• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny won't take medicine after spaying, ideas?

Firstly, sorry if this has been asked before, I'm new to the site and still working it out..

I got my bunny Pancake spayed/microchipped yesterday and she was doing really good right last night, although she didn't come out of her carrier for about 3 hours after we got home, just sat in there with a bandage on her ear, huddled up and looking really sad, so horrible :(
When i picked her up the vet nurse said she had eaten a bit of hay and she's been nibbling hay on and off all yesterday evening (after she came out of her carrier anyway) and all of today she's been nibbling but it's not been as much as yesterday evening (which was still hardly any compared to her usual self served portions but it's something). She also had some kale last night and she's done quite a lot of poos and pees, although her poo is quite soft and sticky rather than proper bunny currants, is that normal after an op? I haven't actually seen her drink anything once since yesterday morning but I'm presuming she has had some water if she's been peeing??

She was meant to have her metacam and zantac this morning, managed to give her most of the zantac (about .4mls out of the .5mls) but she just refused to the metacam completely. I think I managed to get about .1ml into her mouth after about half an hour of offering, coaxing, tricking (I put a drop on a piece of hay as that's still the only thing she wants at the moment but it didn't work), and gentle pinning down and attempted force feeding which was stressful for both of us and completely futile anyway.

I had her in my bedroom all of last night in a big cardboard blanket lined box with her little cat bed thing and she slept (i think) all night and she was more alert/ slightly happier looking this morning. She's been back in her hutch with a hot water bottle under her bed for the last few hours since about 2pm-ish as i needed to do some laundry/hoovering and didn't wanna make loads of noise around her. (the hot water bottle was the only thing she's showed any excitement/interest about as it's in the shape of a penguin and she loves it but i don't normally let her have it what with her munchy little teeth! She sniffed it and settled straight down looking happier than she has looked since yesterday morning before i took her to the vets. Don't think she could believe her luck when i gave it to her to have in HER hutch, in HER bed, AND it was warm :) )

But i just went to go check on her and she's now hunched all up in her bed looking really sad and tense, i offered her some water, "no", some hay, "no", some pellets, "no", kale, locust husks, carrot, "no, no, no", then i went to stroke her ears which she's let me do since she came home yesterday, and instead of closing her eyes and nestling down which is what she's been doing all day when i do that she growled at me! She's never done that before except when she's playing and she gets all over excited and makes this funny little growly sound. But this was a proper "leave me alone" sound so i did.

I feel really worried, i don't know how to get her to take her painkillers and she's obviously really sore, as she's been really dopey but still affectionate and wanting to sit close and be stroked but I think that was before her medicine wore off.

I got a glimpse of her wound this morning, it does look quite red where the actual wound is but dry and closed and no redness around the area so I think it's ok. Just wanted some advice if anyone has any on how to make her take her metacam. I've syringe fed her before when she was little and hurt her leg but that was easier because all she wanted was to be cuddled and so it was easy, I'm really scared of picking her up at the moment in case i hurt her/open it up.

Thought i'd see if anyone has any ideas, really don't want to force feed her if I can help it, we both hate it!

Try not to worry too much as I think you will find she will be feeling much better tomorrow and more interested in eating. All she wants now is to be quiet and recover.

What did the vet say about pain relief-metacam? What dose and how often and what has she had?

She's given me a couple of days worth of metacam, wasn't really told when to stop giving it to her only that it's 0.5ml once a day and she said to give it to her "tomorrow morning", ie this morning.
Pancake had most of her zantac dose (also 0.5ml but 2 times a day) this morning but just totally refused the metacam.

Wish I could just explain to her that it'll make her feel better even if she doesn't think it tastes very nice :(

About to go try and give her the 2nd zantac of the day now. Rang the vets and spoke to them about the metacam and they said I can try and give her the rest of her metacam dose now if she will take it.

I'm not too worried about her eating, as she is willingly eating a little bit already so I know she'll be ok, I just don't want her to be in pain in the meantime when I have stuff that would make her feel better if I could only convince her to have it!

