• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnys who have had teeth removed

I've got 3 buns who've had their incisors removed.
As Jay said, there is the chance of one/some growing back - this happened to Mary but he had it removed at the same time as having work on molar spurs, which they had to do under anaesthetic, and it hasn't grown back since.
All cope extremely well. They manage SS pellets fine so I use this as a guide for the size to chop their 'solid' veg to - things like carrot, brocolli, etc., but the leafy stuff like carrot tops, curly kale, etc. I try to leave as large as possible as I think it really helps with their back teeth - if incisor problems are caused by the jaw not aligning then it's likely that the molars will be out of line too and have problems, so I try to encourage mine to wear them down as much as possible, with lots of leafy veg and hay. Since changing to this diet Mary went from going to the vet every 2-3 months with molar problems to having a gap of 8 months before problems cropped up - and even then it was smaller than before and could be done without anaesthetic, and he hadn't lost his appetite or gone into statis like previous times.
I definately think that if it's going to be an ongoing problem, and if the rabbit is fit for the operation, it should be done. Mary was at the vet every week needing his burred down and it can't be a nice experience, plus mallocluded teeth are supposedly useless anyway - I know Mary would never use his to grab the hay or chomp on veg even after having them burred down.

Back