• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Routine - What's yours?

youll never poop train them i think its a territory thing Alvin has an amazing knack of poop scattering as he jumps from the litter tray. something special to watch if you have a stasis bunny :love::love:, just pee can be trained, but even then theres accidents.. you will get used to picking up the poops tho :lol::lol: or invest in a handheld hoover if you dont want to touch bunny poops....

Not touch them!! Dont say that! How will she be a tru RUer if she doesn't squish at least 1 bunny poop per day!!! ;)

(Look out for large golden poo!!! Take a picture and post in on the forum - then see how many replies you get!!) :D

Not touch them!! Dont say that! How will she be a tru RUer if she doesn't squish at least 1 bunny poop per day!!! ;)

(Look out for large golden poo!!! Take a picture and post in on the forum - then see how many replies you get!!) :D

shes new i was breaking her into bunny ownership gently.. i started with a vac :lol::lol::lol: now i even touch special poops its quicker than using newspaper to grab them :oops::oops::oops::oops:

i DO wash my hands after

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sooo true. I have to touch Waffle's poop check if there fresh if they are warm and squeeze them to check fibre content. :oops::oops:

I don't do it to Radish's poops though.

shes new i was breaking her into bunny ownership gently.. i started with a vac :lol::lol::lol: now i even touch special poops its quicker than using newspaper to grab them :oops::oops::oops::oops:

i DO wash my hands after

Where I worked last year I used to clean out all the rabbit sheds in my lunch break (no-one else touched them :() and I used to take my lunch in with me and eat as I cleaned.....what's hygiene :?

Our routine:

Morning: Open the baby gate and get bowled over by two mad rabbits! :lol:

...... let them have a crazy few minutes running like absolute maniacs from one room to another ..... if I'm still in bed I usually get jumped on by Jack at least once! :p

Lots of noserubs are usually demanded once they have run off their morning nuttiness!!

Jack and Hollie then usually have a nom of the seagrass waste paper basket in our bedroom... :roll:... then I do a 'hello' to all the animals, the guinea pigs get fed their morning veggies and the bunnies get a leaf of something or other each.

I clean their litter tray out every morning and refill with fresh hay (they usually leap in the litter tray when I put the hay in and I have to move the litter tray with two rabbits in it 'cos they are far too busy scoffing to co-operate with mummeh!) I refill their water dish and bottle - the water dish is a fairly recent addition but they much prefer to the bottle - it's a large earthenware dog bowl. If there's time (work morning's are a bit of a rush!) I sweep round the pet room and tidy up.

Afternoon: If I'm in I'll pop in to the pet room and give them some fuss every now and then but they spend a lot of this time flopped out, snuggled up and grooming and sleeping lol.

Evening / Teatime: - between 5pm and 6pm-ish They usually get a run around when we get in from work for an hour or so. It's .... veggie feeding time ..... which is very important to Jack and Hollie lol. They love, love, love their veggies. ;)

Lots of noserubs and fuss are only allowed to be given after they've eaten their veggies. They are far too hyped up before and usually dancing round on their back legs like puppies!

Bedtime - 10pm-ish - Pellets are fed when we go upstairs to bed. All the animals get lots of attention at this time - water bottles / dishes get refilled, hay gets replenished if necessary and any random poos get swept up. The buns' usually have a bomb around like mad things then have some fuss and noserubs and they always have a treat each when they get shut in the pet room at 'sleep time'.

Sometimes I put treats in their treat ball for overnight too.

Last edited:
8am - out in the attached run, pellets in bowl, fresh hay and water.
8.45 am - back in hutch whilst kids go to school.
9.15 am - 3.45 out in the run. They go back in hutch when I go out during the day.
8pm - pellets, veg.
9.30pm - back in hutch.

I have to do their litter trays today so I thought I'd just write down what I do then...

Fill new litter trays with 2-3 scoops of Megazorb and cover with a couple of large handfuls of hay. Put lids on (underbed storage boxes).

Bring both fresh trays upstairs. I always do the lionheads first. So I put their box in the room, take the lid off so they can eat that while I sort out their cage.

Remove old box. Brush vetbed, shake out their shirt they have to lay on. 'Sweep' enclosure with a paint scraper and dustpan. Empty hay rack and refill. Sometimes I'll wash out their bowls and the tray the bowls stand on.

Put new box back in, usually with bunns still inside. :lol:

Empty the corner litter tray into the dirty box and refill.

Then the lops. Put new box in room and take off lid. Remove old box. 'Sweep' their base. Put in new box.

Then every so often I'll hoover the floor. I try to do this as little as possible and just use a dustpan and brush on the worst bits.

6.30am- All bunnies fed and watered (pellets, hay top up and water). Any mess from over night swept up with the indoor buns.

4pm- Let Strawberry out to free range the garden. Change all litter trays and sweep out Strawbs wendy house.

5.30pm- give veggies to bunnies and hay top up

7pm- Put Strawberry away and let Bungle free range the garden.

11pm- Buns have pellets, fresh water and hay top up if needed.

At weekends we also let Snowdrop free range on the garden.

9am (ish) go and feed the bunnys thier pellets and hay
between 10/11 put the bunnys in the run or conservatoy depending on the weather - give them panacur (just this week)- bum check
12/1 give them what ever veg they are getting
during the day - sit with them and pluck loose fur and do bumcheck
about 8/9pm put them back into the hutch and give them more hay and if theres pealings from dinner give them to bunnys :)

6 am veggie time and give them more treat hay and check bums and open up the playhouse so they can go in the run bit.

5:45 change all litter and replace hay.

6:30 pellet time and check bums again.

7:30 treat time and treat hay time.

Once weekly full clean out, hoover and white vinegar the trays and milton clean dishes and floors. Wash fleeces, vetbed and covers.