I'm not a vet but I think the Zantac put her off the metacam. Zantac is very bitter and yuck for buns. Metacam tastes nice-never met a bun who doesn't like it. You can put it in banana if she likes that, but if I was in this situation I'd syringe it. Wrap her in a towel and just give her the remaining dose that wasn't given earlier. On the side of other mouth there's a gap, put the syringe there and slowly give the dose. Hold her upright as best you can as she could choke if she's lying down. If you're confident and hold her securely she'll be much better I'm sure.

If you can't then I'd think you should pop to the vets in the am and ask them to do it. But you did the hard bit-the Zantac. Metacam does taste okay-it's quite sweet. Once she realise is not zantac I think she'll be OK. If you manage, give her half an hour or so and give her some veggies. The pain relief will have kicked in and hopefully she'll eat a bit more.

While you do this can you touch her ears and see if they're warm or cold. They should be warmish-not cold.

Good luck.

hmm can understand why you are so worried, maybe she needs to go back to the vets because she doesn't seem to be doing as well as I'd expect. Dipsy has been spayed today and has got Septril twice a day for the next 5 days till she goes back to vets for check up on tuesday. Has been dozing off a little more than usual but is eating/drinking, and has been racing round way too much, doesn't seem to realise anything has been done at all. Took me an hour to get her back into her indoor cage, and had to bite my tongue lol and keep reminding myself to be super nice because of op grrrrrrr

She is a nightmare with any meds but vet showed me how to go in at the side with a 1ml syringe. Have you tried that? Even Dipsy can't do anything but take that. There is like a gap right near the back of their mouth, and I get someone to hold Dipsy, so I have got one hand on her head to keep it still, but also because she loves having her head stroked so much she doesn't actually realise she has had any meds until they are already in her. I make a big thing out of stroking her head, and then very quickly, slide the syringe quite a way into gap at the side, and immediately, no messing about, just depress it and it is gone.

She is a nightmare with any meds but vet showed me how to go in at the side with a 1ml syringe. Have you tried that? Even Dipsy can't do anything but take that. There is like a gap right near the back of their mouth, and I get someone to hold Dipsy, so I have got one hand on her head to keep it still, but also because she loves having her head stroked so much she doesn't actually realise she has had any meds until they are already in her. I make a big thing out of stroking her head, and then very quickly, slide the syringe quite a way into gap at the side, and immediately, no messing about, just depress it and it is gone.

Just a reminder that if the rabbit does not swallow they can breathe in meds which can cause pneumonia. I wouldn't advise rapid dispensing of liquids because of that in a rabbit that is resisting dosing.
From here: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00..._TechniquesRabbit/Oral_medication_rabbits.htm
Gently introduce the syringe into the mouth behind the incisor teeth (i.e. in the diasterma between the incisors and the cheek teeth) directing the nozzle towards the back of the mouth. (B601.2.w2, B615.6.w6, J529.37.w1)
The rabbit will start to "gum" the syringe once it is in the mouth. (J529.37.w1)
Turn the syringe a little so it is more in line with the tongue. (J529.37.w1)
Push the syringe into the mouth a little way - to the 0.2-0.3 mL mark for small rabbits, 0.4 mL mark for larger rabbits (1 mL syringe). (J529.37.w1)
Keep the rabbit's head parallel with the ground to reduce the risk of the rabbit aspirating the liquid into the respiratory tract (this is more likely to occur if the rabbit's head is elevated) (B601.2.w2, B615.6.w6)
Initially push the plunger to deliver a small amount (about 0.2 mL) of food into the mouth; if the rabbit chews and swallows, give more. (J529.37.w1)
Only administer small amounts of liquid at a time (0.5 to 3 mL depending on the size of the rabbit; 3 mL may be used in a rabbit that is 4 kg or larger) and then wait until the animal swallows before administering any more. (B601.2.w2, B615.6.w6)
Keep assessing the rabbit's chewing and respiratory rate/effort to ensure it is swallowing, not aspirating. (J529.37.w1)
If the rabbit doesn't chew, move the syringe back and forward in the mouth quickly to stimulate gumming and chewing.
Note: do not rush this procedure. If the rabbit will not swallow the liquid then an alternative method of administration must be considered. (B601.2.w2)

