• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am anti breeding but here's some genuine advice

You are new to keeping rabbits so need to do a lot of research before you breed..you need to be familiar with common health problems..how to recognise them and how to deal with them.

You need to find a really good rabbit vet

Do not use a rabbit bought from a petshop..you do not know it's family history

You will need to build up funds to cover vets bills which could run into hundreds

You will need several large hutches/cages and quarantine area

You will need to contact a good breeder to aquire decent stock with no genitic deformaties. in their backgrounds...and just cos someone has a website it doesn't make them a good breeder

Do not rely on friends saying they will have babies from you as when it comes to time to take them you can count on 90% of people changing their minds

You will have to accept that it may be very upsetting as does can kill their first litter...the babies could die through illness, etc and you could lose your doe through pregnancey complications

As already said..if you decide to go ahead..try pm'ing the member called Walnut Earth on here as she will be able to give you breeding tips

Hmm, well doesnt look like im going to get much help on here.
Becky Your Hilarious :L:L Not.

Hi,
I think we have spoken before? I would like just like to say think very, very carefully before you make the decision to breed. I had two rabbits, one male one female and thought it would be a good idea to breed them. I love them both (all animals really!), I am married with one son so am fairly secure in life if you know what I mean.
Anyway, back to the rabbits, like I say we decided to breed them. The first litter had 5 rabbit but 2 died (from the cold as the mum was young and inexperienced I think). The other 3 are well but it did take me a while to find homes for them.
I seperated the mum & dad after the birth of the first litter (and was very lucky she wasn't pregnant again straight away as the dad was present at the birth). I built a little fence to seperate the garden into two so they both had their own space however the dad escaped for a few seconds (and I was there so I know it wasn't long that they were together!) and 4 wks later we end up with another 4 babies.
This second litter have cost me a small fortune! Two of the bun's didn't open thier eyes and even now nearly eight weeks later they are still under the care of the vets (going once or twice a week) - at one stage there was talk of an operation - I hate to think how much that would cost!!

So after a waffle of my short period of rabbit - going from 2 to 9 in a very short period of time here are my pro's and con's of breeding:

pro's:
very cute and interesting to see them grown up

con's:
more cost on food - (pregnant mum and babies when they eat solids)
cost of vet bills - (even if you have healthy buns, you need to get them sorted, jabbed up etc)
disagreements! - Our two original rabbits (mum & dad) have turned on all the babies. so you have to be prepared to seperate them.
more babies - if the babies are male/female (which in most litters you are going to end up with some of each) you will need to seperate them to prevent more litters
hormones - maybe they get like this anyway but before my buck was netured and just after he got seperated from Star (the mum) he was a nightmare. He bit me, attacked me and just wasn't a very pleasant bunny to be around. Star is a bit hormonal too (she will be sprayed very soon).

I am sure there are more (of both) but as you can see the cons do outweight the pros .... I have been on just a rollercoaster journey with these bun's and to be honest if I could reverse time and choice if I should breed them or not, then I wouldn't! I would have booked them both in for the vets to get them sprayed etc when I picked them up on day one!

I hope that helps a little and feel free to email me/PM me if you want any more info/advice etc ...

This forum is a forum derived from a rescue site, where people are breaking their backs and hearts to rehome neglected, abused, abandoned, give up on etc rabbits.
We do not 'frown' upon breeders, there are some great breeders out there who know what they're doing and are much respected members of this forum...
HOWEVER..
breeding 'just bcuz u wnt 2' is not a 'good' enough reason.
A RESPONSIBLE breeder would know the full background of the 2 rabbits they're breeding, not just having a rabbit and let it in a hutch with a nother to see what the babies will look like.
Yes, maybe you are edging in the right direction by asking for help, but please, i beg you, look into other things if you have the time, space money, or atleast wait until you breed, get involved with a rescue so it can open your eyes.

Which brings me back to the point I made, and also the very valid point Jane made too - Dont breed if youve dont know the genetic lines!
The last thing you need is genetic faults being passed on to babys and possibly landing yourself or the bunnys new owners with massive vet bills! When I got Phoebe, the last thing I expected was that he would be costing me sometimes over £200 because of gut stasis
I actually had an accidental litter of 8 babys and trust me - it ends up VERY pricey! I used to go through a massive sack of food in just over a week so that was £46 a month, on food ALONE, that was without bedding,hay, straw,treats
Phoebe my male rabbit, is very prone to bouts of gut stasis, which i swear is due to dodgey genetics, he also has a funny shaped face so the vet has to keep an eye on his teeth too
Personally, I think anyone who is considering breeding rabbits, should be an expierenced rabbit owner

Last edited:
I would recommend fostering a pregnant doe. Baby bunnies are expensive and take up a lot of time. I've just had a accidental litter and I am dreading it to be honest. I did used to breed, because 'i wanted cute babys', but after 2 litters and the expense and heartbreak it caused its really not what you think it is.

I am sorry but I am completely against breeding & with all due respect I get the feeling from your posts that you are very inexperienced in keeping rabbits let alone breeding them - irrespective of how much 'research' you may do.

I realise this forum is for breeders as well as rescuers, but given the number of unwanted rabbits (or any other animal for that matter) in rescues - breeding them 'because you want to' is completely irresponsible. I do not wish to insult you, but I feel so strongly about this subject, that I do not feel that you have neither the experience, the knowledge, the funds or anything else to be even considering breeding rabbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back