• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

change in behaviour/biting

Gem 333

Warren Scout
Hello,

Im looking for some advice. I have a female spayed rabbit Shakeira, and it took me 7ish months to get her bonded with Dylon, and once they were, it was just so lovely!! Unfortunately, around a month into the bonding, Dylon died (we think from some sort of liver disease). It was heartbreaking, and for a few nights I slept in Shakeira's room with her for company, and she spent the night on the bed with me (yes, she is a rabbit!!) She has always been very affectionate with me, lots of licks etc.

However, after seeing her with another bunny, it was not fair to have her as an only bun, as she cant be free range as she has developed a TERRIBLE chewing habbit, ruined much of the house!:oops:

so, we got Tricker, a neutered boy who had been in rescue for over a year (poor thing!). Did not realise how nervous he was till we got him home, hes only just getting used to me after 2 months, but hes still very jumpy.

They live in the same room, so can see each other all of the time, and they have been together a couple of times, and I know she would just love to snuggle down with him, but he goes straight to bite her back end (she pretty much ignores him!)

Shakeira now is not as affectionate with me, nips me quite a bit, mainly if I sit in the room with her...though if i persist with the head rubs i will eventually get a couple of licks.

What can i do?? they have such different personalities, i dont know if they will bond.....and Shakeira is not as friendly with me since he has arrived........bunnies....they drive you nuts!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about Dylon.

When you talk about Tricker, what you are describing sounds normal. Nipping is an ok and normal part of bunny behaviour. The fact that Shakeira ignores it is the important thing, because she isn't troubled by it. You may just have to put them together and go for it. If you don't feel able, then maybe see if there is a rescue who would bond for a donation?

Yes it was hard losing Dylon, he was sooo friendly from the word go (makes me wonder what poor Tricker went through before rescue).

And I gathered it was normal behaviour from the buns, but I just worry that he will hurt her, as he is bigger than her.

It may be a case of neutral territory and someone else doing this for me - Im a nervous wreck! Was lucky with Dylon and Shakeira really, just kept doing longer and longer dates, then just left them when I went outside for a bit, came in and they were snuggled up!

I will look into it further! thanks

Back