Last edited:
Just a reminder that if the rabbit does not swallow they can breathe in meds which can cause pneumonia. I wouldn't advise rapid dispensing of liquids because of that in a rabbit that is resisting dosing.
From here: http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00..._TechniquesRabbit/Oral_medication_rabbits.htm
Gently introduce the syringe into the mouth behind the incisor teeth (i.e. in the diasterma between the incisors and the cheek teeth) directing the nozzle towards the back of the mouth. (B601.2.w2, B615.6.w6, J529.37.w1)
The rabbit will start to "gum" the syringe once it is in the mouth. (J529.37.w1)
Push the syringe into the mouth a little way - to the 0.2-0.3 mL mark for small rabbits, 0.4 mL mark for larger rabbits (1 mL syringe). (J529.37.w1)
Keep the rabbit's head parallel with the ground to reduce the risk of the rabbit aspirating the liquid into the respiratory tract (this is more likely to occur if the rabbit's head is elevated) (B601.2.w2, B615.6.w6)
Initially push the plunger to deliver a small amount (about 0.2 mL) of food into the mouth; if the rabbit chews and swallows, give more. (J529.37.w1)
Only administer small amounts of liquid at a time (0.5 to 3 mL depending on the size of the rabbit; 3 mL may be used in a rabbit that is 4 kg or larger) and then wait until the animal swallows before administering any more. (B601.2.w2, B615.6.w6)
Keep assessing the rabbit's chewing and respiratory rate/effort to ensure it is swallowing, not aspirating. (J529.37.w1)
If the rabbit doesn't chew, move the syringe back and forward in the mouth quickly to stimulate gumming and chewing.
Note: do not rush this procedure. If the rabbit will not swallow the liquid then an alternative method of administration must be considered. (B601.2.w2)

Absolutely. A bit at a time. Milly has meds syringed twice daily and I do a couple of drops then she leans in against my chest to swallow. Then a few more drops and swallow. I sit down with my knees bent up and lean her against my knees. If I do the 'baby' position she bites me really hard-blood etc! I honestly think the Zantac is the problem. It tastes so bitter and would have put her off the metacam. If I have a 'yuck' med and a nice med I mix them. If small amounts can mix with apple juice but I find it just means even more fluid to get down them!

Hi, I use shreedies, I put a couple of mls of the medication on one and they eat it providing they dont leave it to go soggy, so it may take 2 or 3 shreedies to get the right amount of meds on but it works for us.

Good luck

Grrr they can be so annoying about taking their meds can't they...

Bread is a good suggestion... it worked on mine for a bit then they changed their minds!!

I now mush up some apple with dried comfry and coltsfoot with the medecine. They want to eat the apple and herbs so much that they have to eat the meds, because they're all stuck together :)

Absolutely, but was just meaning to not hang about and give her the opportunity to spit it out. I've never had a problem in 16 yrs, the only thing I would say, is it is very high risk of aspirating if you turn bunny onto back, and then of respiratory problems. It's not about rushing, but don't hang about and miss the opportunity to get much needed meds into bun.

Thanks for this, I'm struggling to give my bunny Amber her antibiotics for her suspected respiratory infection and this has given me some ideas of how to give it to her. Her sister Bella gets excited on just seeing the syringe but Amber's the opposite unfortunately.

Thanks for this, I'm struggling to give my bunny Amber her antibiotics for her suspected respiratory infection and this has given me some ideas of how to give it to her. Her sister Bella gets excited on just seeing the syringe but Amber's the opposite unfortunately.

Hope it helps, our boy won't tolerate syringing so I usually end up with mini shredded wheat.

I agree about the Metacam. Donny used to love it, and yes in the side of the mouth and gently feeding it bit by bit worked for me. It was Baytril he hated so I used to have to give injections instead.:roll:

Back