• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding??

i ment i was asking out of curiosity for the colour - not about the breeding because i did do it for years so i know what im doing - i was curious what colour that paticular match would make. Im not trying to fool anyone!! i have no reason to!! Yes i am looking for a doe - because i do want to breed again - my curiosity was for the colour - meaning im not actually bothered about what colour they are - so no, i dont fit into the 'breeders that only breed for a certain colour' stereotype.

If you want good examples of mis-matched/pot luck breeding then go down to your local rescue, it will probably be full of rabbits with health problems especially dental buns, that no one wants to rehome:cry:

However, if you want to learn about rabbit care then this is the place to be:D

Fair enough, i apologise for thinking the worst - but as Jill says, if you are going to post on several forums, or ask a potentially contraversial question, its best to give all the information.

i am confused though - you used to breed, you're not breeding now but want a new doe so you can start again? you dont care about the colour of the kits but you want to know "hyperthetically" what colours would be produced by a certain cross?

You say you have purebreeds - is that what you are planning to maybe breed? in which case there are a million other factors above colour to consider.....

yes i used to breed mini lops when i was younger with the help of my mum - ive grown up now - moved out - but i still have my love of rabbits and watching the little ones grow. And yes i was just wonderingggg what colours they would be. I dont think anyone is really understanding that i KNOWWWW what im doing - i dont need to ask about all the other factors because i already know. I simpley asked a question out of curiosity because i thought this would be a friendly place to discuss rabbits - apparently i was wrong because you're all very quick to jump down my throat. I loveee my bunnies very much and ive already got two from rescuse centres (which you seem to be encouraging people to do)- you dont seem to be bothered that im NOT doing a terrible thing - quite frankly i didnt intend to start a god damn arguement - just after an answer which ive now got - im not goin to defend myself to strangers who already have their opinions when i know im doing a good thing. thanks :)

I don't mean to say you don't know HOW to breed rabbits, in terms of "considering" I am referring more to the health and welfare of the doe, the future homes for the kits and whether they are suitably knowledgeable, whether they will be indiscriminately bred from or neglected.

I am always delighted to see the pictures on RU of people's litters (mostly accidental/abandoned) growing up, and they are truly beautiful, but thats not a good enough reason to breed any myself.

I'm not questioning your knowledge, just your motivation

what do you intend to do with the baby rabbits? Im curious to know why you want to breed rabbits

im not completly anti-breeding but i am pro rescue which sound odd to most i have never had a breeder bun directly but do feel that breeding can be done as responsibly as possible iv made this point before about accomodatioin vetinary care not over breeding etc etc (as lets face it a lot of us have unknown background bunyns from rescues i guess these could be ex breeder litters) but am always curious to know too what makes you want to breed your bunnies and what happens when they are old enough to leave mum do you have a wait list? do you provide care sheets? do you do homechecks? i am not having a go merely curious! im not sure you can garentee bunny colours from any combination due to genetics and the way you can get mutated genes too.
personally i would love to breed a doe of my own then i would neuter the doe and buck and all the babies and have a large happy family group that would be loverly to me, however i dont have the money or time or space!!! (i have 4 buns already) i personally could not bear delibratly breeding a bunny then taking away her children, as i think how would i feel if it happened to me.

honestly..... i'll keep some - i have the time and space, but the rest only to go to people i know personally - as pets. I wouldnt breed them if i was unsure what would happen to the kits. I only do it when i have the time to take care of them properly and when i know my friends and family are looking for them. Dont stereotype me as a 'breeder' who sells their bunnies to any tom **** or harry. Its not something i do OFTEN - maybe like once a year!?! im really not a bad person and i look after my bunnies perfectly

honestly..... i'll keep some - i have the time and space, but the rest only to go to people i know personally - as pets. I wouldnt breed them if i was unsure what would happen to the kits. I only do it when i have the time to take care of them properly and when i know my friends and family are looking for them. Dont stereotype me as a 'breeder' who sells their bunnies to any tom **** or harry. Its not something i do OFTEN - maybe like once a year!?! im really not a bad person and i look after my bunnies perfectly

So can we see some pics of your perfect set up then? I am still not convinced, I find it strange if you want my honest opinion, you are claiming on the one hand to know a lot about bunnies and have experience and then you come on a forum where people are in the main, very responsible and sensitive to the amount of 'excess' stock on free-ads etc asking a breeding question that is specifically about colour which you could have googled ! Don't play the old 'victim' card on this thread, it was made clear at the start when I said what I did that I could be wrong, I am entitled to express an opinion and I did provide the possibility that I was wrong and even offerred an apology if that was the case. I was concerned that other members might spend a lot of time and energy and in fact get upset over something which is a 'made-up' story. I would also like to know when you sell them maybe once a year, are they vaccinated and health checked at the vets? How much do you charge and do you declare that income to the Inland Revenue?

I didn't know for a long time after joining that this was a rescue forum, I was simply warning her before she provokes another argument :?

