• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bread

TillysMom

New Kit
Is it okay for Harlie & Galen to eat bread??

I went in the garden yesterday to find my 2 yo had been feeding them her sandwich crusts.....

Um. Hmmm.... Sneaky little moo. I just thought i'd better check its not going to do any major damage?

Probably not the best thing for them to have, but ok as a one off.

I have fed mine small amounts of brown bread when trying to get them to put weight on so I'm sure it won't do them any harm x

Joey, Flint & Chocolate love toast. - but the vet gave me a right telling off!! :oops: They have it as an occassional treat now. :oops:

As a one off sneaky snack it wont do any harm. But bread is not a good food for bunnies as the high carbohydrate in it can cause havoc with their guts. Bloat/stasis being the end result.

Janex

In the winter i used to give my three a slice of warm wholemeal toast between them in the evenings should i not have done this? :roll:

Frankie said:
In the winter i used to give my three a slice of warm wholemeal toast between them in the evenings should i not have done this? :roll:

Probably not every night :wink:

I avoid bread altogether! I don't think its good for rabbits, stick with hay, veg, pellets and occasional fruit as a treat. Avoid all human type snack foods. Its not worth the risk of making them ill.

I wouldnt feed bread either but if you do toast it so they have to chew it. Bread fresh will swell when it gets in there gut. val

i read

I read somewhere that it was very bad for them, for their stomachs, as is breakfast cereals which some people are tempted to feed them :? ! My mum reckons her friend killed her rabbit when she was little by feeding it bread....

I have given mine bread (toasted) and it as never done them any harm. In fact when one of mine was in the Vets I had to take him in his bread & banana as he wouldn't eat anything else. As regards breakfast cereals mine like a bit of weetabix too.

I have given mine bread (toasted) and it as never done them any harm. In fact when one of mine was in the Vets I had to take him in his bread & banana as he wouldn't eat anything else. As regards breakfast cereals mine like a bit of weetabix too

You can just imagine him at the vet and in the morning waiting for the room service of bananas on toast. :lol:

Back