• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding-in a 3rd or 4th bunny...?

Thanks both its really good to have the support. The shed was new to them all so they've only been in for a couple of weeks. I don't want to move them into the house as it'll be too warm (and OH won't be too chuffed) but I could consider the garage or shut the hutch off so the space is smaller? Thanks Marie I will do a car journey in a box and then do the sectioning off idea. I know my mistake was opening up the hutch too early. Actually as OH is in Oman until Wednesday, I could use part of the garage (move his gym out of the way)....and try that.
I think it's the worry of Lucy getting hurt that cripples me but having a plan is good! Ill keep you posted and thanks again.
It'll be worth it though, the set up will be great when Boyles finally deliver my run!
I may pm you Marie if I get stuck!
Sarah x

Sounds like you have a few options to try, both the garage or sectioned off hutch sound viable. Its always the girl buns :roll: Do keep us posted

Thanks both its really good to have the support. The shed was new to them all so they've only been in for a couple of weeks. I don't want to move them into the house as it'll be too warm (and OH won't be too chuffed) but I could consider the garage or shut the hutch off so the space is smaller? Thanks Marie I will do a car journey in a box and then do the sectioning off idea. I know my mistake was opening up the hutch too early. Actually as OH is in Oman until Wednesday, I could use part of the garage (move his gym out of the way)....and try that.
I think it's the worry of Lucy getting hurt that cripples me but having a plan is good! Ill keep you posted and thanks again.
It'll be worth it though, the set up will be great when Boyles finally deliver my run!
I may pm you Marie if I get stuck!
Sarah x

I agree with Babsie, I personally don't like the idea of stress bonding (car journey) As things seem to be good with 3 of them I wouldn't move them, as that will be unsettling. I would just section off the area where the hutch is and make their area smaller. I would also give the clean out and replace their litter etc, wash litter trays and bowls and use a mix of vinegar and water to neutralise the area again. Then put a large litter tray that they can all get in together - an underbed storage box is good, and put in loads of hay, and feed them a big pile of herbs if they are used to having it. Have you watched mischief and tinkers mum bonding video, that is very helpful.

I have bonded two trios. The first was with my lone female, and I introduced an already bonded pair of males. It went pretty well, and they lived very happily until both males passed away, a year apart, leaving Luna on her own again.

I have just last week finished a second trio bond. This time Luna was bonded to a male, and I added in another male. It has been difficult but is going well now. I would recommend a second male, over a female.

Some amazing advice for Sarah to try with her quad, I knew the collective wisdom here would be the way forward...!

The advice all seems to agree Sarah, you're doing really well (especially with 3 girls in the mix!):
- understandably, the group says 'no' to a car journey/stress bonding, especially in this case where there's no fighting (duly noted by me for my attempt later in the year, thank you, it did seem rather intense when I read about folks doing this!)
- smaller area of the hutch and lots more deodorising/neutralising, with perhaps big new litter trays and leafy food distractions sounds like the way to go...

The best of luck Sarah, please check back in and let us know how things are going later!

M x

Bonding bonding

I'm even dreaming about rabbits now, don't dare keep talking about this with my friends, they think I'm a mad rabbit lady! Thanks to you all, I now have a plan, I'm going to section off part of the shed area, change the litter trays ( I have an indoor cage so I'll use the bottom of it) , won't do the car journey thing, shut off the hutch and see how that goes. Tomorrow the joiner is coming (mainly to sort house things) but also to put the cat flap in the shed for when the run arrives, but ill keep it locked obviously. Hopefully they'll accept Lucy (Piper the white Nethie new male) is fine with her, its mainly Lavender who chases her.
Ok, so that's the cunning plan. I will post some photos of the buns this week with an update.
So glad I joined this forum!
Sarah x