Warm evenings and weekends. Rotate bunnies either in one big run or have them all out in three smaller runs.

Thanks everyone, this is reeeeaaallly helpful.

What are we checking bums for? Flystrike? If so, what am I looking for exactly? And if not, what am I looking for anyway? lol

I've checked their bums today and they look ok but as I don't really know what I'm looking for ........! :? :oops: :?

Jo x

I don't have a fixed routine because of work. But they are all fed before 8am each morning with their pellets.

Then tea time is 7pm onwards.

Obviously they have lots of tasty hay to nom on throughout. Free range time is given around my working hours.

6.30 get woken by grace jumping on me :D
Come down clean litter trays
Buns have a half hour scoot on the grass
Breakfast is served!
back out in the garden (weather permitting)
Clean out charlies hutch and graces dog grate and clean
empty and wash water bottles and bowls
about 5pm lunch is served
back out in the garden if they so wish
in at 8pm for lots of loves and cuddles

They are not happy with me today cos they only just got their dinner 10 minute ago. :shock: Naughty mummy. In my defence I didn't think I was going to be out this late. :shock:

Thanks everyone, this is reeeeaaallly helpful.

What are we checking bums for? Flystrike? If so, what am I looking for exactly? And if not, what am I looking for anyway? lol

I've checked their bums today and they look ok but as I don't really know what I'm looking for ........! :? :oops: :?

Jo x

We check da bums for teeny weeny fly eggs or worse little maggots. If you find either it's STRAIGHT to the vet!!! I say 'we' loosely. I can't as I have two slippery bunnies when it comes to being manhandled!! I sniff their butts! Yes you read it right! I sniff to make sure they are clean and I feel their bums too to make sure there's no poo stuck there that would attract flies. It's all I can do. And also keep their place scrupulously clean. On the pee and poo in litter tray thing. I just shovelled their soiled stuff into a litter tray and left it in the same corner they had chosen for a toilet. At one point I had two litter trays as they couldnt decide between themselves where to go! Got it down to one in the shed now.:D As for poop, it flies out of them in all directions wherever they hop. I just sweep that up every morning!! :lol:

7am open up the hutches and runs and give fresh hay and veggies, fresh water, check weather forecast for rain or sun and cover/shade accordingly :lol:

3.30pm back from work so check bunnies and hand feed a few bits from garden to check all are eating ok. If weather nice I sit in garden with bunnies on the lawn in the grass run (they alternate daily)

At this time I clean out the runs/hutches on alternate days.

6pm top up hay litter trays and give fresh veggies and/or pellets, fresh water.

10pm cover over the runs with plastic and tarpaulines for the night.

Charlee and the guinea pigs all live in my room, so it is always an interesting household!

7am - get woken up by impatient Charlee pulling on the bars of her cage. Stumble out of bed and let her out.

8am - pop in to say goodbye, refresh hay, make sure everyone has water and dish out morning veggies

4pm - come home and go say hello to all the furries. Charlee is usually having her afternoon nap, she becomes more active in the evenings

6pm - go into the room, Charlee usually comes racing out to say hello. She then proceeds to run in circles around my feet and tries to trip me up. I settle her down with a treat, give her a cuddle (head rub etc) and she is off playing again. When she has energy she never stops! I then give everyone their daily rations of pellets. Charlee loves this bit, and tries to steal pellets out of the tubs.

8pm - nightly veggies, clean out litter trays (and sweep up the stray poops in the piggies cages), make sure that everyone has plenty of hay etc.

10pm - Charlee knows it's time for bed and goes and hides. Coax her out with a bunny biscuit. She is seriously addicted to these biscuits, so she will follow the biscuit back into her cage! :lol: Reward her, lock up the cage. Make sure everyone has fleecys if it is a cold night (we are heading into winter). Lights out and off to bed.

Sundays the routine is slightly different. Charlee goes back into her cage for a couple of hours in the afternoon (which she doesn't really mind, she just snoozes). That way I can clean all of the cages without her trying to dig through the garbage bag or the dirty washing or get under my feet! Cleaning the cages involves changing all the fleece & towels and replacing with fresh fleece & towels. Charlee is litter trained, but I still replace her fleece just to keep everything fresh etc. All the litter trays get completely emptied and replaced with fresh litter. Wash all fleece, towels and saks/cuddle cups. Also the time when I do the weekly check ups - so I weigh all of the guinea pigs, clip their toe nails. Charlee gets a similar check up except I save her the torture of being weighed (I weigh her once a month instead). Vacuum up the floors and Charlee gets to come back out again!

My buns rule my life

05:30 let Munch & Pip out for an hour while I clean their cage, which consists of brushing & wiping down their floor, cleaning their litter tray, giving fresh hay & grass. Pellets A&P at 06:30.

06:30 let Lucky & Pumpkin out, then repeat cleaning routine as above. Fresh hay & grass then pellets at 07:30

07:30 let Rosie & Teddy out & repeat as above

Normally one of my kids are home so buns get out during the day

I get home between 4 & 5pm & it all starts again though buns are also given Burns Green Oat Hay as well as the usaul Dust Free Stalky. Buns are rotated so that they all get around 3 hours free range time & I seem to be constantly cleaning.

All buns apart from Munch get "brushed" with a rubber glove twice a day. Munch has very long fur & has to be brushed in the traditional way, all bums are checked & all buns object, though a treat helps them forget the indignity :lol:

Veggies are prepared normally an hour or more before I go to bed so that theyre at room temperature. They all get their veggies last thing at night between 11pm & 12 normally a mix of parsnips, spring greens, savoy, carrots & a sprout each. Finally exhausted I fall into bed.

Last edited:
Back