• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blueberry's mystery illness UD p145 got through to Molly

Got a call today - Molly wants the cardiologist to be present as well when he's scanned so we've rearranged to next Thursday. I'm a bit concerned today as he's "off" again. He's been brilliant for the past week since his procedure, but this morning I had the sixth sense screaming at me again :( It's so hard being patient when I have those feelings, I want to do something to help him immediately not sit and wait. I trust Molly though and if she wants the cardiologist and he's well enough to wait a week, I'll try to sit on my paranoia and squash it down.

We touched on Badger's death in my CBT today and that's a major driving force behind my fear and paranoia for Blueberry. I let Badger down, and have a lot of hatred and guilt of myself for that. I can't let his brother down. I love him for both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know exactly what you mean about a sixth sense .. hard to ignore and you shouldn't. However, if you have total confidence in Molly (who wouldn't?) then it seems like the best thing to wait and get a better picture of what's going on.

Good luck for next week xx

Hi Sarah,

Bella had heart disease and an enlarged heart. She was put on fortekor and she lived a further 5 months. Flopsy had both kidney disease and heart disease. With the kidney disease he coped well with being on fortekor and twice daily metacam. He was then less than a year later diagnosed with heart disease. He lived with kidney disease for over a year and a half and the heart disease for 6 months. Flopsy was on vetmedin for his heart disease, which worked great.

Please try not to get too worked up about it, I know how upsetting it is finding out that they are poorly. Kidney disease/and or heart disease can be managed and once stable they can live a happy life. I really hope that Blueberry remains as well as possible for a very long time. X

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Bella and Flopsy, it helps to hear from others who have experienced similar things :) I'm hoping that as he's young and otherwise (hopefully) healthy, that we've caught it early enough that with careful care, monitoring and medication, that he can live many more years yet :love: I'm not as upset as I would be if it were something that meant instant death if that makes sense? I don't mind a bun on medication to manage a chronic health problem, it's what we sign up for when we bring them into our lives and hearts, we do our best for them always xx

Mini update on Blueberry today for his followers and well wishers.

He seems loads better this evening, he's done some very graceful jumps onto the bale of Fitch and off again, plus did not want to be weighed or have a manicure! :lol: I noticed my girls had long nails at the weekend so I've been going round with the clippers ever since, poor bunnies :lol:

He seems to be particularly enjoying fibafirst, broccoli and herbs at the moment. I bought a load of herbs last night just for him, gave him some parsley this afternoon and he wasn't bothered :roll: little sod :lol: but he's 1.53kg this evening, so we're doing something right! :love: I actually looked at him tonight and thought how chunky he was looking :love:

I don't know what happens when you have an ultrasound, I don't know if I'll get the results immediately on Thursday or if we have to wait. But I'm hoping we finally get a diagnosis and a treatment plan of action.

I'm quite excited really. I hope that's not a bad thing for me to feel! :oops: but I'm looking forward to meeting Molly and having her look at Blueberry in the fur and maybe finally get some answers! Plus I've been working stupid hours recently as well so it's something different to do too.

He sounds like he's doing really well :thumb: I take it its herbs all round for everybun else seeing as he doesn't want them ;)

Keeping good thoughts for Blueberry and I hope his ultrasound goes well. :) From my experience I think they can give you a brief synopsis of the results on the day, but may have a radiologist look at it further if not and it's a few days to a week over here. If the cardio is there, she'll possibly tell you what's what right then.

(((((Gentle hugs))))) for you to help quash any anxiety or fear. I know well how it creeps up and bites you when you're not looking, and it's ten times worse when you are. :( xxxx

Here we are waiting to be seen. He's done very well on the way here and was 1.53kg at his last weigh in :love:
33d9e969b83ba43628f05be0737ad6c9.jpg

Here we are waiting to be seen. He's done very well on the way here and was 1.53kg at his last weigh in :love:
33d9e969b83ba43628f05be0737ad6c9.jpg

Awwwwww. "Lots of floofy" alert!!! Good luck :)

So he had the scan and it's not a heart condition. A lot of what she said was a bit complicated for me to understand and remember, but here's my best shot:
She got a blood sample to do another test to check some chemical/hormone/thing. There was talk of albumen in bloods and urea and this is where I got confused and baffled by science!
He has a congenital problem in his spine something to do with a thorax ie two vertebrae are slightly enlarged, but not causing any issues. She agrees with me completely that if I were to stop what I'm currently doing ie extra food, he'll lose weight again and that is a concern that he can't maintain his weight. So a gastric ulcer has been mentioned.

