• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding??

I don't think I can watch it, I can't handle it:cry:

It is a very, very sad Vicky but a very thought provoking, brave video made by Magic's mummy :cry: She nearly lost her after deciding to breed with her - Magic's babies sadly died & Magic herself was very poorly after an emergency section - but her mummy made this video to try to get people to think VERY carefully before breeding :cry:

It is a very, very sad Vicky but a very thought provoking, brave video made by Magic's mummy :cry: She nearly lost her after deciding to breed with her - Magic's babies sadly died & Magic herself was very poorly after an emergency section - but her mummy made this video to try to get people to think VERY carefully before breeding :cry:

Yes I will give it a miss, done enough crying over bunnies lately :( Good idea on her part though I agree to share her experience, I hope it does make people think x

I feel a wee bit embarrassed for defending her! :oops::oops: Oh well...I always try to see the good in people:roll:...I just hope that my advise is listened to.:)

Rabbit's colours are not like paints, where breeding a white rabbit and black rabbit will make all grey babies.
There will be a variety of colours, whatever colours are in their genes i.e. what colour their previous ancestors have been.
You'll get brindle, albino, some blacks, agouti, whatever colour their parents etc. have been.
Personally I would never breed a rabbit due to the sheer amount of rabbits in rescues :)

Blue fox with REW (albino)

Matrix for at-B-chdcddE-(Silver Marten-Blue) and --cc--(REW)
Himalayan-Black => 25.00%
Otter-Blue => 25.00%
Agouti-Himalayan => 25.00%
Opal => 25.00%

By brindle do you mean harliquin?

Blue fox with harliquin could produce all these colours!:shock::lol:

Chestnut => 21.09%
Harlequin-Black&Gold => 7.03%
Opal => 21.09%
Harlequin-Blue&Fawn => 7.03%
Chinchilla => 7.03%
Unknown #1032 => 2.34%
Squirrel => 7.03%
Unknown #1034 => 2.34%
Otter-Black => 7.03%
Unknown #1280 => 2.34%
Otter-Blue => 7.03%
Unknown #1282 => 2.34%
Silver Marten-Black => 2.34%
Unknown #1288 => 0.78%
Silver Marten-Blue => 2.34%
Unknown #1290 => 0.78%

Last edited:

Otter-Blue => 25.00%
Opal => 25.00%

Chestnut => 21.09%
Opal => 21.09%
Chinchilla => 7.03%
Unknown #1032 => 2.34%
Squirrel => 7.03%
Unknown #1034 => 2.34%
Otter-Black => 7.03%
Unknown #1280 => 2.34%
Otter-Blue => 7.03%
Unknown #1282 => 2.34%
Unknown #1288 => 0.78%
Unknown #1290 => 0.78%

How fascinating-NOT:roll:

Otter-Blue => 25.00%
Opal => 25.00%

Chestnut => 21.09%
Opal => 21.09%
Chinchilla => 7.03%
Unknown #1032 => 2.34%
Squirrel => 7.03%
Unknown #1034 => 2.34%
Otter-Black => 7.03%
Unknown #1280 => 2.34%
Otter-Blue => 7.03%
Unknown #1282 => 2.34%
Unknown #1288 => 0.78%
Unknown #1290 => 0.78%

:shock::shock: OMG - Sooty and charlie are black and white, and Oreo is brown and white - EASY :lol: Why does it matter what colour??

:shock::shock: OMG - Sooty and charlie are black and white, and Oreo is brown and white - EASY :lol: Why does it matter what colour??

All I know is that if you have one black parent you're going to have at least some black babies, depending on whether the parent is BB or Bb. (Lets just say that there are many, many big black buns like Teddy :lol: as his dad was BB. I know that REW are a natural "accident:roll:" and block out all colour that there is.

