• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Neglect - I want to use your photos.

No, I have never posted about the conditions of that particular rescue because they are far too distressing, 3 netherland dwarf males were living in that carrier, there was a 4 foot hutch with 5 netherland dwarfs in both male and female, none of them were neutered, the females kept giving birth and because of the conditions none of the babies survived and when we emptied the thick debris in the bottom it was horrific, I don't think I need to say anymore except that there were 3 hutches like that which contained both male and female bunnies, of the rabbits we got out there were 21 pregnancies:evil::evil:

omg that is horrific :shock:

Pet shops SHOULD sell hutches/runs big enough but sadly most of them dont so what chance have these buns got in the hands of complete novices? :cry:

No, I have never posted about the conditions of that particular rescue because they are far too distressing, 3 netherland dwarf males were living in that carrier, there was a 4 foot hutch with 5 netherland dwarfs in both male and female, none of them were neutered, the females kept giving birth and because of the conditions none of the babies survived and when we emptied the thick debris in the bottom it was horrific, I don't think I need to say anymore except that there were 3 hutches like that which contained both male and female bunnies, of the rabbits we got out there were 21 pregnancies:evil::evil:

OH MY GOD thats just horrible. did they all survive and get rehomed etc

I can not belive that three bun's were living in that carrier! I have a carrier like that, that I was given to take my two 'poorly' buns to the vets. My buns are nine weeks old and yesterday when I took them they nearly fill the carrier. I can't imagine the poor bun's living in it. how so very, very sad (and how poor of humans to do this).

Don't know why I'm back here, feel so sad reading these stories :cry:

I look at my Daisy and I just can't imagine how anyone could do this to their beautiful rabbits :cry::cry::cry:

Please folks, we must focus on the positive and that was what I was saying ealier in this thread, we can make a difference for the ones we save but now maybe, just maybe, you can understand why I hate breeders and why some of us rescues get angry and upset when someone else comes on the forum and says they have had yet another accidental litter or worse still they have bred them on purpose.

But, we can make a difference and we must continue trying to educate

:cry: :cry: I've just cried my way through this link and feel so very sad for all those poor neglected bunnies. I don't understand how anyone can treat another living creature like that - it makes me soooooooo mad and really, really sad :evil: . I wish there was something more I could do - I'm going to see if there is, it will help me feel better about those poor, poor little bunnies . . .

I too think pet shops are to blame.. if they sold correct accomodation and gave out decent advice im sure many of these buns would of got some decent care! I remember the state of the hutches when I helped rescue the 14 buns and 4 piggies from a house near me... they were kept in 4 ft hutches 3 or 4 to a hutch with no room to periscope :cry: it breaks my heart that people think this is ok :cry: I belive devoted2buns cleaned out the cage the piggies were kept in and there were things crawling in it :?:cry: I get so angry :censored:

This thread just made me cry :cry:

Last edited:
It's a very sad fact that abuse goes on with bunnies and with all animals :cry: but we all have to concentrate on the positive sides. One of our motto's is "By saving one bun you won't change the world, but you WILL change the world for that one bun" :)

I honestly believe that if pictures and stories of neglect where shown properly then maybe, just maybe the world would be made better for that one bun.

We have had some lovely buns come to us whose owners where distraught as they or their vets could do no more - due to the time it takes to look after the really disabled buns then a lot of the owners couldn't look after them and did the most loving thing that they could, they gave them up to us so that we could continue giving them care and love - and they did live longer than was predicited by the vets - and they didn't have to be put to sleep as some of the vets had said. The buns themselves accepted their disabilities and loved life and being waited on hand and paw :lol: Sometimes that is the saddest part, you know that the owners don't want to part with them as they love them so very much - yet their big hearts let them go even though they are gutted at having to leave them :(

The greatest joy for us is the time that we see any abused bun respond to us in a positive way - to see a bun that has been so badly treated look at you and give you their trust has to be one of the most humbling things:love:

Bud1sml.jpg

One of the rescues posted this little ones picture, not sure which, possibly Ebonyeyes? I sent a donation.

