• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleo - discharge from eye :(

Hi everyone,

So the vets have taken another culture and in the meantime she has been prescribed some eyedrops Exocilin - i think they are called.

They also said her teeth are a bit spikey so she's going to have a dental on Tuesday to file them down and whilst she is under they are going to do a skull x-ray to see if is tooth roots pushing up into the tear duct or if there is some other issue with the tear duct.

Likely to be an expensive visit and fingers crossed she is ok with the GA and I really hope it isn't the tooth roots as I'm not sure where we would go from there.

Given the spikes molar crowns I was going to suggest tooth root elongation as a possible primary cause of the recurrence of the eye problems. Hope all goes well for her.

So vets have called today, the culture test taken from the discharge from her eye has come back negative and that's the second one that's been done so it is looking more likely than not to be her teeth :(

the eyedrops have been helping though we have noticed there seems to be more discharge before we go to bed which is after she's been fed /eaten her nuggets so that does make me wonder if is is the teeth.

The teeth are being burred tomorrow (Tuesday) and vets will likely also do an x-ray to see if there is an issue with the roots. I really hope that it is just the spikes on her teeth and once those are burred down all will be well, though future dentals might be needed as I'm not what will happen if its a tooth root problem.

I'd also like to ask for lots of vibes for her tomorrow as the last time one of buns had a GA they passed away when they were being brought around so I am absolutely terrified and anxious and after everything we have been through the last year I really need her to make it through.

You are going through really difficult things. Allah help you. I send too many vibrations for Cleo. Xxxxxxxx

Thank you for the vibes - I will post tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. Likely I'm going to be a nervous wreck and I don't really want a call from the vest if that makes sense!

Thank you everyone.

Vet called a little while ago to say the dental went well and she came round from the GA without any issues which is a big relief :)

Nothing has shown up on the X-ray in terms of the tooth roots and the vet has said for a 9 year old rabbit her teeth are in really good shape but it may be as she gets older she will need more burrs.

The vet is pleased that they burred her teeth now rather than waiting as they were quite spikey and it is hoped that by doing this and continuing with the eye drops this will stop the discharge - as two cultures have come back negative it is very unlikely it is an infection.

They did also flush her eye/tear duct so hopefully we won't have any more discharge over the next couple of weeks.

We are picking her up at 430pm. Not sure if they will give us loxicom as we already have a bottle in the house for Sparky and we know the appropriate dosages. Our house is a bunny pharmacy :lol:

Thank you for all of the vibes, really appreciate it.

I am glad cleo did well with ga and tooth roots looked good. Sending vibes the burr and flush settle her eye issue. Does she have drops/meds for inflammation too?

Thanks everyone.

She's still a little reluctant with her nuggets - she's had some and is chewing on hay and dandelions as well as pooping.

All bunnies we've had have tended to go for their nuggets last / after everything else and she is on loxicom twice a day at 0.7ml for the next couple of days.

Hopefully her eating will return to normal over the next couple of days. You could crush the nuggets up into crumbs, she might eat them like that. Not many Rabbits like them soaked in boiled water to soften them, but you could try her with some of that too.

Back