Bentley bun was BB and sired Teddy and his sister Glenda (not at the same time.
Teddy is probably Bb as his mum, Tylda, is blue....but he is still black because black is dominant. Glenda's mum was a harli (absolutely gorgeous girl!:love:) so Glenda is probably Bb. The harli is recessive. Ruby is Glenda's and Carlos's daughter. (Carlos is an orange butterfly.) She is orange with a few harli markings. (But has a blue brother...as you might remember from pictures.) I don't know how their genes work, but think the blue comes from Glenda and not Carlos.

Tylda has had a litter with Carlos, and there are some butterfly babies in there. Tylda's mum was a blue butterfly, so I'm guessing there's some butterfly there in her genes.

.....yes I was very interested...but only for the interest factor!! I don't have an interest in breeding!. ;)

NB: Ted's breeder, my friend, doesn't write down all these percentages and possibilities...she couldn't tell you if you asked her. She cares soley about temperament.....which is why when Bentley was the stud buck it was a year of black buns.:lol: She only has a few litters a year! The females spend most the day chilling together in the garden, and the males get free range time in the day. I know there are some people who think that breeder's think of their buns as stock, but K loves her buns dearly. They are her life...and are not "stock". They're well loved pets! :love: The fact that I'm still in contact with her can only be good
Sorry for all that...but I didn't want to be jumped on! ;) Wanted to explain myself.

I thought it was quite interesting actually.

It also goes to show how much 'stock wastage' there would be if a breeder was breeding just to achieve a certain colour :(

I agree, quite shocking really :(

I've got an unsymmetrical broken butterfly dwarf lop and another unsymmetrical broken butterfly mini lop x lionhead and I love them both to bits :lol:

no no no you've got me all wrong!!!!!! I was asking out of curiosity!!! I used to breed rabbits when i was younger because im craaaazy about them - and dont be too quick to judge - i onlyyyy breed rabbits whos parents and grandparents are known. Also as per the 'why would you want to when there are lots of rabbits in rescue centres' (or however it was said)comment - ive got two rabbits from the rspca now. But i do have my pure breeds aswell and Surely its my choice if i would like some kits!?!?! thanks for the people who didnt jump on the bandwagon assuming the worst of me :)

I agree you shouldn't be jumped on for asking a question
but your reply that you are only asking " out of curiosity " doesn't then fit with you saying its up to you if you have kits:?

I agree its up to you..but best to be honest about your plans when posting on several forums at once..cos a lot of people view them all..and will know you are actively searching for a certain coloured doe in your area to start breeding again.

At least you seem to be researching what you plan to do first..which is a very good idea
Although, being a rescue, I'm anti-breeding, there are a couple of experienced breeders on here that will give you good advice
and the general care and health advice given on here is usually of a high standard..so stick around:D

I agree, I have said I could be wrong, just seems a coincidence that Demismith happened to be online and we don't usually get no introductions and direct breeding questions

I didn't know for a long time after joining that this was a rescue forum, I was simply warning her before she provokes another argument :?

NB: Ted's breeder, my friend, doesn't write down all these percentages and possibilities...she couldn't tell you if you asked her. She cares soley about temperament.....which is why when Bentley was the stud buck it was a year of black buns.:lol: She only has a few litters a year! The females spend most the day chilling together in the garden, and the males get free range time in the day. I know there are some people who think that breeder's think of their buns as stock, but K loves her buns dearly. They are her life...and are not "stock". They're well loved pets! :love: The fact that I'm still in contact with her can only be good
Sorry for all that...but I didn't want to be jumped on! ;) Wanted to explain myself.

Just wanted to add that Ted's breeder was where I was considoring getting my first bun from cause I had heard such good things about them :wave:
Then I got Blue from a girl at works accidental litter (day before buck was to be neutered :roll: )
I am very interested in the genetics side of things....as I have done a lot of Biology and initially wanted to go into conservation breeding programs :wave:
Agree that you really need to get your stories straight if you are on more than one forum though :roll:

Back