• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Take Two Fingers Crossed

Have just looked up my photos from Primrose and Rodney's binding because my memory is so poor and I was so on edge I can't remember much.

It looks like from first in the bonding pen together to first groom was 11 days. So I wonder if this is just Rodney's way and I'm getting obsessive about it all?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Tail wagging is a very good sign :love: We don't know Blossom's history so we have to be patient with her. She might have been used for breeding, she certainly was overfed! Breeders sometimes overfeed their Does. I wouldn't send them away, it can be very unsettling.

Hang in there :) You and they are doing well. Grooming in my view can wait. The important thing is that there is no aggression and they clearly trust each other to have snoozed a day or so ago with their backs to each other.

I did think she may have been discarded from a breeder, with her likely being an Ehlers Damlos syndrome carrier if she'd been bred with another carrier the kits likely wouldnt have survived as their skin would have torn constantly.

We shall keep working on trust and I shall try and be patient. I'm a terrible worrywart and I fear this hinders things too.

They are definitely getting closer in general which is good.

2a1212b793fa10330898bb6a6b21cd73.jpg

They are very unhappy unfortunately I suspect partly as I've not dated to put their heat pads in for them to fight over and they both prefer sleeping with those.

It's the coldest night we've had here in Devon I think and although the heating is on I wonder if that's affecting their mood and sleepiness.

Rodney lunges at her if she gets too close while he has food but is happy for her to eat from another pile. He is known for food aggression, previously scatter feeding has been required to help manage this so I think possible may need to restart that.

What are these ' heat pads', you refer to please?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Rodney's not doing so well,he's refusing his greens now.

This happened last time he had a big moult so I'm actually not too concerned about the bonding being a problem here.

However at some point we may need to make a call about meds vs vets trip for him.

He's still producing poo it's just small, he's eating some hay and forage just not his usual loads and he's in fine rageful spirits.

I'm starting him on some water syringes to go with his fibreplex as he's not a big drinker so no greens mean he's not gonna get as much liquids.

Thank you. He's doing ok, just started passing his hairy double poop so hopefully that should clear him out a bit. I honestly have considered shaving him to prevent this but I can't bear to part with his beautiful mane.

Getting on well today, lots of non aggressive sniffs and general sitting a bit closer together and a bit more chill while the other is eating as demonstrated below [emoji1787]
9ce10b16dc68c6ec0f0da7ef399d1743.jpg

You're doing a grand job. I often check in but never have any helpful advice. They do seem on track & todays update really positive. You can't hurry bunny love it seems

Haha one day I hope to see one of those love at first sight bonds!

Still today is going well and I feel like the atmosphere has changed almost. It's hard to describe but it feels less suspicious scary behaviour and more oh it's you again interactions.

Hostilities have resumed this morning when she attempted to steal his breakfast from his mouth...

Still he told her off and resumed eating so it wasnt too bad.

Hostilities have resumed this morning when she attempted to steal his breakfast from his mouth...

Still he told her off and resumed eating so it wasnt too bad.
Excellent, they've moved on the the uhm, right kind of hostilities! She's being more bold (again IIRC?) and he's recovering from the insult in the right way :D

Aboleth wuld hump Lopsy if she thought he was getting more food than her but they were both good mouth-stealers. Chibbs wouldn't mouth steal for ages but she got her confidence up eventually :) Lopsy's always done it, it's one of his favourite bunny behaviours (it involves food!).

[emoji1787][emoji1787] it really serves him right to be honest.

He used to do it all the time to Primrose but she'd just snatch it back and run until she found the perfect spot to eat in.

If you've never seen a bun trying to abscond with a leaf as tall as they are long you're missing out [emoji1787]

This evening we are sulking separately as I have removed their shelter from the pen for the night as there's far too much escape attempt mischief going on with it.

I need to find something smaller but with enough space for them to sit slightly apart I think.

No viable bonding progress today apart from the breakfast theft and poo production is still poor for Rodney although more volume still tiny.

I'm really hoping to avoid taking them to the vets before they're ready but may have to if he doesn't pick up much. My bramble leaves have arrived today though and I am hopeful they help.

ec19c10b8193399cd20becb8d1a727ba.jpg

Back