• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

breeding :(

hi guys!

just joined today, thought i'd better get some rabbity knowledge down my neck as i'm now in a bit of a pickle!

My mum recently decided she wanted to keep my rabbits, as they were at her house and me and my oh have 2 ponies, 2 guineas and a dog already...also now a baby on the way!!
I couldn't see the harm in it as she loved them and technically they would still be mine, just living at her house :/

WELL....She text me about a week ago saying "YOUR rabbit has had babies!" I was baffled as we have had the male fixed, and mum was supposed to get the female fixed shortly after, I replied "how is that possible?" she phoned me and said "Oh sometimes we let them out and they escape into the woods out the back, but don't worry they come back when they are hungry!"

Uhmm...so my precious bunny gets let out into the woods behind your house and has now had a litter of half wild babies!!??!! needless to say i'm furious, just wanted some advice really about anything I can do to make sure they're healthy..they will be going to the vet for a check up, although mum will have to take them in case they have any diseases when is best to take them to the vet? should I take the mother too? in over my head here!!!!:oops:

First of all, hello and welcome to RU!:wave:

oh wow...:shock::shock::shock: If I was you, I would not let your mum look after your bunnies again!

Have a read of this sticky:http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies it covers up until 8 wks old with some very useful information!

How old are the babies? depending on how old they are, it is advised to wait at least 10 days after birth before cleaning the nest, let alone moving and taking babies to the vets. I would recommend taking Mum too, yes. Was Mum vaccinated at the time? you mentioned diseases, I assume you mean Myxi/VHD?

Make sure Mummy bun has lots and lots of hay as well :D

Thanks guys!!!

I'm kinda having to direct mum from miles away hahah x
They're a week or so old, and told her not to touch them! so what does she go and do? picks one up and feeds it cows milk! :roll:

Soooooo worried about these little babies...they would have more chance surviving out in the wild!!! Mumma's food is on the edge of the nest box and she has lots and lots of soft hay bedding, which goes just outside the door to the nest so she can drag it in/out as she see's fit.

will the vet test for myxomatosis? am scared for them! mummy was vaccinated yes xx

Can't believe this has happened...now instead of two bunnies i'm going to have to accommodate for about 8 of them!! XD and baby is due in only 4 months!

:? :shock:

Cows milk, in no way, is good for baby buns and it could actually be fatal. It really does sound like your buns are better off with you is there any way you can pick them up within the next few days?

I don't think there are any 'medical' tests they can do for Myxi, as far as I am aware, although may be wrong, the only way to tell is if they develop nodules/symptoms. If Mum was vaccinated, although vaccines do not provide 100% immunity, the babies *should* be OK.

Hope you can somehow transfer the bunnies back to you, they really could do with going somewhere where they are not 'at risk' if you like. Sorry if that sounds blunt, i'm not trying to be harsh!

xx

Not at all!!!

Am glad of the advice! lol xx personally I would love to have them asap, but am just very scared to move them whilst they are so young...also If they had any diseases, i'm not too sure I should be in contact with them...being pregnant and all, don't want to harm my baby too!! it's all very frustrating as i can't do much from here :( also I need to purchase another run, which will go outside in the garage for the winter...we have access to electricity out there, do you think I should get a little heat lamp or something? x sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really have no idea about baby bunnies and never thought I would need to! x

Thanks guys!!!

I'm kinda having to direct mum from miles away hahah x
They're a week or so old, and told her not to touch them! so what does she go and do? picks one up and feeds it cows milk! :roll:

Soooooo worried about these little babies...they would have more chance surviving out in the wild!!! Mumma's food is on the edge of the nest box and she has lots and lots of soft hay bedding, which goes just outside the door to the nest so she can drag it in/out as she see's fit.

will the vet test for myxomatosis? am scared for them! mummy was vaccinated yes xx

Can't believe this has happened...now instead of two bunnies i'm going to have to accommodate for about 8 of them!! XD and baby is due in only 4 months!

Is it possible that mum rabbit was let out after she had her first litter? If she's been in contact with a male after giving birth it's very possible she's now pregnant with a second litter.

Mum did say this.....

But has reassured me that she never got out of the garden, I'll believe that when the babies stop coming! I've told her to get the mum fixed asap but to maybe wait until the babies are a bit older before taking her away? also asked her to put a padlock or something on the shed so she can't push the door open...she has put a flowerpot in front of it ¬¬

Yes you'll definately need to wait until the babies are weaned before having the mum spayed. Your mum will also need to ensure she can't get out as mum could become pregnant again and more babies will be the last thing you need. Are the family outside just now? Your mum may need to invest in something to keep them warm if the temperature drops but for now as long as she has plenty of hay then hopefully they'll be ok. In future they really need to be kept secure as a pet rabbit isn't savvy enough to avoid wild predators like foxes.

They are outside, but in the shed so protected from the elements...they have a cover over the cage etc.

If they were here I could make sure they were safe and secure, but not much I can do except tell her :(
very distressing to say the least! x

You MUST stress to your mother certain 'rules' that must not be broken under any circumstances - such as NOT removing babies from the nest, feeding the babies, letting mum out, removing mum from the babies etc all common sense stuff but I'm afraid it looks like your mum isnt making sensible decisions to say the least!