He's been put on Zantac 3x daily and metacam 2x daily. I didn't know metacam was an anti inflammatory as well as a painkiller?

Molly didn't discharge him though, this is what she told me when she told me when they'd finished the scan and he was waking up. A vet nurse discharged him and didn't have a clue about his case such as next steps, how long he's got to take this medication etc. So I was a bit miffed at that, but she's going to ask Molly to call me today to go through everything with me again and I'll ask her then.

Otherwise my poor boy has been shaved over his ribs and chest which now matches both his shaved ears. He's taking his meds straight from the syringe like a little trooper though and is nice and bright within himself. He's following me everywhere and particularly enjoying sneaking out of his room into my step sons room and hiding under the bed! :lol:

Awww bless him!! Good to hear that the heart is ok. Paws crossed he now improves :)

Glad to hear he is feeling ok, good that it's not his heart. Hope it's something easily treated :) xx

Totally missed this last week.:oops:

So glad he's not got heart problems.

Thank you for looking out for his thread :love:

I'm going to be calling Molly tomorrow to ask the questions I didn't get to ask on Thursday and shall take it from there. He was weighed tonight at 1.55kg :love: still taking his medicine straight from the syringe no problems :love: although he much prefers the metacam to Zantac, he seems to think it's a treat :lol: so so so proud of my boy :love:

Am so pleased it's not his heart! :D xx

Sending lots of vibes - hope he continues to do well! Lovely pic of the two bunnies!!

Thank you for looking out for his thread :love:

I'm going to be calling Molly tomorrow to ask the questions I didn't get to ask on Thursday and shall take it from there. He was weighed tonight at 1.55kg :love: still taking his medicine straight from the syringe no problems :love: although he much prefers the metacam to Zantac, he seems to think it's a treat :lol: so so so proud of my boy :love:

Good news that his heart is OK :thumb:

You will feel better when Molly has explained everything. In the meantime, isn't he a good boy with his meds?

If there was mention of a gastric ulcer then it's very important he has Zantac as well as Metacam, which as you rightly say is an anti inflammatory as well as a pain killer (like Ibuprofen for humans).

Hope you can keep his weight up. I have that issue with two of mine for different reasons ... I use porridge oats and sunflower seeds, which they love and are good for them (in small amounts :lol:)

Only just spotted this thread & have read the whole thing.
I really hope you find out what's going on and it's something treatable, sounds like Blueberry is being well looked after and is doing well, I hope this continues :love:. Sending lots of vibes xx

Good news that his heart is OK :thumb:

You will feel better when Molly has explained everything. In the meantime, isn't he a good boy with his meds?

If there was mention of a gastric ulcer then it's very important he has Zantac as well as Metacam, which as you rightly say is an anti inflammatory as well as a pain killer (like Ibuprofen for humans).

Hope you can keep his weight up. I have that issue with two of mine for different reasons ... I use porridge oats and sunflower seeds, which they love and are good for them (in small amounts :lol:)

Oh yes I definitely make him take the Zantac 3x daily. I chase him round the room with it (not literally!) shoving it under his nose until he takes it :lol: he comes running for his metacam though and won't give me the syringe back until he's got every last drop :love: so I give him the Zantac first then the metacam so he gets something nice for being a good boy and taking Zantac. The third time where he just has Zantac I give him a fenugreek Crunchie.

I just prefer bunnies who take their meds nicely. I hate fighting with them :( Jacquetta and Lady Katherine are awful for taking meds and they're a bit big for me to restrain unless I sit on them! :shock: (for clarity I kneel down with them between my knees so they can't back up even though they try, I don't literally sit on them!!) Cherry's the worst for taking medicine, but she's nice and small and easily restrained.

Only just spotted this thread & have read the whole thing.
I really hope you find out what's going on and it's something treatable, sounds like Blueberry is being well looked after and is doing well, I hope this continues :love:. Sending lots of vibes xx

Thank you :love: I do adore him, only the best for my boy :love:

Thank you :love: I do adore him, only the best for my boy :love:

We all do our best by them, I never ignore my gut instict/6th sense with them. When you know you know, it's so strange and it's happened to me on several occasions now with my most recent rabbits, Daisy twice lately. At the beginning of Feb she had a really bad inner ear infection and recovered thankfully after being admitted and I took her back last night as something wasn't right and she is now blind in both eyes but she is managing fine and is fine in herself, it's just funny how sometimes you know but can't quite put your finger on it.
He looks a sweet little thing and I am sure the cause will be found soon :love: xx

Back