• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Choking on Water

I'm sorry I've not been around at all much lately, and now just asking for help.

Blossom was drinking earlier. It was a big drink and she coughed a few times and then sneezed out some water.

Now I've seen Rodney cough occasionally after drinking and the vet hasn't been too concerned about that, he had a bit of irritation that metacam seemed to clear mostly.

But I've never seen the sneezing out before, does that mean she's aspirated the water? I've checked her and she's breathing normally and eating now but I know there's a pneumonia risk.

Should I be getting her checked out or just keep an eye on her for symptoms?

Rodney seems to be being off with her, nippy etc and I'm wondering if he senses something I don't.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Sneezing out water can happen, but it shouldn’t be a regular thing. The only way to check for signs of aspirational pneumonia to to listen to her lungs using a stethoscope. I personally think it would be unlikely in this siruation, but I can’t give you a 100% guarantee. If you remain concerned then I’d call the Vet for advice. Chest auscultation would need to be done within 12-24 hours of the incident.

Sending vibes. Perhaps she sneezed for another reason while drinking. Unless other symptoms then perhaps monitor closely.

She seems fine, she's just chucked the offending water bowl over impetuously as it wasn't full enough for her.

She's very angry about the handling though. I'll keep a close eye on her. I do worry especially after the EC episode I know I need to be vigilant for everything.

Its horrible when you get that niggling feeling that something might not be 100%. I remember either Mouse or Boo choking on water but despite trawling threads I can't find it nor remember what happened. Lots of well wishes for Blossom. I miss your bunnies:love:

I think that what I would do in the circumstances is just watch her more carefully than usual. It's certainly the case with my bunnies, especially Tui, that she has episodes of quite manic sneezing, when I imagine that she could have all sorts of health issues. So far, thankfully, none of the episodes have led to anything and they do happen quite rarely. That said, I think that all abnormal symptoms are well worth taking seriously and monitoring for a while more closely.

I hope that Blossom remains well and that she gives no further cause for concern. Sending lots of best wishes to both of your lovely bunnies :love:

I wonder if Blossom wants a full bowl of water because she does not want to put her head down as far when she drinks. Can you raise her bowl a little higher?

They're bowls are all raised on a box because Rodney prefers that.

I think it's because she dips her toes in before washing her face and she can only do that if it's full. She's a funny girl when it comes to cleaning.

So far so good she seems her usual self and is snoozing away after her attempt at the sofa this morning.
ba3a34dfed79506fda14758214169a80.jpg

Back