I am sure who ever posted it wouldn't mind it being used to promote animal welfare

Rabswood

Oh my:( No it wasn't us but oh how I would have loved that little one :love:

Some more pics of some of our buns when they arrived :(

Bandit - head tilt due to an inner ear infection left for too long :cry: Owners took him to our local vet to be put to sleep, the vets refused and asked us to take him :love:
Bandit1711305.jpg

Buster - rescued from the same "rescue" as Oscar, Wiggles and Pebby :cry: Really head shy, terrible ear trouble where it had been injured and abscesses around his body:cry:
bhster19305.jpg

buster03.jpg

Billy - eight years old and dumped with Bobby :cry::cry: Thin and mites and so head shy :cry:
billy511202.jpg

Little Fliss - left in a garden or pushchair with no shelter and total disregard to her disabilities :cry: Back legs crossed over, eyes not formed properly, front paws not too good - just left to die :cry:
Flipper.jpg

Jacob - wrong vet treatment left him disabled :cry: Had palsy, mites and abscesses as well as teeth problems:cry:
jacob03.jpg

Some more pics of some of our buns when they arrived :(

Bandit - head tilt due to an inner ear infection left for too long :cry: Owners took him to our local vet to be put to sleep, the vets refused and asked us to take him :love:
Bandit1711305.jpg

Buster - rescued from the same "rescue" as Oscar, Wiggles and Pebby :cry: Really head shy, terrible ear trouble where it had been injured and abscesses around his body:cry:
bhster19305.jpg

buster03.jpg

Billy - eight years old and dumped with Bobby :cry::cry: Thin and mites and so head shy :cry:
billy511202.jpg

Little Fliss - left in a garden or pushchair with no shelter and total disregard to her disabilities :cry: Back legs crossed over, eyes not formed properly, front paws not too good - just left to die :cry:
Flipper.jpg

Jacob - wrong vet treatment left him disabled :cry: Had palsy, mites and abscesses as well as teeth problems:cry:
jacob03.jpg

I'm sure Fliss is my Fizz's sister :( Did she come from B.A.R.C?

Oliver - had to have front leg amputated as an old injury was fine and he was able to use the leg as a crutch, but two new injuries meant he had to lose the leg :censored: Very head shy and nervous :cry:
Oliver21734.jpg

Tansy - from the same place as Oscar, Pebby, Wiggles and Buster :censored: Abscesses, mites, ear troubles and injuries underneath :cry: Full of pasturella :cry:
tatty07.jpg

Timmy-Tickles - stood on or something dropped on him which put his hip out of joint - the pain barrier he had to go through made him brain damaged:cry: Very thin and just dumped at a rescue:cry:
timdec3-1.jpg

Jasper - owned by a family who admitted that he had his leg caught in the door - were not willing to pay out any more for vets so the damage to his leg had already been done :censored: The plaster was left on for too long so his bone set wrong - now suffers with arthritis and has some difficulty with the leg :cry:
Truly1208060287.jpg

Wilbur - rescued from a "rescue" who had him stuck in a tiny shed inside a tiny hutch - he was at the very top of the pile of hutches:censored: No light at all in the shed:censored: His teeth were very bad and he needed emergency work done - also bad on his legs due to no exercise and no light:cry::cry:
Wilbur.jpg

William - undernourished, mites, abscesses and bad teeth, needed his incisors removed urgently :cry:
william04.jpg

Oxo - left to die :censored: He had only a cardboard box for shelter - left like that for months:censored: Rescued by BARC :D along with Fliss :love:
Oxo has crossed back legs and has only some sight in one eye :( the other eye has not formed properly :cry: He's a little sod though:lol::love:
Oxo1-1.jpg

oxo2.jpg

I have seen most of these pictures before :cry: and I am still as shocked by them now as I was when I first saw them :cry: It was these stories that made me stay on this forum and learn as much as I could about rabbit welfare and ways of educating people how to look after their animals properly.

So many of these rabbits stories have really touched me and have stuck in my heart... thankfully a fair few of them had happy endings thanks to the fanatstic people who are members of this forum.

I think the one that upsets me the most is Alysia :cry::cry: It is just so sad that Jane tried so hard to do her best for her but due to the stupid laws of this country :evil: the poor girl was taken away and given back to her evil torturer :evil::evil:

I really have no idea how on earth those of you who take in these poor creatures cope with heartbreak and I take my hat off to each and every one of you :love:

Oxo - left to die :censored: He had only a cardboard box for shelter - left like that for months:censored: Rescued by BARC :D along with Fliss :love:
Oxo has crossed back legs and has only some sight in one eye :( the other eye has not formed properly :cry: He's a little sod though:lol::love:
Oxo1-1.jpg

oxo2.jpg

did oxo survive?

Back