• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny died I can't forgive myself and want to die too 😔

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
My teddy bear has been poorly for weeks. He has been gravely ill for 2 solid weeks barely eating. The last trip to vets he was so scared he had a seizure from them handling him and he needed resuscitation. Since then I have been his nurse 24.7 with drugs and forced feeding. He has lost half his body weight and dying.i was so reluctant to take him back to vets after last time but as he is dying I had no other choice. My worst fears became a reality as soon as nurse held him hard to feel his heartbeat he went mental started screaming and crying it was hell. Then he ran and the nurse accidentally kicked him in the bedlam.the vet came grabbed him by neck from my arms as he was screaming and I never saw him again alive. To say I blame myself is not enough. It was a catch 22. He was so ill he needed a vet yet I knew the vet trip would kill him and it did. I'm.not sure how ill ever ever forgive myself. I wanted a peaceful end to his suffering yet he died in absolute terror as I predicted. Not sure I can move on from this ever

I am sorry that you have had such a traumatic experience :cry: I realise that there are no words that will offer you any comfort at this time :cry:

You are not to blame for your Rabbit’s passing, but I acknowledge that you feel as though you are :(

RIP little Bunny :cry:

I'm so very sorry that you have lost your beloved bunny, and in the circumstances that you describe. Your bunny did sound very poorly, and is at peace now, so I hope you can take some comfort in that, although I understand that might take time. Sweet dreams little one.

What a horrible thing to have to deal with. I'm so sorry that it has happened to you. :cry: You are absolutely not to blame.

It is a no-win situation at times like this. You fought for him for so long, but he just wasn't able to pull through. Mouth breathing is a really poor sign and the rabbit is really struggling - a veterinary surgery is the only place that could offer any hope at that point. There really wasn't any more that you could do. I've had a rabbit scream at home just as it died after a brief illness that it never fully recovered from. It's not something you ever forget.

Have you thought about what happens next? You are grieving, but you could plan for some sort of memorial. I bury my lost pets in a specific part of the garden. Some people bring the ashes home or plant a special shrub in a favourite place in remembrance. There is a Rainbow Bridge memorial thread on here as well. You may have your own ideas.

Just be easy on yourself.
Take care.

Thank you so much. Its the screaming part that will haunt me until I die. I just don't understand it.im broken. Thank you for your kind words all. Ill think what to do with teds ashes. His brother is already lost without him. I cant see a way out of my heartbreak right now x

It is not unusual for a bunny to scream in pain as they take their final breaths as they are dying without assistance.
I heard it myself and it is heartbreaking.
It can be extra difficult to deal with a death after you tried so hard to save him.
This forum has a section called rainbow bridge, so perhaps you can share your happier memories with others as you remember the good times.

Oh Bunnymum I am so so sorry that this has happened.
This sounds so awful :(
I wish I was there to give you a cuddle.
I hope you've got someone with you x

You can only do what you think is best at the time, and you sought additional veterinary care - which no-one can argue with under the circumstances. Many rabbits would not have had any of the prior care that yours had. Hindsight is wonderful, but may not have changed anything in this case. I hope you come to terms with it at some point - today is too soon and feelings are too raw.

Maybe think about posting in Rainbow Bridge. You can put together his life story and some photos of the happy times.

How is his brother doing? He may need you for company while he also comes to terms with being on his own.

His brother is bereft and the vet advised to not let him see his brothers body which I knew was wrong. The vets have failed me big time.i have put a teddy in with him but he's looking distraught and searching the whole hutch for.his brother. My heart feels like it will fall out

We have all dealt with people, even friends and family, that do not understand the bond we have with our bunnies.
The people on this forum know that our bunnies are members of our families.
After losing a bunny many of us blame ourselves for not being able to save our beloved pet. Yet, you took your bunny to the vet then spent two weeks giving him round the clock care. He knows he was loved. Give his brother a lot of attention. You are both grieving.
Sending you hugs.
No one could have done more.

I really hope you and your bunny are doing a little better today, although it's still early days xx

I'm so sorry you lost Teddy & in such awful circumstances :( You really had no choice though, as you & others said. I'm sorry Teddy's brother is struggling, you too. I know a lot of bunny owners show the body to their remaining bun - I don't anymore as the last time I did this my bunny got really poorly with stress, developing EC symptoms within 24 hours. I also worry what associations the bunny will then have with vets. What I'm trying to say is that its not always a good thing, I truly believe they know anyway, especially if bunny has been poorly in their company.

Sweet dreams Teddy xx

Back