• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a group of 3 -am a nervous wreck!

Rykat

Mama Doe
Hi all

Further to my ramblings of:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172099&highlight=rykat

and more recently

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=192954&highlight=rykat

I have decided to try to bond Zander with Opal and Benji again. I have taken baby steps due to being a wuss and for the past 2 weeks they have been side by side in their crates, no fisty paws, no aggression so on Tuesday the big bond started.

Thanks to a lovely lady by the name of "Capel" :) I have all 3 in 1 cage and things had been going ok (albeit slowly and rocky) however today we had a major bust up between the boys.

Everything started ok, Zander ventured over to their side, Opal put her head down a bit and then hopped off, Zander went up to Benji and this time it was Benji who instigated it by boxing his nose, they backed off then about 15mins later it kicked off big style, Benji had hold of Zander's back and it was hard to split them ... however apart from grazes and big bald spots there are no bite wounds.

Took them all out in the car tonight, drove round for over half an hour, everything was fine, they were all laying by the side of each other but as soon as they went back in the cage Zander kicked off so I have takken the wuss road and put a grill barrier between them, my bottle has gone. I will persevere but I'm scared it's too much for Zander as roughly 8, the others are 3 ish.

I actually have it on video so will put it on YouTube when I can in case it shows anything I can't see.

How come rabbit bonding is so flippin hard? It's a wonder there are any rabbits in the wild!

Am sorry to hear it, something like that would knock my confidence majorly too. I haven't yet attempted mine - I asked a very kind rescue person to do it (which turned out to be the right thing as she is a bit of a tinker) and am not sure I could do it myself ever because I am such a wuss. Good on you for trying it yourself. Capel is brill, she's a friend of mine and has been a brick in helping me with my first rescue buns.
How many buns do you have now and is there a possibility of bonding an even number maybe or just sticking to pairs? I would love to bond them all together but am not sure I'd ever have the bottle to do it.

ps I am batmobile on Refuge too but haven't been on for a while. I have actually met your Rottie babies on a walk a couple of times a few years ago with a bunch of Fugees. :) I also used to live round the corner from you on the Wirral. Teehee. Small world.

How is it going? I would like to attempt this but daren't. Its a shame as we have a lovely home waiting, just darent do the bonding. Good luck.

It might be worth trying a little mashed banana or some sugarless stewed apple on each of their heads. Buns with a nice sweet tooth lick off 'treat' whilst bun being licked thinks they are being groomed.

It does leave a sticky head whcih will eventually be cleaned off, however if it does help move the relationship forward it is worth it.

I am reading with interest!!!! after putting it off time and again I've decided that this week the bond starts. Initially it will be a trio but in a few weeks I may add Ollie once he's neutered and healed. What is the general opinion,to bond a trio and at a later date make it a 4? or wait until Ollie is ready and do a 4 straight off? [think I'm looking for excuses again :oops:]

Ok, I have failed :( I have finally admitted defeat and given up. I feel a failure but after splitting up a serious fight where Zander attacked Benjy and wouldn't let go. However apart from some redness from pulled fur, there were no wounds. Zander became very quiet, so did Opal & Benjy and I admitted defeat.

The confusing thing is that now they're in their own homes, Zander spends alot of time in the litter tray by the side of Opal and Benjy.

I will NEVER understand rabbits ... we have 4 rottweilers and a boxer and we have managed to integrate each with less aggro and stress than trying to bond rabbits :lol:

I have another dilemma .... I have fallen in love with my foster bun and want to keep him but trying to bond a trio has shattered any confidence I had.

The only single buns I have are Harvey (unneutered, 9 yr), May (neutered, 6 yrs, dominant) and Zander ... I can't afford to bring in another bun to bond with Astrix but he's young so it's not fair to keep him alone ... I know it's going to break my heart when he's rehomed. Yesterday he did his first tooth purr, he now asks for a fuss and loves being kissed on his head.

I am definitly having goldfish in my next life!

Last edited:
reply to your question. rabbit behavior.

