• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Take Two Fingers Crossed

Adding a shelter seems to have worked to get him engaged.

I didnt have anything that hadn't been claimed so cobbled some mesh bookcase thing together for them.

I think I might start neutralising some of the plastic toys. They don't have many as he nibbles the softer plastics.

Pear sticks arrived today as well so I might start adding those in too.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Adding a shelter seems to have worked to get him engaged.

I didnt have anything that hadn't been claimed so cobbled some mesh bookcase thing together for them.

I think I might start neutralising some of the plastic toys. They don't have many as he nibbles the softer plastics.

Pear sticks arrived today as well so I might start adding those in too.

I'm pleased that the shelter has worked. The Pear sticks would also be a good idea I think.

I shall pop them in once they awake from what I call the post dinner coma.

Rodney is a funny one as his absolute favourite thing to do is simply run. So no binkies and zoomies are hard for him.

Unfortunately I suspect we're in for a couple of months of space restrictions to cement the bond.

Last time we had to expand only once a week to stop things going backwards, Rodney would chase and fur pull Primrose each time.

But fingers crossed it may be easier this time.

Oh ok that makes things easier.

I'm just prepping to neutralise his cage today ready for when they can move in so I'm in neutralise mode. It's a good chance for a proper deep clean without being interrogated by little buns.

I have worked out why Rodney's poop is shrinking and thankfully it's starting to improve again, he's been eating the fur that he's pulled from her rather than dropping it like I've seen in the past.

I'll be more diligent in checking his mouth after a chase first before checking her back.

Oh ok that makes things easier.

I'm just prepping to neutralise his cage today ready for when they can move in so I'm in neutralise mode. It's a good chance for a proper deep clean without being interrogated by little buns.

I have worked out why Rodney's poop is shrinking and thankfully it's starting to improve again, he's been eating the fur that he's pulled from her rather than dropping it like I've seen in the past.

I'll be more diligent in checking his mouth after a chase first before checking her back.

I neutralised everything even post bond, but I was a bit OTT maybe :lol: I steam cleaned the cat tree towers (Frosty had had on his own) with vinegar solution before they were given access to it. But everyone is different and there are no rules. It’s knowing your bunnies that counts. I didn’t have litter trays during bonding for example as that didn’t work for the bunnies I was bonding.

:lol: AtRodney eating the evidence

Honestly he's such a silly boy. I give him haircuts every so often and he does try it with his own hair so I'm wise to this but didnt expect him to eat hers [emoji1787]

I might start feeding him some fibreplex to see if it helps push things through.

I broke my steam cleaner after our last set of neutralising, I dont think I rinsed the vinegar out enough and it corroded the heat element [emoji25]

It's a pity as I'm wiping down the cage panels for making his cage smaller outside and its freezing!

Bunnies can use cat trees?

That would be awesome ad it might stop Blossom climbing my bookcases!

Bunnies can use cat trees?

That would be awesome ad it might stop Blossom climbing my bookcases!

Well mine was a bargain second hand purchase. It was huge and very tall, so I removed the top tiers of it. That left 2 towers. See photo as it’s hard to explain. But it gets used to jump into and between and on top of. There was a hammock between the 2 towers but that was removed too. It depends on the tree and the construction of it imo.
UoyNe1e.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I might start keeping an eye on the second hand pages!

Bonding wise we're still slowly getting used to each other, Blossom is running off whenever he approaches whether he's aggressive or not and he very rarely keeps chasing.

Does anyone have any success sitting them side by side and grooming them yourself to try and trick them a bit?

Thanks I might start keeping an eye on the second hand pages!

Bonding wise we're still slowly getting used to each other, Blossom is running off whenever he approaches whether he's aggressive or not and he very rarely keeps chasing.

Does anyone have any success sitting them side by side and grooming them yourself to try and trick them a bit?

Cats usually don’t use anything you buy for them specifically so you might find something on eBay, preloved, gumtree, schpock etc. I think I paid £5 for mine! The guy had bought it for his kittens and they didn’t go near it :lol:

We're happy to sit somewhat close together! But only if you put bars between us...

The little area has a mesh panel between to keep it stable and it seems they like the idea.
9b0db23c2e706f8b2fa7feeaca30c2b2.jpg

I've been in the garden all day and a friend came round to help me with some jobs I can't do on my own. What is the area like they will be living in eventually? I think you will just have to give them more time.

Basically a bigger version of what they're in now. Just with wooden sides in a different room.

I can keep them in here without much trouble. Hubby works in this room anyway but I do feel cruel keeping them cooped up so long.

I did wonder about scooping them out individually for their exercise time in a room they're used to for a few hours, although they'd still be confined to that space.

Or maybe we should pop them in the big cage divided in two again and try in a few more months.

Or maybe they'd be fine in the neutralised normal cage where things are more familiar.

I wouldn't separate them - it's only 6 days since you put them together so maybe Blossom needs more time. Could you try them together in another room with more space? If it doesn't seem to help then go back to how you have them now.

Yeah I really dont want to split them at all as I feel they've managed this many days. But then I know fights can happen weeks in.

Hmmm maybe the only neutral room left is our bedroom and I'd only be able to clear a tiny space. I'm starting to realise the impractical nature of free roaming when you need to bond.

I might be able to make this space a bit bigger if I get an extra piece of lino as Rodney loves eating carpet which would be worse right now given the hair he's munched.

I suspect it's a combo of Rodney never being able to read bunny social stuff and possibly Blossom doesn't have the confidence or experience either.

I'd try the smudged food on noses but Rodney won't eat anything squishy.

I'd ask my sister in law to have them for a few days but shes just adopted a massive beast of a kitten and I fear it would be too much for them.

She was just flopped out happily, he sneaks over and gives her a nip in the bum and then goes back to what he's doing.

No fur this time at least, is this still him giving the I'm in charge here vibes?

I certainly wouldn't split them either. I think I'd try them in their normal cage or I would make this cage bigger, always reverting to where they are now if there's any aggression.

The nip on the bum could be the I'm in charge thing and I wouldn't be too concerned by this as long as there's no retaliation. When my current two bonded, the doe Tui who is much younger and livelier, used to run up to Tethra, the buck and nip his bum briefly only to run quickly away binkying as she went :lol: I think it's preferable to have some contact, as long as thre is no aggression tbh.

Haha yeah I think I've seen Primrose do it but usually accompanied by an almost tail waggle.

I've just hopped in with them to do some cleaning and rearranging and that certainly caused some interactions. I'll watch carefully and see if its ears down tail up or more playful.

Rodney was very nippy with Primrose for their first year or so. I wonder if this is just that coming through again.

Back