• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding good so far, what now??!!

SuzieBlue

Young Bun
Can't believe it - I brought Phoebe home on Thursday and by Saturday evening she and Nermal were in love!
Phoebe is 11 weeks old and mental, Nermal is 11 months old and a big soppy baby.. (my fault).
When I brought Phoebe home it took her about 10 minutes to take over the entire house with her big personality! She's been diving about and getting into everything.. Nermal was less than impressed, and actually ignored her all night - he wouldn't go up to her cage, and when i held him and my boyfriend held Phoebe and we stood next to each other, Nermal actually turned his head away!!!
He humped her face on Friday, and she just squatted on the ground and then cleaned her face, and he was given solitary confinement..
They met again Sat morning and neither was interested, but then on Saturday night they went up to each other, put their heads on the ground and rubbed noses... Then there was some grooming on Sunday, and this morning there was more grooming, some playful hopping about together, and actually Nermal is really comfortable now - he was a bit wary of this tiny fast thing but loves her now, yeay!!

They haven't been swapping cages but they've been in each other's cages while out for a run and neither has been bothered, i was expecting more territorial behaviour. I just want to know what i should do now? It's going well and i don't want to upset the harmony, but i also don't want to get complacent as i want to get them to the stage where they can both have the run of the house at the same time and i don't necessarily have to supervise.. Do i just keep letting them have time together in the blocked-off hall and increase the time, then open up one room at a time? Help! :)

I think your suggestion sounds like the best option before giving the free range on the whole house :wave:

Back