• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding possibilities - help needed please..

He breeds a bun with known health problems? Its not surprising the bunny had health problems :roll: This is in no way aimed at you but the breeder doesnt sound very good :cry: :cry:.

Yeah because one of the golden rules of breeding is to KNOW that their are no inherited health problems. He/she really does sound like a moron who doesn't know what their doing. :roll:
Glad you've opted not to breed.

I am going to be cruel now but hopefully it will get the point across - if you send the baby rabbit back you may well be sending her to her death. Sorry to be blunt but why would someone who breeds commercially be bothered to pay for vetinary treatment? Some breeders are responsible and do things properly but they are few and far between.

I am afraid you will have to take the bunnies to the vets at least twice a month for the rest of their lives - their lives being 8-12 years!
I suggest you do some thorough research into the requirements of the rabbits and forget about breeding them. This website is amazingly brilliant for information about the size of hutches and their runs, as well as food, neutering and such like. Good luck!

Emma

I dont agree with this. If buns are healthy then I only see the need for them to visit a vet 3 times a year for 2 myxi and 1 vhd jab not twice a month???

Ok if you start again with new bunnies why not adopt from your local rescue. They will have already been vaccinated, neutered and they will have the background of the bunnies and they will have been veterinarily checked. Would work out cheaper in the long run. Sorry I still feel it is unfair on the bunny to return it without having it checked by the vet first and a proper diagnosis done but obviously that is your decision.

I just know its going to cost me at least £50 to be told she has an ongoing condition. At best maybe its conjunctivitious and could be cleared up? but if it were that wouldnt she have it in the other eye and given it to the other bunny by now?

I just know its going to cost me at least £50 to be told she has an ongoing condition. At best maybe its conjunctivitious and could be cleared up? but if it were that wouldnt she have it in the other eye and given it to the other bunny by now?

If you do not want to keep her, i will take her in, so she does not have to go back to the breeder.

Though to be honest, things like this should have been thought of prior to buying rabbits. BooBoo, now Erin who lives with Liz on here, had to have a Gastrotomy due to her stomach being an impacted mass. It cost £500. :shock: But i knew i had to give her the chance so at least i could say i tried- she came through fine and is still a happy little girl now :D

Each vaccination is around £20.
So £60 per rabbit a year

If your not willing to pay for a vet you shouldn't have pets full stop. Even with the best care rabbits and other animals can still get ill.
Helen xx

If you do not want to keep her, i will take her in, so she does not have to go back to the breeder.

Though to be honest, things like this should have been thought of prior to buying rabbits. BooBoo, now Erin who lives with Liz on here, had to have a Gastrotomy due to her stomach being an impacted mass. It cost £500. :shock: But i knew i had to give her the chance so at least i could say i tried- she came through fine and is still a happy little girl now :D

Each vaccination is around £20.
So £60 per rabbit a year

That is so kind of you but if I dont take her back I wont get new bunnies. My daughter is heart broken as it is.

How much does this cost per rabbit per year?

Depending on where you are each injection is around about £15-£20 if you say where you are people from that area will be able to give you a better idea. So if we say £20 each jab for 2 buns thats £40 x 3 = £120 a year non emergency vet care

Last edited:
If your not willing to pay for a vet you shouldn't have pets full stop. Even with the best care rabbits and other animals can still get ill.
Helen xx

I have 5 cats and a dog. They all have regular jabs etc and cost me a fortune in bills but they didnt come to me ill in the first place.

I dont agree with this. If buns are healthy then I only see the need for them to visit a vet 3 times a year for 2 myxi and 1 vhd jab not twice a month???

Typo - sorry! :oops: Jeez, I'd be bankrupt if it was that often. I should have read it through properly :oops:

That is so kind of you but if I dont take her back I wont get new bunnies. My daughter is heart broken as it is.

I'm confused :? you don't want to take her back to the breeder, and keep her instead? Why not just give her to Starlight if she is offering a second chance for her? I think the big question here is do you have the time/money to care for rabbits because they are very high maintenence animals.

You must have very expensive vets :shock: If this breeder man was as nice as he seems he should offer the money for the vet fees or give you a full refund for both rabbits. I find £10.00 to be extremely low amount of money for a reputable breeder to charge for pure bred minilops. Before I was educated and found this forum I got Honey from a very good breeder and I certainly paid a lot more. It could be anything it doesn't necessarily need to be in both eyes to be conjunctivitious she could have some hay in it. If the breeder has a rabbit with tear duct problems and it is from the same line it is more likely to be that. I just feel for the poor bunny:(

I have 5 cats and a dog. They all have regular jabs etc and cost me a fortune in bills but they didnt come to me ill in the first place.

You still bought the rabbit. It is therefore your responsibility! I wouldn't take a pet back just because the poor thing was ill..:evil:
Helen xx

Rabbits are very high maintenance pets - they take more work than cats I'm afraid.

Rabbit hutches (at least the loo) need to be cleaned every day plus their whole hutch cleaned every week thoroughly, plus their run-space cleaned regularly
They need hours and hours of exercise every day if their run isn't permanently attached.
They need toys
They need fresh veggies (not sure what age to start them on these though).

All of this is for the whole year for the rest of their lives!

Plus, they need sterilising - female rabbits have a greatly reduced life expectancy if they aren't sterilised.

They cost a fortune when things go wrong and rabbits get ill more than your average cat or dog.

I really think you should read up on the RWAF site and then come back to us with questions, queries and advice.

Good luck!

Emma

Back