• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Disaster

rineyroo

Mama Doe
It's been a while since I've posted on here. I've got a 9 year old neutered male who lost his partner last year. I got a new girl in May. I've been trying to get them to bond after leaving them side by side for a couple of weeks. Yesterday they had a massive fight so I don't think they will ever get on. I found bonding stressful and I've been very stressed at work as it is. I don't think I can take any more stress right now. I have decided I need to end the cycle of getting rabbits and that Chuckles really should be the last rabbit I have but I don't want him to be lonely. At the same time he doesn't get on with the female I've got and the rescue don't have any others at the moment. I'm in a bit of a dilemma really. Any advice?

Try him with another boy? Maybe on permanent foster, if they get on.
Has he had a recent health check? The new rabbit may be picking up on something you are unaware of.
He could just become a well loved single house bunny for the rest of his days.

Have you put them together in neutral territory. You say you got the girl in May so maybe by now she has become territorial. Do you know which one started the fight. Did your boy start chasing her?

They are both house rabbits. If Chuck stays single at least he would have me part of the day and the cats for company. He likes to wind them up. Yes, he had a health check before she came. They both went for each other. Yep, it was neutral territory.

It might be worth asking the rescue if they would consider trying to bond for you. If the two were together side-by-side for a couple of weeks, was there a period after that when they got along OK before the fight, or did the fight occur as soon as they were put together?

Other options are to try another male, as Shimmer said. Sometimes boys get along OK together. Or else just leave him as a single house rabbit.

Is she spayed? How long ago?
Were the cats around during the bonding?
Singles can be happy with enough enrichment.

Back