• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bouts of stasis

Mizz

New Kit
Hi, I have a little rabbit Sooty who’s about 8.5yrs. Normally fit as a flea. Since losing her partner 4months should I’ve had nothing but issues with statis. She is now rebonded and very happy. However, after seeking advice from Exoctics vets they found infected ears which have now cleared up. All was fine for about a week but then last night another bout of statis - I gave her meds inclu loxicom within hours back to normal.
She’s had bloods done nothing major But some markers which might be indicative Of arthritis.
My question without having a ct scan which is mega bucks(I will do this if needed) is it possible that arthritis could be causing the pain then statis?And if so does she really need pain meds every day? Is there anyway of knowing other then trail and error. Say give meds twice a week see what happens if no good increase again? What think 🤔
With pain meds and some initial gut stimulants she’s bounces beck every time,
Thankyou sorry for long post

Arthritis could be the primary cause. It may be that she requires daily NSAIDs, I have encountered this situation numerous times with elderly Rabbits. I would discuss a trial of daily Metacam with your Vet. Arthritic Rabbits can also benefit from Acupuncture, Photobiomodulation, Physiotherapy. These complimentary treatments may not be available atm though, due to Covid restrictions.

There are some reference links about Arthritis on here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...e-Links-to-Various-Health-Problems-in-Rabbits

Back