

I was told it would cost £70 to have Rimmi done.... he has already 'dropped' as it were, and I am not dissing him in anyway..... but they are dreadfully small!! The nurse I saw the second time that gave the VHD jab said its best to wait 6 months or more.

Never know, it might be an early Christmas present for him, :lol: !!

He does have a caring mummy.... I just want to do everything right, hes brought me so much joy and love that I want to do the same for him :love::love: even though hes a little lad:bunny:

hehe I've only ever seen one entire buck nether-regions :oops: and his were quite, errm, obvious! I am sure someone here with more experience with these male areas :)oops:) will know more about their size :lol:

£70 seems quite alot for a neuter when I think Spice's spey was about £60-70, but prices could of gone up or my memory is could easily be failing me :lol: You could always ring up to check any prices :) Either way Jason is fab and I would definatly recommend him :D.

I know our uni (Petsbarn Animal Hospital at Hartpury) are cheaper I think as we had one of the rabbits done there due to Woods was so expensive with her being over the 6 months.

When I searched for Petsbarn website this hospital in Cheltenham came up but I've never been there so no idea if its any good http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/arvonia/home.html :wave:

Yeah, I think I may call them up when my Student Load comes through and go in then... I will get it done at Woods though, because they're bunny savvy, despite their costs I would rather not take any risks.

And Teddys_mummy, the only bun still alive on my sig, Tessy, lives with my mum. There arent any other buns at my house at the moment.

Many thanks!!

hehe I've only ever seen one entire buck nether-regions :oops: and his were quite, errm, obvious! I am sure someone here with more experience with these male areas :)oops:) will know more about their size :lol:

£70 seems quite alot for a neuter when I think Spice's spey was about £60-70, but prices could of gone up or my memory is could easily be failing me :lol: You could always ring up to check any prices :) Either way Jason is fab and I would definatly recommend him :D.

I know our uni (Petsbarn Animal Hospital at Hartpury) are cheaper I think as we had one of the rabbits done there due to Woods was so expensive with her being over the 6 months.

When I searched for Petsbarn website this hospital in Cheltenham came up but I've never been there so no idea if its any good http://www.merialvetsite.com/sites/arvonia/home.html :wave:

Is that normal for a vet nurse to do the vacinations then? At my vets it's always the vet who does it and they always give the rabbits a thorough check up. It normally takes about 15 minutes and costs £35 for the pair which does seem extortionate when you think that they have to pay for the vacs, the vets time and the business overheads including the two gossiping receptionists ;)

My vets always use Lapinject as they reckon Cylap can be dodgy. Apparently Lapinject comes in a bottle with enough doses for 3 rabbits and if only one rabbit comes in that day they have to throw the other 2 doses out as it doesn't keep once open.

Yeah, thats true, which is why my vac was £19, would have been cheaper if I had another two buns with me I bet :s

Oh well

At least they throw it away and dont keep it anyways to save money, eh?

The things we do for our buns health!! :D

Vet nurses/vet I think its probably as there female I'm calling them all nurses :oops:

I think its 4 buns per bottle as we get a discount now were bringing in 4 in all together :wave: nt 100% on it either though :oops:

Sounds like a good choice, I took my bun to Woods and was very happy (despite the fact she was a madam and wouldn't eat so had to be kept in :no:) The overnight stay was all free which I was impressed with :D

Good that the over night stay was free, that can cost a bomb.... just waiting for the student loan to roll in and then make a review lol :p

Plus, if hes staying at yours over Christmas, it would probably be best if he was done by then... wouldnt want him to 'all of a sudden' have a rush of hormones and be a terror!!

:D

Good that the over night stay was free, that can cost a bomb.... just waiting for the student loan to roll in and then make a review lol :p

Plus, if hes staying at yours over Christmas, it would probably be best if he was done by then... wouldnt want him to 'all of a sudden' have a rush of hormones and be a terror!!

:D

He could be one of those humps-everything-that-moves kinda buns ;) my ankles would never be safe :shock::lol:

Ha ha ha, never know...!

At the moment he is clambering all over me and my OH.... enjoying a nice bit of exercise before bed... well.... hes actually just mobbing me.... he wants his supper lol (I give him a lil bit of veg when me and my OH go to bed and we put him in his 'bedroom')

LOL

He could be one of those humps-everything-that-moves kinda buns ;) my ankles would never be safe :shock::lol:

He tries his best!

He keep hopping all over us.... licking my hand and 'nudging' me... he know what makes mummy crumble! LOL

Anyways... the boy has won and we're off to sort his supper and go to bed!!

Night all!

Back