• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blossom not Herself

Oh bless, glad she's home that's the main thing. Really hope that they calm down after the initial excitement. Sending more get well vibes for Blossom, and calming vibes for the both of them :D

I'm glad she's home. I'm sure she will feel happier there. You might find that by the morning, Rodney will have calmed down a bit. If she is looking as though she wants to be with him and he doesn't upset her, I think I would give it another go having them together tomorrow. Choose a time when you can be close by to intervene if necessary.

They're sat staring at each other. I think we'll try them together again maybe at sleepy time so Rodney isn't quite so active.

I hadn't realised how hard it would be to syringe a bunny with head tilt, her uppy side is thankfully the side I usually feed on as I find it easier with the syringe on my right hand.

Hubby had to stabilise her as she needed more support than usual to stay upright. She took half her critical care so will do some more later.

No eating or poo yet but it's been a stressful day for her and fingers crossed we'll have some overnight. Thankfully she seems to be able to drink using our bottle.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the vibes. Here she is!
2a94424999012572ed7e40c1138a72f2.jpg

Her tilt is not too bad. It could take time for tilt to go away, yet her balance will soon improve.
You deserve praise for catching this so quickly so she got good results from her care.
Sending vibes she is soon well enough to keep up with Rodney.At least it will be easier to monitor eating and output if they are side by side.

I think you might need to keep them apart now until Blossom has completed her treatment. With head tilt any stress will exacerbate the dizziness which can result in lots of rolling and falling over. Stress induced gut stasis too as feeling so dizzy and not being very mobile is scary. Housing them side by side so they can interact through bars is likely to be the safest option unless you can be with them 24/7 . Sending more vibes for her xx

We had a look at her movements this morning and have come to the conclusion we'll wait until she's much steadier or is used to it if it's permenant.

I've ordered her a hugger bed as she seems to enjoy being wedged in on the sides with a heat pad underneath.

She ate all her breakfast syringe feed and romaine lettuce this morning so now we just need to get the hay going in.

Fresh food seems to work much better if we hand feed her, so I'm wondering if we might need to do that with the hay until she's used to her new angle.

Oh my goodness I'm sorry I've not really been around :( poor Blossom! I hope she adjusts quickly, sending lots of vibes for you all. She's in great hands with you x

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

We had a look at her movements this morning and have come to the conclusion we'll wait until she's much steadier or is used to it if it's permenant.

I've ordered her a hugger bed as she seems to enjoy being wedged in on the sides with a heat pad underneath.

She ate all her breakfast syringe feed and romaine lettuce this morning so now we just need to get the hay going in.

Fresh food seems to work much better if we hand feed her, so I'm wondering if we might need to do that with the hay until she's used to her new angle.

Is she on any medication to help reduce the dizziness, eg Prochlorperazine ?

Try offering her some hand cut fresh grass if she won’t eat hay. Not too much if she is not used to it.

Is she on any medication to help reduce the dizziness, eg Prochlorperazine ?

Try offering her some hand cut fresh grass if she won’t eat hay. Not too much if she is not used to it.
No just metacam, rantidine and pancur at the moment. They said because she's not rolling or falling they didn't think she needed it. She seems comfiest when flopped against something.

She is getting about OK just no where near steady enough for us to consider Rodney near her as he's such a chaser and fur puller.

I will send hubby out to his Mums for grass as she's got lovely long stuff.

The vet called and her blood tests are all good, no indication of infection or liver/kidney issues although I know kidney problems have to be quite bad to be picked up.

Just waiting for the EC result now but with all the diagnostics it's unlikely to be anything else.

How is best to clean her eye on the lower side?

I can see the fur is a bit wet, I've observed her cleaning and don't think she's managing that. I don't want her uncomfortable if we can help with it.

How is best to clean her eye on the lower side?

I can see the fur is a bit wet, I've observed her cleaning and don't think she's managing that. I don't want her uncomfortable if we can help with it.

