• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blueberry's mystery illness UD p145 got through to Molly

Try not to be too vexed if you don't find the cause, hard as it is. If you can have a lot of major bad things ruled out and find a way of managing it then it is not the end of the world. We never found out what was wrong with Shadow until we lost him under GA. He had several episodes of losing weight and not been in great health but it was incredibly hard to find out exactly what was wrong with him before the PM as he had a congenital problem with his liver, one that FHB had never come across in a rabbit before:( You might just have to accept that he needs TLC. I do hope you get some clear answers though, I know it's much easier to deal with both practically and emotionally.

Try not to be too vexed if you don't find the cause, hard as it is. If you can have a lot of major bad things ruled out and find a way of managing it then it is not the end of the world. We never found out what was wrong with Shadow until we lost him under GA. He had several episodes of losing weight and not been in great health but it was incredibly hard to find out exactly what was wrong with him before the PM as he had a congenital problem with his liver, one that FHB had never come across in a rabbit before:( You might just have to accept that he needs TLC. I do hope you get some clear answers though, I know it's much easier to deal with both practically and emotionally.

This exactly. I'll never really know what's up with Hector's digestive system; I've just now found a way to manage it through diet. It's frustrating because, at times, it can start to go wrong but I can spot it now before it goes really wrong. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try not to be too vexed if you don't find the cause, hard as it is.

I'd like to second this. I know we all want to know what the cause is for something ailing our buns, but the truth is it's sometimes just not possible. Best case scenario it might actually resolve itself before you get to the bottom of it, especially if treatments are having an effect, there are cases where resolving symptoms can actually correct imbalances that then don't recur. Equally if it was something transient that Blueberry's immune system will take care of, or a reaction to something she was exposed to that is not no longer an issue (and it could be anything from a batch of pellets that had something she was allergic to, to a bale of hay that had been contaminated with a plant that only she had a sensitive reaction to) then you may never know for sure what it was. Alternatively, rabbit health is still a pretty poorly researched field of expertise, and it's still more than likely that a bun might have something 'new' that baffles even the most established professional.

It's really fantastic though that you're getting consultation from such a prestigious rabbit expert. I really hope she can help you keep little Blueberry healthy!

this is so much like what I'm going through with Maverick.. sudden unexpalined weightloss and at the moment all tests appear inconclusive. I'm glad Blueberry is improving and that you get some answers too. I fully understand you wanting an answer, I feel the same.

My boy tonight :love:
6df89d03c5c9ea4f64f28031331f810c.jpg

1.46kg! And he led me on a right merry dance trying to catch him for his weigh in :love: if he keeps this up he'll be back to his healthy weight within a week :love: he's my little superstar :love:

My boy tonight :love:
6df89d03c5c9ea4f64f28031331f810c.jpg

1.46kg! And he led me on a right merry dance trying to catch him for his weigh in :love: if he keeps this up he'll be back to his healthy weight within a week :love: he's my little superstar :love:

:love:

So I just got a call from Megan - Blueberry's results are all back and gone to Molly. No infectious diseases like EC so yay to that! *does happy dance* he's positive for myxomatosis which due to the vaccine antibodies and that's normal apparently.

From his blood and urine tests Molly thinks some renal disease is likely, but only very early stages and not advanced enough to give the weight loss we've seen. So due to his slow heart rate and slightly enlarged heart, we're looking more at heart disease than anything else.

Next step is to have an ultrasound done on his heart. Molly's going to call me either today or tomorrow to arrange getting that done over at her surgery as he's well enough to travel at the moment and I feel it's beneficial for Molly to have a good look at him in the fur so to speak. That's probably going to be next week - I feel like we're getting somewhere! :D

i'm glad you have some answers so know what you're trying to treat. that's half the battle sometimes isn't it. vibes x

Blueberry's mystery illness UD p110 results are back

Blueberry has an appt to see Molly at 11.30 on Friday! Fingers crossed for us on Friday please :)

Last edited:
Got a call today - Molly wants the cardiologist to be present as well when he's scanned so we've rearranged to next Thursday. I'm a bit concerned today as he's "off" again. He's been brilliant for the past week since his procedure, but this morning I had the sixth sense screaming at me again :( It's so hard being patient when I have those feelings, I want to do something to help him immediately not sit and wait. I trust Molly though and if she wants the cardiologist and he's well enough to wait a week, I'll try to sit on my paranoia and squash it down.

We touched on Badger's death in my CBT today and that's a major driving force behind my fear and paranoia for Blueberry. I let Badger down, and have a lot of hatred and guilt of myself for that. I can't let his brother down. I love him for both of them

Awwwww! Blueberry is so so squishy and lovely. I hope you get some answers. :love:

Hi Sarah,

Bella had heart disease and an enlarged heart. She was put on fortekor and she lived a further 5 months. Flopsy had both kidney disease and heart disease. With the kidney disease he coped well with being on fortekor and twice daily metacam. He was then less than a year later diagnosed with heart disease. He lived with kidney disease for over a year and a half and the heart disease for 6 months. Flopsy was on vetmedin for his heart disease, which worked great.

Please try not to get too worked up about it, I know how upsetting it is finding out that they are poorly. Kidney disease/and or heart disease can be managed and once stable they can live a happy life. I really hope that Blueberry remains as well as possible for a very long time. X

Back