• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding possibilities - help needed please..

Rabbits are very high maintenance pets - they take more work than cats I'm afraid.

Rabbit hutches (at least the loo) need to be cleaned every day plus their whole hutch cleaned every week thoroughly, plus their run-space cleaned regularly
They need hours and hours of exercise every day if their run isn't permanently attached.
They need toys
They need fresh veggies (not sure what age to start them on these though).

All of this is for the whole year for the rest of their lives!

Plus, they need sterilising - female rabbits have a greatly reduced life expectancy if they aren't sterilised.

They cost a fortune when things go wrong and rabbits get ill more than your average cat or dog.

I really think you should read up on the RWAF site and then come back to us with questions, queries and advice.

Good luck!

Emma

Oh dear. I had a rabbit for 12 years who eventually escaped. Never had anything wrong with him in all that time.

Oh dear. I had a rabbit for 12 years who eventually escaped. Never had anything wrong with him in all that time.

If that is true it is nothing short of a miracle - even expert rabbit keepers struggle to keep their rabbits alive for 12 years. With what you seem to know about rabbits I'm afraid I doubt your word. If it is true, I congratulate you and wonder why you are bothering to ask us at all.

Emma

I myself have no minilops here. mostly crossbreeds.
What are you going to do with the rabbit?

I want to give him to you but Im confused.

I have had a look at your website and can see why you hate what I have done. All I wanted was 2 healthy bunnies to give a loving home to. I wanted mini lops because I have a small garden and wanted them to have as much space as possible. Sparrow looks small. Would he be suitable??

Because I will have a hutch with no rabbits in it unless could it be possible to adopt a mini lop from yourself?

Okay since you've edited this post I'll make another reply. You're willing to give up this bun because it's ill and get a rescue bun? What if some day it falls ill (the rescue buns)? Or needs dental treatment and such? (Correct me if I've got what you're saying wrong not sure if you're giving this bun up or not?)

If that is true it is nothing short of a miracle - even expert rabbit keepers struggle to keep their rabbits alive for 12 years. With what you seem to know about rabbits I'm afraid I doubt your word. If it is true, I congratulate you and wonder why you are bothering to ask us at all.

Emma

It is true thankyou. He was supposed to be a netherland dwarf but he grew quite big. I bought him from pets at home.

Emma
it can be true my cousins bun is 12 not spayed and only had two jabs ever which i don`t agree with but it is possible..

I want to give him to you but Im confused.

I have had a look at your website and can see why you hate what I have done. All I wanted was 2 healthy bunnies to give a loving home to. I wanted mini lops because I have a small garden and wanted them to have as much space as possible. Sparrow looks small. Would he be suitable??

Sparrow does need to have the odd dental as his molars do not meet correctly, so he would need the odd vet trip. He is a Dwarf lop which is larger than a mini lop. Could you afford two dentals a year? (around £50) as in all honesty, it would be no different than two tear duct flushes a year for your current bun.

Where are you located?

Sparrow does need to have the odd dental as his molars do not meet correctly, so he would need the odd vet trip. He is a Dwarf lop which is larger than a mini lop. Could you afford two dentals a year? (around £50) as in all honesty, it would be no different than two tear duct flushes a year for your current bun.

Where are you located?

So two tear duct flushes a year isn't too bad then

Last edited:

Where are you located?

I think reading on the net is what put me off taking her to vets in first place. When I first researched it I read that it costs thousands to flush and was very rarely successful.

Last edited:
Essex

I see your point. Ok, I know you cant diagnose but what do you think is wrong with her eye?

Here is what happened: When I bought her breeded said he must point out that she had been poked in eye with hay as a baby. I could see nothing wrong at all so took her. From each day on her eye has become worse. Hard matted fur. Pink skin. No obvious discharge but wet soggy patch. Her actual eye looks fine and is not red or anything.

Take her to the vet

Essex

I see your point. Ok, I know you cant diagnose but what do you think is wrong with her eye?

Here is what happened: When I bought her breeded said he must point out that she had been poked in eye with hay as a baby. I could see nothing wrong at all so took her. From each day on her eye has become worse. Hard matted fur. Pink skin. No obvious discharge but wet soggy patch. Her actual eye looks fine and is not red or anything.

sounds like she needs vet treatment asap

Essex

Where in Essex?
She certainly needs a vet and some Fucithulmic cream at least.

Back