:wave: I appreciate that, from my point of view it occurred to me that it could be deliberate and I was highlighting that before others spent a lot of time and energy trying to help someone when there could be others posting who really do need the benefit of their advice or experience that is all, nothing personal against you, I would hope that members from other forums would be too busy on the forum they mainly use, to go on others specifically to cause trouble. :D

I don't like to be seen as supporting breeding as such...but feel I do have to say that I don't think we have the right to put so much questioning to this new member ..such as inland revenue..demanding pics ect...
having an opposing view is fine ..but I think the last couple of posts are heavy handed to say the least:?

oh so im trying to provoke an arguement!?!?! i DID google it!! thats how i came accross this forum!! i asked my question on here BEFORE the other forum - i was advised that may be a better place to get the info im after. no i dont 'declare the income' because i dont charge - for god sake i told you that i only do it for friends and family - and no you should not be asking me personal questions like that. im deleting my membership now anyway - your clearly crazy and assuming the worst from everyone - i have got the information i need now - i really dont care if your 'convinced'...i dont ever remember asking for you to be convinced by what im doing? end of conversation now because i dont honestly believe you even care that im doing good things - clearly you've just got too much time on your hands.

THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT WAS HELPFUL AND NOT JUDGEMENTAL :)

dbreeze90 - please dont leave. It is such a useful and invaluable site for rabbit knowledge. I'm sorry there were crossed wires - it happens but to offend you was not intentional. I'm a new member here and yet i've seen far to many posts from inexperienced bunny owners wh intend to breed for monetary gain. Members assumed and judged but that cant be helped because many of the members have seen too much damage done by this.

Please re-consider terminating your membership.

:wave: Firstly I wasn't demanding anything, I was just asking a question and the OP has the right to just ignore it if she/he doesn't want to reply.:roll:

Secondly, none of what I said was personal about her/him as a person, I was merely talking about what they were asking and what they are doing. In the reply I have been called crazy, that I assume the worst in everyone, and I have too much time on my hands - slight over-reaction in my view considering they aren't bothered what anyone else thinks :?

Of course I care if the OP is adopting good practice with her rabbits, that is why I suggested that she might put some pictures on here and talk a bit more about it :), the comment regarding being 'not convinced' was relating specifically to the original question being posted when and how it was, not what the OP is doing with her rabbits or what he/she is like personally.

As for having too much time on my hands, thanks for that :thumb:- I do have spare time but I fill it sufficiently without breeding animals for something to do when there is already hundreds if not thousands waiting for homes and others simply being given away on 'free-ads' etc not to mention the ones sat in pet shops ! Fair enough, your saying that you rehome them to family and friends - well your going to have to think of another plan aren't you if you are going to continue doing this over time as rabbits if they are looked after can live a long time and eventually your family and friends might not be able to take anymore.

:wave: I appreciate that, from my point of view it occurred to me that it could be deliberate and I was highlighting that before others spent a lot of time and energy trying to help someone when there could be others posting who really do need the benefit of their advice or experience that is all, nothing personal against you, I would hope that members from other forums would be too busy on the forum they mainly use, to go on others specifically to cause trouble. :D

I am on a lot of forums, from rescue ones to breeding ones, I do spend most of my time on one forum but in my spare time I go on different ones to do the thing I love most - learning about rabbits

I am on a lot of forums, from rescue ones to breeding ones, I do spend most of my time on one forum but in my spare time I go on different ones to do the thing I love most - learning about rabbits

Forums are open to anyone Demismith as you know but, in this world we are not all going to agree with one another, people have different perspectives/experiences and to have one sided opinions only would actually be very dull. I am particularly sensitive about rabbit welfare at the moment and personally cannot see why people breed animals for fun or as a hobby but, that is just my view, of course others will feel differently and therefore discussions/debates will take place. The OP that posted on here was quite entitled to ask the question and she would get replies of all kinds, we are all entitled to express our opinions, maybe if he/she doesn't want to hear opposing views then a 'breeder' forum may be more suitable or he/she can discuss the fact that she feels the need to breed and why the colour is of vital importance. The comments regarding trolling could have just been addressed in a non-confrontational way instead of in a defensive, over sensitive way which is clearly trying to get others into trouble when in fact they haven't been trying to offend anyone or be personal at all, they were posted simply to identify the possibility before anyone did get upset. I am going to step away from this now and will avoid threads like this in the future as my feelings are very strong about unnecessary 'hobby' breeding so it is best I don't get involved. x

Agree with honeybunny.

While many of us are against breeding, there's no need to be agressive and it's likely to have the opposite effect to the intended one.

VickiP, probably a good idea to step away for exactly the reasons you've given.

i have already apologised, and i guess we were a bit heavy handed, but reasonable questions were asked and their intention explained. If the OP chooses to take offence then so be it. Most of us are experienced enough to know that breeding usually doesn't work out the way people intend - friends and family are quickly 'saturated' with new bunnies (lucky you if you have so many knowledgeable friends!) so unless you KNOW you have homes lined up, where to the next litter go? We've just heard all these reasons and ideas before, and know they just don't work out.

Everyone asks for set-up pics and bunny pics - its not an inspection, its information and appreciation.

If you dont want to be questioned, dont ask a question!!

Back