Hi sarah - didn't realise you were bonding three girls - I'm impressed

To upload photos you have to use photobucket or similar

Hi, well 2 of the girls, Lavender and Jet (mini Rex) are sisters so have always been together, Lucy (lop) was bonded with Comet (RIP my lovely little rescue boy, old age) so I got another rescue boy when I lost Comet (Piper, completely bonkers nethie), had him neutered and then decided to try to put them all together. Lucy is a real softie (read wimp). I just want them to all be together so they can share a bigger space.
Urm, no idea how to use photo bucket... perhaps ill ask my teenage daughter tomorrow...lol
Thanks

Hi folks, thought I'd give you a quick update. I moved the 4 rabbits out of the shed, put them into a run ( heavy duty puppy pen type) this morning and left them there all day . All went quite well, Lucy and Lavender chased each other quite a bit at first but no fur flew. Piper, sweet boy, kept the peace and kept grooming them after spats as if to calm them down! Jet stayed out of it. Meanwhile, in between working from home, supervising the rabbits and the joiner (putting cat flap in shed), I totally cleaned out the shed. Closed the hutch door, neutralised the bottom of an indoor cage and filled with hay, put cardboard on the floor and set up a new neutral space. At 3.30 I put them all back in the shed, with kale, nibble treats etc. I have been checking them often and also sat with them for an hour. All is going well!! Jet and Piper are fine with any of them. Lucy and Lavender won't share the hay bed but at various times, Lucy was in it with Jet and Piper, or then Lavender was and Lucy sitting in one of the litter trays. There's 3 litter trays as well and a hay rack. Just been out to feed them some pellets. Lavender, Jet and Piper were sharing a large bowl and Lucy came to eat hers in a separate bowl but next to them. I've left them overnight as there was only one small fur tuft (Lucy) but no bites or anything. I didn't put the dog bed back in as that wasn't neutral, ill add that in once they are more secure. So far so good. I thought about letting Lucy back in the hutch for the night but decided that would set them back. Ill check them first thing before work. Took some photos but not worked out the photo thing yet... Sarah x

Yaaaay! That sounds like brilliant progress, I'm so pleased for you - you must be thrilled.
...you do realise you'll become a bunny legend on here for bonding 3 girls?!

My two are currently destroying shoe boxes under my bed (what *is* it with rabbits and cardboard?!); we really need a more docile peacemaker back in the troop, just like your lovely Piper!

Keeping fingers crossed for you, goes without saying, we would love to see the photos when you master the picture widget...

Marie
x

Slowly letting out my breath...

Hi, another day in Rabbitopia (my shed set up). Their first night together in the small sectioned off area, so far it's ok. A bit of fur this morning (Lucy's, good job she's so fluffy) but I checked her over and no scratches. Lucy and Lavender are still wary of each other, they did touch noses while I was watching but won't share a space. Lavender is the boss and sometimes jumps in the hay bed and Lucy jumps out. Lucy is nervous but did come over for veggies this morning ( but Lav chased her away so I gave her some separately. ). Fed them some pellets tonight in 2 bowls. Lucy tried to eat from the main bowl but Lav came over so she went to the other one. I'm satisfied they probably won't kill each other, I wonder if they'll ever be proper friends? I hope so, I feel sorry for Lucy who is the isolate at the moment. Do 4 rabbits ever really live as a family, or do they share a space with tolerance or hierarchy? I've had a trio before, but they were mother and daughters. Time will tell, its early days.
As for being a legend for bonding 3 girls Marie, we shall wait and see! I'm glad I got little Piper, he's really helping, apart from trying to escape all the time. I got him from a couple who hadn't a clue, tiny hutch in a shed, no hay (or straw) in it at all. Just sawdust and a couple of bowls. He was really nervous but he's really coming out of his shell, I only got him 4 months ago, straight to the vet and now he's all set!
Still can't work out the photo thing! I downloaded the photo bucket but can't get the next bit. I don't think I'm a technophobe, it just tends to be late at night when I get time to go online, so I'm probably overtired. Can't I just email someone the photos and you upload them? Lol
Sarah x