How come rabbit bonding is so flippin hard? It's a wonder there are any rabbits in the wild![/QUOTE]

Reply:
Rabbits always have on and off days, especially bucks (males), does (female) not so much but still can happen, i have 5 rabbits 2 girls, 3 boys all a family i bred them, some have gone to happy homes now :) i had one called Daisy who was a mum do 8 of them, i kept 2 out of 8 and found homes for rest, but neighbors dog killed her, by jumping over fence and traumatising her :'( IT WAS SO SAD THIS HAPPENED LAST YEAR AUG 29, I AM NEVER GOING TO GET OVER IT!
But, your problem is trying to get them to stop fighting isnt it?
this can not happen.
they will always have on and off days - this is very dangerous, i think you should only let them be together in same hutch or garden etc, if someone is watching them as this could kill them or seriously injur them if they do fight, and i wouldnt risk the rabbits lives.
one of my rabbits (Snowy) until he got to 6 weeks old, used to be friendly with his dad (Pipkin) until he got to 6 - 8 weeks, then they fight, and have never got on since, i think this is because he is now an adult, and all my bucks fight together, i have 2 does Sugar & Cola, i did have 3, Daisy, cola and daisy are mum and daughter cola is the mum daisy is daughter, they have always got on fine, and never had a fight, they were very sweet to watch together, they loved being together, cola was very depresses when daisy died because of neighbors dog, this could have been prevented by neighbors as we offered to pay half for a fence a few months b4 this happened, but they wouldnt, and we still havent got one yet,but they got rid of that dog (staff x) but they still have another staffie, but since this happened, cola had been without a buddy, as she is too old to be neigtured to go with the bucks and we have 3 bucks who all are very nervous or too old or somethi, also they can be expensive, my neighbor who i gave 2 of the 8 rabbits too (daisy babies) spice ran away and he sadly was found dead :'( , but they had sugar and couldnt look after her, so i had hrer bk, and a few months later i intreduced (nan&granddaughter) Cola & Sugar to each other in the kitchen, they were getting on great, but in the garden, they run away or have a little spat, i am still trying to get them used to each other, but havent tried in a while, i am going to get round to it now, and hopefully they will be fine and they will have a companion again, but i know they are fine in the kitchen, its just in the garden i have to sort now but even if they got on great, i would never put them in same hutch, NOT ANY RABBIT I WOULD, apart from cola and daisy, bcuz they have been together fro birth, but if boys then no, so i wouldnt put boys in same hutch ever, unless you are there to supervise but never in same hutch, in the garden if u r watching them that is fine.
my cuzin has 2 male rabbits diff breeds, one which i found that home for him as neighbor not looking after him he is not one of mine tho, but anyway they are bucks that get along fine, but they dont put them in same hutch, because anything can happen!
ALL ANIMALS ARE UNPREDICTABLE!
Hope this helps.

Rykat, I am not surprised you are a nervous wreck. I am only bonding two and it is very stressful at times. Unfortunately mine has resulted in a minor injury and a lot of fur pulling, I just hope that the bond in the end is worthwhile as they are such lovely bunnies.

Personally I cant bear the thought of lonely bunnies and I wouldnt have either of these two on their lonesome, unless one of them really couldnt be bonded with another bunny - ie if I tried and tried, and perhaps a professional tried and it didnt work.

That said, I know of several people who have successfully bonded groups or male-male bonds. I imagine it is incredibly difficult though.

Can you get some advice from a rescue near you who is more experienced at the bonding or who could possibly do it for you? That would be my advice before proceeding.

Also, I dont know if the age thing is a concern or not - again I'd take advice on it. You know your bunnies best.

I have another dilemma .... I have fallen in love with my foster bun and want to keep him but trying to bond a trio has shattered any confidence

I am definitly having goldfish in my next life!

You may find a 4 easier to bond than a trio!!! Less likely to have 1 bun left out etc.

I've even been put off goldfish next time round :oops:!!

Back