Maybe just a gentle wipe with cooled boiled water on a cotton pad?

That's what I did for one of mine when she couldn't clean properly

Thank you that worked a treat.

She's just had her meds and come out and booped hubby in the bum while he was cleaning her poo! Lovely to see her getting back to herself.

I'm sorry to be asking for more help, I've checked her undercarriage and there's a lot of dirt and matted poo. I've done what I can with some cotton wool and rubbing it gently but it's still quite bad especially her tail, it seems more poo than urine.

She was getting stressed and tilting back into hubby so I gave up and dried her off.

I think we'll need to do this twice a day for a bit, is just wetting it and drying her best? I'm concerned about her getting cold.

Thank you that worked a treat.

She's just had her meds and come out and booped hubby in the bum while he was cleaning her poo! Lovely to see her getting back to herself.

I'm sorry to be asking for more help, I've checked her undercarriage and there's a lot of dirt and matted poo. I've done what I can with some cotton wool and rubbing it gently but it's still quite bad especially her tail, it seems more poo than urine.

She was getting stressed and tilting back into hubby so I gave up and dried her off.

I think we'll need to do this twice a day for a bit, is just wetting it and drying her best? I'm concerned about her getting cold.

Yes, if hubby holds her on his lap, head facing him you can clean up her bum. Advise hubby to hold on to her very firmly, obviously not too firm, but so he gives off ‘confident’ vibes. If he can kneel on the floor with her on his lap even better. The higher up a head tilt Bunny is lifted the more dizzy and stressed they become.

I would ask the Vet for some eye lubricant to use to protect the corneas. You can gently bathe the eye that is weeping using cooled boiled black tea. Black tea has mild antibacterial properties.

Thank you, we managed to keep her much steadier this time. She actually seemed to enjoy having her eye cleaned.

I had no appreciation for how stubbon matted poo is! Her poor tail, and her fur is short so not easily cut.

I think maybe we'll be returning to the vets for a shave, if I don't manage to get it out by Monday.

Thank you, we managed to keep her much steadier this time. She actually seemed to enjoy having her eye cleaned.

I had no appreciation for how stubbon matted poo is! Her poor tail, and her fur is short so not easily cut.

I think maybe we'll be returning to the vets for a shave, if I don't manage to get it out by Monday.

I expect you know to be ultra vigilant re Flystrike. I would use flying insect deterrents and put a fly screen over her cage. An old net curtain would suffice. Personally I have never used a Flystrike preventer on a Rabbit, but if I did I would use F10 Insecticidal Wound Spray rather than Rearguard.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/F10-Products-Germicidal-Wound-Spray-with-Insecticide/c22592/

Yeaaa a poopy butt is tough, and pulling on it gently can rip their skin, cutting can be tricky too, their skin is soo delicate. I have to give Atticus bum baths frequently, sometimes daily.

I've found if you can get warm water and a bit of baby shampoo and you hold the bun kinda in a leaned forward standing position against your body, facing away from you. And have their bum and feet standing in the water, so they are nice and supported against your body. Then with the other hand I usually put it underneath them and kinda uhh Idk what the word is, but the poop slowly softens and then comes away in my hand. Normally only takes about 5 mins, but it's the only reliable way I've found to get the poop off, I do a few water changes in between too, then tbh I just towel dry him well (I use several towels-oh and I squeegee his legs and tail with my hand coz the fur holds so much water [emoji38])

Its extra difficult if she's unsteady tho I know :(

If you're worried about urine scald, I used to wipe Clementine every hour or so with water wipes (baby butt wipes) when she couldn't move, and she literally never got sore, even though she couldn't get into a position to pee and just peed where she sat, she couldn't move either. So I really rate those for that!

Another tip when you have to pick her up, cover her eyes if you can. It seems to reduce the dizziness and subsequent panic if there is no visual stimuli when being picked up.

Back