Hi, another day in Rabbitopia (my shed set up). Their first night together in the small sectioned off area, so far it's ok. A bit of fur this morning (Lucy's, good job she's so fluffy) but I checked her over and no scratches. Lucy and Lavender are still wary of each other, they did touch noses while I was watching but won't share a space. Lavender is the boss and sometimes jumps in the hay bed and Lucy jumps out. Lucy is nervous but did come over for veggies this morning ( but Lav chased her away so I gave her some separately. ). Fed them some pellets tonight in 2 bowls. Lucy tried to eat from the main bowl but Lav came over so she went to the other one. I'm satisfied they probably won't kill each other, I wonder if they'll ever be proper friends? I hope so, I feel sorry for Lucy who is the isolate at the moment. Do 4 rabbits ever really live as a family, or do they share a space with tolerance or hierarchy? I've had a trio before, but they were mother and daughters. Time will tell, its early days.
As for being a legend for bonding 3 girls Marie, we shall wait and see! I'm glad I got little Piper, he's really helping, apart from trying to escape all the time. I got him from a couple who hadn't a clue, tiny hutch in a shed, no hay (or straw) in it at all. Just sawdust and a couple of bowls. He was really nervous but he's really coming out of his shell, I only got him 4 months ago, straight to the vet and now he's all set!
Still can't work out the photo thing! I downloaded the photo bucket but can't get the next bit. I don't think I'm a technophobe, it just tends to be late at night when I get time to go online, so I'm probably overtired. Can't I just email someone the photos and you upload them? Lol
Sarah x

When I had my quad they did live together harmoniously, during bonding I did seem to have a trio and a single at times for a day or so but something just clicked and they all got on after that. You could try scatter feeding the pellets etc on the floor, saves any fighting over bowls :thumb: I used to do that all the time with my quad.

Ok thanks for that advice, I'll scatter some pellets. Ill have to sweep up first.
They are pooping everywhere so I have to sweep out twice a day. Lucy and Piper both used to use the tray but don't think they're settled enough yet. The sisters, Lavender and Jet never learnt that but ill try to retrain them all after they settle.
Once I have the run arrive, they'll have outside space as well so I could scatter food in the run, make it more fun.

Ok thanks for that advice, I'll scatter some pellets. Ill have to sweep up first.
They are pooping everywhere so I have to sweep out twice a day. Lucy and Piper both used to use the tray but don't think they're settled enough yet. The sisters, Lavender and Jet never learnt that but ill try to retrain them all after they settle.
Once I have the run arrive, they'll have outside space as well so I could scatter food in the run, make it more fun.

Litter habits went out the window during bonding but soon improved, if you keep up poop sweeping that should help. I wouldn't rush extending their space now or changing anything until at least 2 days of complete harmonious behaviour- no chasing, fur pulling etc. It sounds like it is going well:thumb:

Another day in rabbitopia. Lucy is a bit more outgoing, a bit of fur lying around but this time white (Piper or Lav?) Lavender and Lucy touch noses now without automatically chasing. Yes it's just a waiting game now. I won't extend their space Zoobec, that was my mistake last time. The run is taking AGES anyway (come on Boyles grrr) but I think a week or so of stability now will be good. I scattered pellets around today, they were all foraging so that gave them more space. Lucy still gets chased off but it's happening less now (hope I'm not just imagining that). Busy day at work today so it was an early visit to the shed, mad dash to the train and then evening sweep out and feed of the animals.
Sarah

Another day in rabbitopia. Lucy is a bit more outgoing, a bit of fur lying around but this time white (Piper or Lav?) Lavender and Lucy touch noses now without automatically chasing. Yes it's just a waiting game now. I won't extend their space Zoobec, that was my mistake last time. The run is taking AGES anyway (come on Boyles grrr) but I think a week or so of stability now will be good. I scattered pellets around today, they were all foraging so that gave them more space. Lucy still gets chased off but it's happening less now (hope I'm not just imagining that). Busy day at work today so it was an early visit to the shed, mad dash to the train and then evening sweep out and feed of the animals.
Sarah

It sounds like it is progressing nicely :thumb: fingers crossed :)

Back