Mum shouldnt be removed from the babies until at least 8 weeks old, and I wouldnt spay her straight away then, I would however remove all rabbits from your Mother's care asap, although perhaps it would be better to wait till the babies are walking about and eating by themselves first - maybe around 4 weeks old? I'd consult a vet about the earliest you could do it.

I'm afraid you've been left in a bit of a sticky situation, as half wildies can often be hard to rehome because they are often flighty, and tend to be agouti, which is an unpopular colour.

The mother and babies should not ideally be moved at present until about 4 weeks (they will still feed from mum until 8 weeks if they can) - however the situation they appear to be in is pretty bad - the hutch/shed does not seem secure and your mother appears to be somewhat wayward in her bunny handling - so much so she is putting them in real danger..

Rabbits cannot transfer diseases to you (technically there is one that people havng radiotherapy can have a very slight chance of catching - but ven then with minimal effect on the human) and so frankly I would retrieve your bunnies and the new babies asap from your mother - regardless of your pregnancy

take the nest with you and all the babies and keep mum and babies together.

Obviously I understand it isn't the ideal situation, But would picking up the whole nest box and driving them down the motorway really be the best Idea?
I mean for the moment mummy bunny is being properly fed and stocked up with hay, so as long as my mum doesn't touch them she should look after them?
I just don't want to disturb the nest and upset the mother to the point where she will just abandon the babies....
May go down there on the weekend with a padlock to make sure they are locked away properly.

If I can't have them re homed then it is not really that big a deal I suppose... I'll just add to my menagerie! anyone who wants a rabbit just because of what color it is won't be having one of mine!

Obviously I understand it isn't the ideal situation, But would picking up the whole nest box and driving them down the motorway really be the best Idea?
I mean for the moment mummy bunny is being properly fed and stocked up with hay, so as long as my mum doesn't touch them she should look after them?
I just don't want to disturb the nest and upset the mother to the point where she will just abandon the babies....
May go down there on the weekend with a padlock to make sure they are locked away properly.

If I can't have them re homed then it is not really that big a deal I suppose... I'll just add to my menagerie! anyone who wants a rabbit just because of what color it is won't be having one of mine!

You cant padlock it as someone needs to be checking the buns twice a day, and giving fresh hay, pellets and water at least every 24 hours. Is there any way you could go visit every day?

The babies ideally should also be checked to make sure they are being fed, but I wouldnt mention this to your mum, as she may get it wrong and feed cows milk... You wouldnt actually see them being fed, it happens at night, and the only sign would be how their tummies appear. In this case it is probably better to not check (unless you will go and do it) in case your mother makes a mistake and decides to feed them herself or take them away from their mother - which obviously could kill them - hand-rearing has a low success rate.

She also may need to have her pellet ration increased, depending on what you have her on now. It would involve increasing the amount slowly, whilst checking her poos every day for signs on how her gut is coping with it, and prompt action if there is any sign that it is not. Increasing pellets can be a tricky business.

Whether you leave them there or not depends on how much you can trust your mother to follow your strict instructions and not do anything silly like try and feed the babies or let the mum run free. If mummy bun is again pregnant and gives birth to another litter, the current ones would only be 4 weeks old when the new litter are born, which is not good for the health of either litters or the mother.

Last edited:
Sorry this has happened for you and the bunnies. Please take notice of all Nessar has said . If you could transport the hutch complete with Mum a d babies, this should be ok.

I'm not going to lock them in!! i'm not THAT silly lol!!! :?

I've decided to leave them there until they are a bit older....that way if the mum does get stressed on the long journey they will have more chance of surviving without her if need be.

Obviously I want what is best for the bunnies, but as I don't drive and my mum lives so far away it will be hard for me to see themm more that just at weekends.

Will probably speak to her on the phone everyday and instruct her as what to do until I am in a position to go and collect them.

Thanks for all your help

So far it seems like everything you have instructed, she has done the opposite of. Could you maybe send her a copy of the link already provided here if you haven't already?

If you don't want to travel them this young, then potentially you can wait until they have their eyes open (about two weeks), until they can be weaned (about 4 weeks), oor when they are weaned (8 weeks). There is no good time to transport babies, however, when the end result outweighs the current situation it can be the right thing to do. I've seen many mums in rescues with young litters who do fine because they have it better where they are then and are far less stressed, so bear that in mind too.

If you must keep them where they are, I think you need to give your mother a paper copy of a set of rules, or a checklist of things to do and not to do every day, and then ask her to stick to it. Rather than trying to remember your advice, she can simply refer to the paper.

I am going down on the weekends with a padlock to keep mummy bunny in safely, then she wont have an excuse for them escaping.

I appreciate all your advice on the situtation with my mum, but have decided to leave them there for a few more weeks until they are a bit stronger and less likely to be too stressed out.

I would very much like some advice on HOW to keep/raise the bunnies, any tips you have would be welcomed.

Have you read the link provided on this thread already? there's a lot of info in there. If you have more sepcific questions after reading that then please ask away :)

Back